Scotland Tonight

14 minutes ago, islanderbear84 said:

A very interesting arguement tonight from Professor Sir Tom Devine who is a historian and he puts all of the current sectarian uproar down to the media. It sells papers simply. But it has long gone from the days of where it refelcted something worse in society. That part has gone and all it is now is singing at a game and people go home to their families. The media want it to be a sign of a bigger issue as in west central scotland this type of fanfare fills shelf space. 

Good to hear the opinion of someone with a brain on the matter on the TV for a change.

Need to get this on catch up. Sounds interesting. 👍

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Need to get this on catch up. Sounds interesting. 👍

I maybe reacted to this first part of his arguement too quickly as he rounded off by saying that he is a catholic himself and that there is no evidence denominational schools cause further sectarian divides. 

He had started so well!

But he clearly lays a big chunk of the blame with the media. The singing etc is a football specific thing now and people throwing chairs, bottles, coins etc etc is just football hooligan behaviour but to suggest it is sectarian is ludicrous!

1 minute ago, islanderbear84 said:

I maybe reacted to this first part of his arguement too quickly as he rounded off by saying that he is a catholic himself and that there is no evidence denominational schools cause further sectarian divides. 

He had started so well!

But he clearly lays a big chunk of the blame with the media. The singing etc is a football specific thing now and people throwing chairs, bottles, coins etc etc is just football hooligan behaviour but to suggest it is sectarian is ludicrous!

No pape is going to condemn segregated schools but he is right about the media.

It used to be the case that audiences in Glasgow theatres would throw stuff at an act that they thought was rubbish, no news paper headlines back then.

33 minutes ago, islanderbear84 said:

A very interesting arguement tonight from Professor Sir Tom Devine who is a historian and he puts all of the current sectarian uproar down to the media. It sells papers simply. But it has long gone from the days of where it refelcted something worse in society. That part has gone and all it is now is singing at a game and people go home to their families. The media want it to be a sign of a bigger issue as in west central scotland this type of fanfare fills shelf space. 

Good to hear the opinion of someone with a brain on the matter on the TV for a change.

He won't be invited back.

1 minute ago, Theulstervolunteer said:

Devine’s a papish bastard . It’s no coincidence that as soon as the tarriers are pulled into the debate for their singing and behaviour all of a sudden it’s not as bad an issue as first thought ....

True. By the end of his diatribe I realised it was mostly to serve the dark side of the city. Had there been no outing of their pro-terrorist 'folks songs' and only our songs in the limelight, im sure he would have been on with a different tune.

8 minutes ago, scottyscott1963 said:

Heard Fraser the  shitebag players rep on mumbling something about protecting players.
Hell fuckin mend you all.
Players were assaulted at Hampden a couple of years ago,one in particular was Lee Wallace who was on the receiving end of shitey abuse,even on International duty and you never uttered a word ya utter cunt.
This was an attack on a member club for years and reap what you sow ya fuckin clowns. 

Pretty sure Wishart did complain about the threat to player's safety that day. 

2 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Pretty sure Wishart did complain about the threat to player's safety that day. 

Said it under his breath instead of shouting from the rooftops,and actually calling for sanctions against the club who's fans were responsible.

7 minutes ago, Theulstervolunteer said:

Devine’s a papish bastard . It’s no coincidence that as soon as the tarriers are pulled into the debate for their singing and behaviour all of a sudden it’s not as bad an issue as first thought ....

I knew there had to be a reason for Devine sounding half reasonable (I did not hear him myself), you have just hit the nail on the head with why he will have been saying it is no great deal. :thumbup:

10 minutes ago, scottyscott1963 said:

Said it under his breath instead of shouting from the rooftops,and actually calling for sanctions against the club who's fans were responsible.

He was pretty rooftop shouty. Condemned the behaviour and threat to players' safety and called for an inquiry which, given only one set of players was attacked by one set of fans, is effectively a call for a probe of the actions of Hibs supporters. 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/shocking-new-hibernian-Rangers-fan-8034397

Just wait till the fenian msp dornan produces his SL.
We have to be on our guard when he starts waving it about.
We aint asking for favours,just the same treatment across the board.
But you can bet your last thin fuckin dime that I am watching you ya fuckin weasel.

8 minutes ago, Inigo said:

He was pretty rooftop shouty. Condemned the behaviour and threat to players' safety and called for an inquiry which, given only one set of players was attacked by one set of fans, is effectively a call for a probe of the actions of Hibs supporters. 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/shocking-new-hibernian-Rangers-fan-8034397

You win.

I called for an inquiry as well.
He should've been kicking doors in,in regards to players he is responsible for.
All of a sudden 3 years down the road he appears,and the team responsible are now throwing buckfast bottles at players.

I think there's a few factors to it. The media is definitely one of them. Politics another, using this as a way to generate publicity & votes. Social media has a big part to play as well, as it gives the snowflakes a platform.

The current "sectarianism" is practically non existent compared to the 90s, and it was probably worse before then. Yet it is now being branded as a big problem because a fenian got called a fenian?

2 minutes ago, scottyscott1963 said:

You win.

I called for an inquiry as well.
He should've been kicking doors in,in regards to players he is responsible for.
All of a sudden 3 years down the road he appears,and the team responsible are now throwing buckfast bottles at players.

In terms of public pronouncements, which was your complaint, he did what he should gave done. Part of his job is diplomacy, so I'd expect much of what he'd do to be behind the scenes. Neither you nor I know anything about that. And I'd say it's pretty unreasonable to make him responsible in any way for what Hibs fans (and various other fans, including ours) are doing 3 years later.

See this kind of stuff, it's not helpful. Just makes us come across as perpetual greetin faces if we start attacking folk like Fraser Wishart, who's pretty obviously a decent guy with no axe to grind. 

Just now, BLUEDIGNITY said:

IMG_0786.JPG.8477d6f55240542d4b67f6256fc971cd.JPG

:lol:

You're doing well tonight mate ...... a picture says 10,000 words ...... but a picture of a chicken supper speaks volumes about the sly tricks the tarriers will get up to to play down any part in the so called  divide their sectarian club is involved in ... and also being wound up by the complicit media to point the finger towards Ibrox.

:UK: