We want Dembele money for Morelos - Robertson

8 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

To be fair Diego Dalot was signed by Man Utd from an established Champions League side who have developed a reputation for churning out players who go on the be comfortable players at that level over a number of years. We haven’t developed that sort of reputation yet.

We haven't but it shows that clubs are still willing to take gambles on players who, away from their club's reputation's, have yet to really do anything on the 'big stage.' If a club thinks he'll improve their side - or has the potential to go improve a lot - then the homegrown thing will go out the window.

Another key element of this is the importance of the player to the selling club. Morelos is far more important to us than Dembele was to them. Any deal has to be on our terms considering what we would lose. If our striker situation in the summer (or whenever) is as it is now, then it needs to be silly money so that we are confident of acquiring real quality to replace what we're selling. I'm also not too concerned about the fallout that could come from us turning down deals. Folks talking about the possibility of Morelos downing tools, but it hampers his own prospects as much as our's. His performance (including attitude), market value and the calibre of club he could go to after us are all linked. Hope he keeps his head down, keeps firing them in and he will no doubt go on to a better level than this league of our's can produce.

7 minutes ago, Dread said:

Morelos will rightly earn us a substantial return on our investment in him - he's a good striker who is still developing towards his potential.

But we're setting ourselves up for disappointment if we think it'll be a £20 million fee, or even half that, without him demonstrating a few things to potential suitors. Chiefly, playing well over a decent number of games against quality opposition, and demonstrating that he has the brains to go with his obvious skill & power.

More encouraging is that we seem to be on the right track. Buying rough diamonds & polishing them up has to be our approach - the days of off-the-peg quality will not be back for a few seasons at least. When eventually we do part with him (I'd accept £8m right now, hopefully more in a year), we must ensure that his replacement(s) are already scouted & ready to sign.

Accept 8m now? Aye that seems smart.

11 minutes ago, Dread said:

Morelos will rightly earn us a substantial return on our investment in him - he's a good striker who is still developing towards his potential.

But we're setting ourselves up for disappointment if we think it'll be a £20 million fee, or even half that, without him demonstrating a few things to potential suitors. Chiefly, playing well over a decent number of games against quality opposition, and demonstrating that he has the brains to go with his obvious skill & power.

More encouraging is that we seem to be on the right track. Buying rough diamonds & polishing them up has to be our approach - the days of off-the-peg quality will not be back for a few seasons at least. When eventually we do part with him (I'd accept £8m right now, hopefully more in a year), we must ensure that his replacement(s) are already scouted & ready to sign.

Tarrier.

29 minutes ago, Dread said:

Surely this is a banning offence?

tenor.gif

44 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

To be fair Diego Dalot was signed by Man Utd from an established Champions League side who have developed a reputation for churning out players who go on the be comfortable players at that level over a number of years. We haven’t developed that sort of reputation yet.

People just don't get it 

A big advantage with Morelos  to buyers is the fact he has improved with us each season and is still very young for an established striker. You could understand a manager like Pep seeing the improvement SG has made in Mo's game and seeing the further improvement his team could make to him.

He is really unusual being so tough, strong over the ball, his ability to turn and ragdoll defenders at his age. Imagine what he could be like when he matures and fills out more. Pretty sure he'll be getting watched closely by quite a few teams.

He is not the finished article yet. Love him to bits. He has completely won me over after I had some serious doubts about his finishing/mentality etc last season.

However, 15m or thereabouts is what we will get in my opinion.

He suits the way we play, he may not find himself in this position elsewhere where a team will more than likely look to adjust his game for them.

Stay another season ya wee madman. I'm not ready for you to leave yet.

Assuming Morelos wants to leave in the Summer, he will be going to one of the top divisions in Europe. They have money to burn. Bids to start at 20 million or he stays with is to win (hopefully) another title.

SG has said we will not be selling him on the cheap.I take some comfort in that but it's not his decision to make. I wish it was.

10 hours ago, MurrayWilson said:

I will make a prediction here and now, those that are saying we need to accept that we will get only 8 or so million will be among the first to moan like fuck if the board accept that kind of figure

Juan Guy.

If we could win this cup and he has a good run in with decent discipline, it will be to the good.   Any more carry on and suspensions may hinder us getting the big dosh ie the icing on the cake for him. I would love to keep him another season and add quality to play with him. Another season of development with Alfredo will see us get benefit on the park, while his value still goes up for the inevitable sale.  I think it is really a sellers market. There is some right pish around to be bought for stupid money.   This league is not big enough to bring in money signings now.  Only a selling league. 

13 hours ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Yeah it clearly is.

Not sure what missing a sitter has to do with anything.

He's only 22 and Colombia have some top strikers. The point stands that getting capped for Colombia adds value and gets you noted. To compare someone scoring against Alloa etc as some valid comparison is crazy.

4 goals and 3 assists in Europe this season. 

Yeah he still needs to do it at a higher level and against the scum, I said that was why Dembele value was at £20m in another thread.

Not disputing that playing for your country gets you noticed. However I would not term him an international player after earning only 1 cap in a friendly.

Rightly or wrongly those down south will simply view him as scoring goals in an easy league. Dembele went for what he went for probably as a result of champions league goals, goals against us but also playing regularly in the French set up as well as having developed there. 

If Morelos goes in the summer I don’t see it being over 10m.

10 minutes ago, gj923 said:

Not disputing that playing for your country gets you noticed. However I would not term him an international player after earning only 1 cap in a friendly.

Rightly or wrongly those down south will simply view him as scoring goals in an easy league. Dembele went for what he went for probably as a result of champions league goals, goals against us but also playing regularly in the French set up as well as having developed there. 

If Morelos goes in the summer I don’t see it being over 10m.

He scored in two draws, a 7-1 pumping and then qualifiers against the likes of Alaskert and Beer Sheva. Peter Lovenkrands scored as many CL goals as Dembele did. Billy Dodds is just behind Dembele in CL qualifying goals.

Scoring goals in the CL groups that dont really count for much, don't really count for much. Do you really think Lyon gave a shit that he scored the first goal in a 7-1 humiliation?

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

He scored in two draws, a 7-1 pumping and then qualifiers against the likes of Alaskert and Beer Sheva. Peter Lovenkrands scored as many CL goals as Dembele did. Billy Dodds is just behind Dembele in CL qualifying goals.

Scoring goals in the CL groups that dont really count for much, don't really count for much. Do you really think Lyon gave a shit that he scored the first goal in a 7-1 humiliation?

I actually listed 4 reasons why potentially Lyon choose to pay what they did and you have focused in on a single one. If I was to guess its because mostly its because he has been involved in the French set up for many years so would have been seen numerous times by Lyon scouts, came through the PSG set up followed lastly by his goals whilst in Scotland including in Europe.