Pleased to see Ajax dumping Real Madrid out of the Champions League

Would be great if they or Porto were to win it. Highly unlikely granted but Ajax especially would have restored a lot of peoples faith in football the other night. Make no mistake, results like theirs the other night are exactly what UEFA and their little cartel of "super", i.e. super rich clubs, do not want.

Did you not go to the 1973 game against Ajax, Thermo ?

I'd never seen anything like it. Football being played all over the pitch, every player had so much confidence in their own ability and those around themselves abilities,and were the fundamental core of the legendary Holland team that could have (should have) won at least one maybe two world cups. 

Neeskens was my hero then, and I supported Ajax for a long time after. (Don't support anyone else except us now)

However the one team I l do like a lot now are Porto, and for the exact same reasons you liked the Ajax last night. They've been so consistent in European football for well over a decade now, winning trophies, competing and beating the big guns, and got another great result last night too. 

17 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Did you not go to the 1973 game against Ajax, Thermo ?

I'd never seen anything like it. Football being played all over the pitch, every player had so much confidence in their own ability and those around themselves abilities,and were the fundamental core of the legendary Holland team that could have (should have) won at least one maybe two world cups. 

Neeskens was my hero then, and I supported Ajax for a long time after. (Don't support anyone else except us now)

However the one team I l do like a lot now are Porto, and for the exact same reasons you liked the Ajax last night. They've been so consistent in European football for well over a decade now, winning trophies, competing and beating the big guns, and got another great result last night too. 

I fell in love with Ajax and Dutch football that night as well, T.

Although I’ve had a soft spot for Real for even longer, since around 1964. Finally got to a game at the Bernabeu a couple of years ago, did the stadium tour as well. What a colossus of a football club they are, I’ve done a game and tour at Barcelona as well but Madrid are out on their own as far as I’m concerned.

8 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

I fell in love with Ajax and Dutch football that night as well, T.

Although I’ve had a soft spot for Real for even longer, since around 1964. Finally got to a game at the Bernabeu a couple of years ago, did the stadium tour as well. What a colossus of a football club they are, I’ve done a game and tour at Barcelona as well but Madrid are out on their own as far as I’m concerned.

Real Madrid were my big European team before I got to see the likes of Ajax and Valencia. My dad raved about Di Stefano and Gento and dstill had his ticket stub from the 7-3 Hampden final which he gave to me, (and sadly I lost). That classic all white strip is still the best strip in football outwith ours.

3 minutes ago, Jelavic191 said:

It was good to see Ajax win because UEFA and the big clubs are doing their best to make it a closed shop and keep many of the big clubs from smaller nations with great European histories out. 

Sums it up for me. 

Still have fond memories of so many great players playing for relatively lesser known teams now from Poland, Belgium and the like. 

Nowadays the top players just do the rounds of the top 12 richest in Europe. 

16 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Hope Barca get papped out as well, would be good to see someone completely different win it.

They are one foreign club I truly don't like. Don't get me wrong, they are great to watch but them and their fans give off the impression of being right up themselves. Plus they seem to get every decision going. Maybe they don't but it seems that way to me.

Yeah, it would be great if Ajax or Porto went on to lift the trophy...... can't see it but you never know.

So sick and tired of the super rich clubs from the big leagues getting it all their own way.... it would be a breath of fresh air for one of the smaller clubs to win it this time around.

2 hours ago, MurrayWilson said:

They are one foreign club I truly don't like. Don't get me wrong, they are great to watch but them and their fans give off the impression of being right up themselves. Plus they seem to get every decision going. Maybe they don't but it seems that way to me.

Real Madrid get many decisions for them all the time also. Real and Barca are just stupid fucking lesbian sisters

2 hours ago, TopCat said:

Yeah, it would be great if Ajax or Porto went on to lift the trophy...... can't see it but you never know.

So sick and tired of the super rich clubs from the big leagues getting it all their own way.... it would be a breath of fresh air for one of the smaller clubs to win it this time around.

I hope a different team win this year too like Porto for an example.

It was great to see it. Outwith Ajax beating the UEFA narrative they are one of those special clubs in football. From their philosiphy that revolves around total football and youth, tradition, success, Cruyff.

They've literally produced 3 or 4 generational groups of talents which for any club is outstanding and when you factor in they are from a relatively small country like Holland it is truly incredible.

Football over the last 25 years has destroyed a great club like Ajax, just like our own. The bosman ruling stole the 90s generation and the clubs from bigger leagues who are rich took away their generation from 5-10 years ago (Eriksen, Vertonghen, Aldeweireld etc.)

Tuesday night really felt like Ajax giving a big fuck you to UEFA and the modern game which is trying to drive out clubs like Ajax and us.

I see that clown Ajer claiming that sellick could do the same as Ajax as in being able to compete against the giants in the champions league with a similar budget....oh how time makes you forget....

A. They didn't even make the group stages this season 

B. They qualified for the last 32 of the Europa by default 

C. They got fucked 3-0 on aggregate from an average Valencia team

Who let this clown loose to talk to the press, and they are just as gullible for printing it.

On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 17:34, The Monk said:

I’ve always wanted to see a Rangers Ajax game, really hope it happens in the future as I do have a soft spot for them.

Ive seen a couple and as much as I admire Ajax the games weren't exactly enjoyable. I.e., they gave us an absolute doing in both of them.

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 06:49, hammer93 said:

I see that clown Ajer claiming that sellick could do the same as Ajax as in being able to compete against the giants in the champions league with a similar budget....oh how time makes you forget....

A. They didn't even make the group stages this season 

B. They qualified for the last 32 of the Europa by default 

C. They got fucked 3-0 on aggregate from an average Valencia team

Who let this clown loose to talk to the press, and they are just as gullible for printing it.

They are in no way whatsoever comparable to that Ajax team. They don't even play the same sport.

27 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

We beat them last time we played 🙂

but aye they champions league games weren't much fun 

I’m probably wrong but was that a friendly when we’d just signed Cuellar? Weird how that feels like a lifetime ago now whilst only being just over 10 years.

If I could pick the perfect European group, I’d love to see us (well unless we got battered 😂) play:

Real Madrid, Inter Milan and Ajax. For some reason I would love to see us play Anderlecht also at some point.