Comparisons With Last Season

We by rights now should be starting to challenge for honours and that's a belief based on 3 successive seasons back in the top flight. The signs are promising from this squad. We've got a great structure in place the youths are really talented it's all headed in the right place. But we as fans rightly so are impatient for success.

9 minutes ago, Rlm said:

We by rights now should be starting to challenge for honours and that's a belief based on 3 successive seasons back in the top flight. The signs are promising from this squad. We've got a great structure in place the youths are really talented it's all headed in the right place. But we as fans rightly so are impatient for success.

We might have been back 3 years but we wasted 2 fucking around. 

7 hours ago, Bronzy said:

We've actually lost the same amount of league games as celtic, it's the draws that are killing us.

Fine lines really, if we could have turned those draws into wins, we'd be top.

Again, night and day from last season.

7 hours ago, Dan Deacon said:

Just seen something on Twitter that said we've played 50 games total already this season and only lost 6.

Dunno how accurate it is but if so I think that's a great stat

We actually have lost 7 games; 4 in the League (Tims, Livingston, Aberdeen, Kilmarnock.) Aberdeen in the League Cup, and 2 in Europe (Spartak Moscow, Vienna Rapid) and if that's not an improvement then I don't know what is. When you consider we could have won or even drawn those games then it's infuriating where we could have been. The 8 draws have been the Achilles heel this season and look to be going to cost us big time.

7 minutes ago, Ozblue said:

We actually have lost 7 games; 4 in the League (Tims, Livingston, Aberdeen, Kilmarnock.) Aberdeen in the League Cup, and 2 in Europe (Spartak Moscow, Vienna Rapid) and if that's not an improvement then I don't know what is. When you consider we could have won or even drawn those games then it's infuriating where we could have been. The 8 draws have been the Achilles heel this season and look to be going to cost us big time.

Sometimes in past seasons the odd draw wouldn't be a bad thing but this campaign we've usually been ahead in them games and then lost late goals..and celtic has then won there game the day after. So them draws have been painfully costly.

3 hours ago, Getstiffed said:

Said in another thread I didn't expect much from Gerrard to begin with, I certainly didn't expect to qualify given how much of a disaster he inherited and how soon the Euro qualifiers were scheduled. As the season has went on my expectations have risen and maybe became a little unrealistic tbh. 

Put it this way, the worst part of our team for the last 3 years has been our defence, he's sorted that out for less than 5 million quid. I don't imagine he'll need an astronomical figure to sort out our inability to finish games off.

I think that is part of the problem, SG has given us hope, the makings of a team and many thought we may even win this year. Not many would have said that at the start of the season.

Still not giving up yet but we have to win our games but I would not look to be changing manager I know that.

10 minutes ago, Rlm said:

Sometimes in past seasons the odd draw wouldn't be a bad thing but this campaign we've usually been ahead in them games and then lost late goals..and celtic has then won there game the day after. So them draws have been painfully costly.

Couldn't agree more, mate! in the end product we have caused our own downfall.

4 hours ago, BlueMe said:

If the game was based purely on finances, then we would never win the league. celtic have an income that's three times ours and double the wage budget, they spent £9m on one player, our starting line-up against Hibs cost less than half the amount of that player.

If it was based on finances, then we're exactly where we should be in the league and we shouldn't have even been near the groups of the Europa league if it was about money spent. Villarreal spent £80m adding to their already settled team, and never beat us home or away. 

Theres a bigger difference between a 1k a week player and a 10k a week player than a 10k player and a 20k a week player

Only beating a team like killie twice in 5 games if fucking ridiculous, killie pay guys under a grand a week, theres a reason for that 

2 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

How can there be cunts that honestly think the title race is on again after they dropped a couple of points straight after we dropped points 

Fans are daft sometimes. The scum are a game nearer that they were before this weekend.

3 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Theres a bigger difference between a 1k a week player and a 10k a week player than a 10k player and a 20k a week player

Only beating a team like killie twice in 5 games if fucking ridiculous, killie pay guys under a grand a week, theres a reason for that 

Using celtic as an example again, they've dropped points against St Mirren, Motherwell, Kilmarnock. Teams who aren't anywhere near them financially. 

Far better teams than us have dropped points against pish teams, it happens. 

Performances on the whole have improved whilst the results at times haven't, take the last game of the season we were 3-0 down in 20 odd minutes and staring down the barrel at another humiliation....we walked away with 1pt the same point we got on Friday when for 65 mins we were excellent , granted we needed a 2nd goal to kill the game but those 2 games alone tell me that we are definitely In a better place than we previously were.

37 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

Using celtic as an example again, they've dropped points against St Mirren, Motherwell, Kilmarnock. Teams who aren't anywhere near them financially. 

Far better teams than us have dropped points against pish teams, it happens. 

celtic have dropped 8 points less in the league than us, and won more cup games, all teams will drop silly points but our record against the potential top 6 gives me the fear for the split, unlike their results against them

Not losing any game by more than a goal including Europe is impressive and a bigger improvement than last year. Too many draws especially when leading is what needs addressed. In hindsight, the Euro run may have cost us. Too many games for an inexperienced squad but we will be better next year because of it.

21 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

celtic have dropped 8 points less in the league than us, and won more cup games, all teams will drop silly points but our record against the potential top 6 gives me the fear for the split, unlike their results against them

Our record isn't great, but there's more to it than just finances. 

We've been shite in some games, definitely, but we've also been very unlucky in others- Motherwell, Hibs, Kilmarnock, Aberdeen, Dundee were all games we deserved 3 points imo, but we just couldn't kill them, plus, the officials have fucked us more than once this season already. 

When nothing so far is being won trophy-wise this season or last season or (in terms of major trophies) since season 2010/11 then its useful in many ways to take stock of whether improvement (results / performances / league position / run in Europe / money generated) is being achieved.     It'd it maybe be a bit hard to say that no progress or very little progress is being made.  I think we have made progress, and good progress at that.  

At one level we could stop there and take a bit of comfort that progress is being made.   And more comfort that we expect more progress next season as SG gets more into his managerial stride and (hopefully) with some additional good quality players to be added in summer who improve the squad.    And then this time next season take stock again to see if more progress has been made.  And so on until one season that progressive march leads to a league title or winning a cup final.

I suppose the Chairman, the Board, the DOF and the Manager (and the coaching staff), all have various measures they use to determine what progress has been made.   It'd be interesting to hear their views on that.    For me though the comparison is outcome not the journey ie trophies won.   We haven't won a major trophy since season 2010/11. Surely next season the comparison benchmark must be to win at least one of the 3 major competitions.  As interesting as measuring progress is it'd be good to be saying that the progress has resulted in a trophy or trophies actually won, and not the 'what might have been' games or circumstances.     There comes a point where the progress journey needs to reach tangible outcome in the form of trophies won.   Soon. 

5 hours ago, ricksen_da_best said:

Played 50

Won 26 - Drawn 18 - Lost 6

In all competitions, including Europe, is not a bad turnover for a complete new team nearly, new manager. Its all a learning curve. Gerrard knows the expectation of the fans, he knows he wont be so lucky next season to be given time. He is definitely the first manager since Smith where we do actually have a chance of doing it. We need to start killing teams off.

Have we lost by more than a goal this season yet? We've been involved in every game really fine margins

Last season we dropped points through being utter dross.

This season we are dropping points through lack of cutting edge and, at times, a bit of bad luck.

I'm not saying we have not been dross at times, we have - but you cannot play well every week, and at least when we play badly now we still look hard(ish) to beat. Our last good period - 2008-2011, Walter Smith was often criticised for delivering dross. 

However, my assessment, made with my eyes is we are far better than last year, and with a little bit more quality in the final third would be a fair few points better off.

We are still not very good at finding ways to win games, when it clicks - we look great - but we can look out of ideas and laboured in the last third when it isn't going well. Partly a lack of quality, partly a lack of psyche, partly a lack of nous