Formula One 2019

On 11/03/2019 at 08:52, Badger said:

A lot better.

F1 has a problem. The last few seasons only 6 cars have a chance of finishing on the podium. I think in the last 4yrs it us something like 96% of races have had a final podium of Ferrari/Merc/Red Bull.

I also think we are now over 100 races since a race win from outside those 3 teams, with Merc winning something like 70% of the races since 2014.

I love motorsport. I've watched F1 since 1991, I loved the BTCC in the 90s (IMO the best racing series/era), and I compete in low level motorsport too. 

F1 is not in a good way. It's became stale and predictable. Cost cutting measures have ironically made the sport far more expensive to take part in, and revenue distribution is so skewed its absolutely uncompetitive.

Formula E is shit as well. Glorified bumper cars, racing on shit circuits that are all the same (straight > 90° bend > narrow bit > straight > etc) with far too many gimmicks. It's fun and I enjoyed it for a bit but.....the novelty wears off. Every race is virtually the same.

Do you still do rallys mate?

Wouldn’t surprise me to see LM looking to sell quicker than reported in the press. 

The ideas they are having to try and improve the sport are not exactly being well received by the big 3 and eventually I can see them giving up trying to “improve” 

Love it or hate it, a cost cap would in theory make it more competitive and try and level the playing field slightly. The days of someone winning a race from “best of the rest” seems miles away yet. 

1 hour ago, fog said:

Wouldn’t surprise me to see LM looking to sell quicker than reported in the press. 

The ideas they are having to try and improve the sport are not exactly being well received by the big 3 and eventually I can see them giving up trying to “improve” 

Love it or hate it, a cost cap would in theory make it more competitive and try and level the playing field slightly. The days of someone winning a race from “best of the rest” seems miles away yet. 

modernity...…. most of the upset was down to reliability apart from that the "greats" always end up in the fastest car.....

need to get these manufacturers to feck though and back to v10 engines and fuck the environment

2 hours ago, fog said:

Whilst I am probably against a cost cap, the problem now is, to come into the sport of F1 - and stand a chance of winning - it will require (at least) £1b of investment (over 5yrs) and probably more - that does not guarantee success. That is simply far, far too expensive. The sport needs to be 2-3x cheaper, and the great irony is that it was cost cutting measures that arguably got us here. The R&D costs of engine development to current F1 specs alone is staggering. Not to mention aero, etc.

Companies like Porsche, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Jaguar - companies that should be in F1 - it would need between 10% and 100% of these companies profit to fund a successful F1 team - try sell that to shareholders!!

The big teams have locked out the grid like never before. It is near impossible for anyone else to get a podium on merit unless there are retirements or problems for the big 3 teams. Mercedes are dominant like no team ever before - their 5yr stats are incredible - 77% of all wins since 2014, and 95% of races with at least 1 podium.

F1 is in an awful state, the 2010's have easily been the worst ever era, and LM are needing turkeys to vote for xmas to change it atm.

23 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Do you still do rallys mate?

Never really did competitive rallys, only ultra long distance charity ones.

I'm doing SLS this year.

https://www.knockhill.com/events/sls-scs-19

Not sure how I will get on. My car is at the lower end of my class in terms of power to weight, so.... it will be tough ask to do well. Especially going up against better, more experienced drivers, who will be driving in slightly faster cars.

I am fully expecting to be near the bottom, and I'd view anything better than middle of the pack as a success.

First event is on Sunday, so we will see how it goes.

I'm buzzing for it.

If anyone cares I'm keeping a wee blog on my progress.

http://www.alexfulton.co.uk

4 hours ago, Badger said:

I'm doing SLS this year.

Not sure how I will get on. My car is at the lower end of my class in terms of power to weight, so.... it will be tough ask to do well. Especially going up against better, more experienced drivers, who will be driving in slightly faster cars.

I am fully expecting to be near the bottom, and I'd view anything better than middle of the pack as a success.

I'm buzzing for it.

Good wee read badger, will keep tabs on how ye get on. 

Good luck 

5 hours ago, Badger said:

I'm doing SLS this year.

I'm buzzing for it.

I waste all my money on “hot hatches” and never do anything with them really. 

I would have been better keeping one but buying an older hot hatch to use on track days etc, I don’t know how I’d react if I smashed up a brand new car 😂

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Creampuff said:

Hamilton was brilliant today. His tyres at the end were absolute trash :lol: 

Just did the same as Ricciardo when he won with tyres down to the canvas. The cars are even wider now so if you place it correctly then you can’t be overtaken. He still had grip on his rears to power clear on the short straights.

Did some amount of whinging though!

4 minutes ago, The Ghost said:

Just did the same as Ricciardo when he won with tyres down to the canvas. The cars are even wider now so if you place it correctly then you can’t be overtaken. He still had grip on his rears to power clear on the short straights.

Did some amount of whinging though!

He always does when his tyres are worn :lol: 

On 26/05/2019 at 22:10, dummiesoot said:

Boring as fuck as usual. Monaco is a pish race, yes excuting seeing the skills but fuck all chance to overtake. 

They really need to find a way to lengthen a straight. Even one decent spot for the overtake. 

As much as Hamilton and Ricciardo deserve praise for their drives over the last two races there, it simply shouldn’t be possible.

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, dummiesoot said:

Best race in ages and the stewards fuck it and punish in favour of the prick Hamilton 

11 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Pathetic mate. Hamilton would never have got a pen for that and got away with far worse before.

Fucking behave. Even on the PlayStation if you go over that piece of grass in Canada you get penalised. 

If Vettel had used it in qualifying the time would have been null and void.

I'm no fan of Hamilton but Vettel deserved a penalty. His antics after the race were childish in the extreme.

Mind you he did ask the crowd to stop booing.

5 minutes ago, TEFTONG said:

Fucking behave. Even on the PlayStation if you go over that piece of grass in Canada you get penalised. 

If Vettel had used it in qualifying the time would have been null and void.

I'm no fan of Hamilton but Vettel deserved a penalty. His antics after the race were childish in the extreme.

Mind you he did ask the crowd to stop booing.

He had no control of the car, different if he does it deliberately but no chance is that a penalty, racing incident nothing more

Don't go on the grass then you can keep control of your car.

I am no expert on F1 racing rules. I just seem to have a different view that by coincidence is the same as the experts paid to make the decisions.

Funny that. 

Plus vettel is a wee fud and Ferrari are taigs. 

A controversial call, but he should know you can't rejoin the track and immediately block someone from passing you for position. It's classed as rejoining the track in a dangerous manner and regardless of the circumstances, it's a fair penalty. 

Dirty tactics from vettel yet again, which can be dressed as innocence. He has history of such incidents and clearly he's no learning from them. 

Also, it should be, and probably was taken into account that he actually increased the gap to Hamilton in the aftermath by doing so. 

He can moan and be petulant all he wants, he's just pissed off cos he got caught out. He bottled it under pressure from Hamilton, then rejoins and crosses the whole track to prevent Hamilton a certain pass, nearly putting him in the wall all while extending his lead in the process. 

The stewards had only one choice and a 5 second penalty was the correct decision 👍

27 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

He has to get a penalty there. 

The real story, which is suspect is why Vettel had his little meltdown, is that once again he’s blown it when there has been an opportunity. 

The guy has absolutely no bottle.

He’s lucky Hamilton didn’t hit him. Both of them could’ve been out of the race if there was a collision. Penalty justified imo. 

Agree it was correct for the penalty. Hamilton is going past him and Vettel doesn’t just come back onto the track he cuts across Lewis nearly forcing him into the barrier. 

Once again Vettel bottles it under pressure and knowing he’s got no one to blame but himself pulls a dangerous petulant move and correctly gets a penalty from the stewards.

4 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Funny how the stewards have no choice but to give Vettel a penalty yet Hamilton did the same to Riccardo in Monaco 2016 and there was no penalty.

Bet posters saying this was a penalty had a different view on that incident...

I see you have ignored my question but are back on typing your hyperbole

we can all have a proper chat about the rules and whether, or not, the course of action was correct

or we can bitch about things because we don't like a certain driver

happy to do the former, happy to point out the latter

1 hour ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Funny how the stewards have no choice but to give Vettel a penalty yet Hamilton did the same to Riccardo in Monaco 2016 and there was no penalty.

Bet posters saying this was a penalty had a different view on that incident...

The Hamilton-Ricciardo incident in Monaco is not even almost the same thing.