Have we made progress?

G.E.C.

Beginning of the season I said a good season would consist of, beating the tarriers, strong second place and a league or Scottish cup. The cup being the priority I would say, we desperately need silverware and we have failed miserably in that department.

we have made progress, we are playing better football, at home especially having only lost twice. Our away performances still need looked at though.

Using this season as a benchmark next season we should be aiming to drop much less silly points, with needless draws and last minute goals being at the route of the points dropped. And in cup competitions we need to be up for it, play with intesity and not gives teams a chance to play against us, silly mistakes cost us last night again.

Horrible feeling waking up this morning and the next game that actually means anything in terms of the club going forward isn’t until July/August.

11 minutes ago, trueblueal said:

The market we need to be in is 3-4 million players and maybe 4 of them. I'd sell Morelos for big money if its on offer and buy a centre back, 2 forwards and a centre mid for cash. And they all have to be captain material or an exceptional individual. That's how we will win this league, with better players. 

Goldson was 3M so there is no guarantee that spending that amount will reap dividends.

2 minutes ago, gj923 said:

Goldson was 3M so there is no guarantee that spending that amount will reap dividends.

Goldson is passable and I agree that nothing is guaranteed, however, sign 4 players at 3-4 million or sign 4 players at 1-2 million and you must agree that the more you pay the better chance you have. We need quality. No more Jones type signings. Let's build some quality in. 

9 minutes ago, gj923 said:

sure i read somewhere that this figure is about double what we actually paid for him

Might have been @eskbankloyal that said it, but don't hold me to that :lol:

11 minutes ago, gogzy said:

sure i read somewhere that this figure is about double what we actually paid for him

Might have been @eskbankloyal that said it, but don't hold me to that :lol:

Not me. 

It was in the ballpark of £3m. The reported fees for the Croatians seemed to be inflated - Gerrard said as much in an interview near the start of the season

Just now, eskbankloyal said:

Not me. 

It was in the ballpark of £3m. The reported fees for the Croatians seemed to be inflated - Gerrard said as much in an interview near the start of the season

Ahh maybe that's what it was :lol: I need to pay more attention.

No we have only spent more on a manger who is clearly struggling.  

Warbs got a fraction and I mean a fraction of what Gerrard has had and he could not get the quality of players he wanted and he continually had to sign frees and players for £200k leading to a fallout with the board and King  

Their where better options than Gerrard but King wanted him and now the tims are going for a treble - treble and more than likely 9 in a row next year.  

No disrespect to Gerrard as the first goal was a howler and fuck all to do with him , but we played the same shite for 88mins after that and that is his fault. 

25 minutes ago, trueblueal said:

Goldson is passable and I agree that nothing is guaranteed, however, sign 4 players at 3-4 million or sign 4 players at 1-2 million and you must agree that the more you pay the better chance you have. We need quality. No more Jones type signings. Let's build some quality in. 

Between 1-4 million it really depends on where they come from as Goldson despite having mostly championship and lower level experience was 3 whilst the likes of Katic/Morelos was 1 m due to the leagues they came from.

My one worry which has obviously been hampered by changing managers is can we make players better? I hate to use them as an example but across the city they have managed to develop quite a few players the last few years.

Of our players Morelos has certainly developed however I think thats more to do with him gaining experience of the league. Of the rest of the players in the squad I would struggle to think of any that you would say have really come on as players. Halliday is one that is better than previous seasons but it seems more due to his pride in the jersey. We do need some quality but we also need to develop the players that we have in the likes of katic, Grezda, Middleton, McCrorie.

If we had not had the run in Europe then I would be thinking where is the progress and to be honest as much as I enjoyed these home games, it is not my priority at the moment. The only thing that might help is the money we took in and hopefully some of it will be spent on better players who know how to win games.

We have far too many players in our squad who have won nothing and it is showing in games we need to win, that mix in the squad has to change we have to buy some players who know the feeling of winning IMO, but not ones like Davis, Lafferty and Defoe who are well past their sell by date.  

One thing we have been poor again at is buying and loaning in players and if MA thinks ones like Jones is going to turn around our situation next season I am concerned to say the least.

That game last night was a repeat of so many we have watched over the season, when I read the team last night I thought it was the best SG could pick, but once again they failed to turn up, the last chance for silverware and a home game but the performance was nowhere near good enough. Our play is so slow at times and just repeat the same move time over time over time without any breakthrough, it was hellish to sit and watch.

Another season ended in March is not something I am dealing with very well today. 

43 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

There were better options than Gerrard but King wanted him and now the tims are going for a treble - treble and more than likely 9 in a row next year.

Who?

7 minutes ago, OhW said:

Who?

Take your pick,  When Gerrard was first introduced we were all like what the fuck ? But we have backed him as you would any Rangers manger , but every big game  apart from the last tarrier game he has failed.  

Yes we did well in Europe and we should have qualified in Russia witha game to spare,  our home form we are either world beater or can't string 2 passes together, we are inconsistent as hell and that is what has cost us time and again this season. 

I think part of the challenge we face now is about getting players that have the mentality to play for Rangers. 

We do not have the budget to sign proven winners so we are signing players we believe are technically good and hoping they have the character. 

So many of them I think can play, when the going is good you see that however the weight of going behind at Ibrox (for example) crushes them. 

How many times have we won from a losing position this year ?

In some ways yes and in others no.

In Europe of course we made huge progress but we've also got a better quality of squad and we got the monkey of beating the scum off our backs.

But purely on domestic success we've regressed. I don't know the stats but we can't be far off what our points total was for this point last season. We've also performed worse in the cups. 

We will have to take bigger strides next season than I thought we would've had to after 29th December.

8 minutes ago, markem said:

I think part of the challenge we face now is about getting players that have the mentality to play for Rangers. 

We do not have the budget to sign proven winners so we are signing players we believe are technically good and hoping they have the character. 

So many of them I think can play, when the going is good you see that however the weight of going behind at Ibrox (for example) crushes them. 

How many times have we won from a losing position this year ?

This is supposedly what mark Allen is doing. We were told players were being screened to ensure they had the right mentality to handle the requirements expected of a Rangers players.

But that clearly hasn't been the case when many in our squad lose all composure when something doesn't go to plan. 

Our recruitment needs a serious review

We looked like we were making progress but as per run of the mill players they revert to type.  Good players do it week in and out. Aside from Morelos we have no one to look towards as a match winner and there’s even a few times where Morelos looks disinterested.

not enough winners not enough players wanting to make things happen.  We look good against teams that make mistakes however when there’s none being made we don’t have the class to win games.  Partly gerrards fault due to his signings but also spending 9 million on a full squad will always leave us well behind celtic and just infront of the rest over a season with tightly contested games between us and the chasing pack leaving celtic to stroll to title after title.

19 minutes ago, Junior Soprano said:

We have won 4 games in 15. That’s ridiculous. I’m sure that’s worse than Pedro.

What stat is that? I'm sure we've won double that in the last 15?

Regardless of all comps or just the league the stat is 8 wins in 15 is it not?

8 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

This is supposedly what mark Allen is doing. We were told players were being screened to ensure they had the right mentality to handle the requirements expected of a Rangers players.

But that clearly hasn't been the case when many in our squad lose all composure when something doesn't go to plan. 

Our recruitment needs a serious review

To be honest buddy whilst I am sure they have a process I’m just not sure how they can test whether they have it in their locker  to play for us unless they’ve proven themselves in similar situations, even then playing for us imo is a unique challenge...an absolute honour and should be the best time of their career but they’ll be tested in ways they’ve not before. 

Either way that team for me has to many that cannot cope when the going gets tough. You need at least a few that will take responsibility, a few others will look towards. We have a captain (who plays right in front of me) that sulks like a child when we are losing. They become individuals when the pressure is on. 

3 minutes ago, Supersonic said:

What stat is that? I'm sure we've won double that in the last 15?

Regardless of all comps or just the league the stat is 8 wins in 15 is it not?

It is 8 out of 15. Considering Cowdenbeath, stmirren hamilton and Dundee are part of the wins, that’s still brutal as fuck

Just now, Junior Soprano said:

It is 8 out of 15. Considering Cowdenbeath, stmirren hamilton and Dundee are part of the wins, that’s still brutal as fuck

I know. Think there's something like 17 draws across all comps this season. And too many of those draws are against utter fucking shite.