Have we made progress?

G.E.C.

18 hours ago, G.E.C. said:

It’s March 12 and the season is already over. 

We done well qualifying for the Europa League but we failed to get out from a group that has a team battling relegation as well all 3 sacking their manager.

We’ve been knocked out two cups by the sheep and bar one result against the taigs which will make fuck all difference our domestic record in the “bigger” games is shocking.

We’ll finish likely finish ahead against the sheep which is a place higher than the last two seasons but overall for me this season is no better than the last seven.

Yes we have made progress.

If you're talking about Villareal - you could quite easily flip that and say we got beat by a team with a budget three/four times as much as our own. I think you're down playing the success Europe was this season, both on and off the pitch. No one expected us to do as well as we did. 

Agreed domestically bar Sheep away, Hearts away and the mhanks our performance in the big games has been pretty fucking awful. We've also had some horrendous refereeing decisions, which I'm not excusing - but it does impact. 

I hope we do finish above the sheep and if we do (even if we don't) how you can this season is no better than the last seven is a ridiculous overreaction. 

5 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

Yes we have made progress.

If you're talking about Villareal - you could quite easily flip that and say we got beat by a team with a budget three/four times as much as our own. I think you're down playing the success Europe was this season, both on and off the pitch. No one expected us to do as well as we did. 

Agreed domestically bar Sheep away, Hearts away and the mhanks our performance in the big games has been pretty fucking awful. We've also had some horrendous refereeing decisions, which I'm not excusing - but it does impact. 

I hope we do finish above the sheep and if we do (even if we don't) how you can this season is no better than the last seven is a ridiculous overreaction. 

I really don't think it is mate, no finals and another 3rd place finish would be an absolute disaster of Pedro/Murty/Warburton proportions

17 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

I really don't think it is mate, no finals and another 3rd place finish would be an absolute disaster of Pedro/Murty/Warburton proportions

He said the last seven - which is the ridiculous overreaction considering one of those was not being promoted out the championship and also involved the worst footballing time in our entire history. 

If we finish 3rd then I agree it would be a disaster - but we've made more progress than those three did in the top flight and we've been in Europe. 

3 hours ago, OhW said:

All I’ve been doing every time is asking you for some examples, don’t know why you find it so confusing. So far all you’ve said is Redknapp. Don’t know why you mentioned McInnes, I never brought him up at all. 

I mentioned McInnes as it was the board went first went for and failed, ( Thank fuck as we dodged a bullet there ) and yet he has turned us over 3 times , And there is nothing confusing I just can't Be fucked getting into all the names we were linked with at the time then Gerrard came out of nowhere and became manager.   

So if you want to find out the name they were being mentioned I suggest you go look at old threads 

40 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

He said the last seven - which is the ridiculous overreaction considering one of those was not being promoted out the championship and also involved the worst footballing time in our entire history. 

If we finish 3rd then I agree it would be a disaster - but we've made more progress than those three did in the top flight and we've been in Europe. 

I was skim reading and never noticed the 7 year bit 😂

Aye that's stretching it

I believe that we’ve made some progress, but not as much as I was hoping for. I think the football we play is better but we are nowhere near clinical enough. We also have too many players who don’t have a winning mentality and that is a huge problem when you’re trying to challenge a team that have won 7 trophies in a row. Progress can only really be measured in trophies when you’re Rangers, and if we go another year without winning then we’re fucked. 

We just dont have the proper players for 433 to be effective. Our central 3 are all quite tidy but basic. Very much like liverpool but to a lesser standard. So instead of wingers they have inside forwards. Salah and mane are always cutting in. Man city do have proper wingers in sane and sterling but their middle players are all amazing ball players. Psg with mbappe and nemayr are prob closer to the liverpool variant of 433 but with a better quality of middle 3.

If were going to stick with wingers as part of the front 3 then we need real quality in the middle. Id prefer some inside forwards.

Until we replace the whole back four we wont progress in reality. Worral is pish, goldson is a waste of time and if he keeps going at the same rate  tav will be going backwards by the time next season starts. We need to get rid of this ball playing centre back shite tbh. We first and foremost need defenders who can actually defend, not piss about and get caught out of position constantly. This season we have been our own worst enemy for giving away possesion. 

14 minutes ago, Rusty117 said:

We just dont have the proper players for 433 to be effective. Our central 3 are all quite tidy but basic. Very much like liverpool but to a lesser standard. So instead of wingers they have inside forwards. Salah and mane are always cutting in. Man city do have proper wingers in sane and sterling but their middle players are all amazing ball players. Psg with mbappe and nemayr are prob closer to the liverpool variant of 433 but with a better quality of middle 3.

If were going to stick with wingers as part of the front 3 then we need real quality in the middle. Id prefer some inside forwards.

It's a combination we need for me. 

We need inside fowards that cut in and provide additional goal threats.

We also need a playmaker in the middle that can relsease them and drive the team forward 

3 minutes ago, Gascoigne8 said:

We need to get rid of this ball playing centre back shite tbh.

How do we play free flowing football from back to front without ball playing cb's?  did I miss a massive bunch of sarcasm?

Yes, I think there has been a reasonable improvement in our play if not our results. Tbf we did well in Europe compared to last season it has to be said and we beat the mhanky mob too - which seemed almost an impossibility last season.

I feel we are 3 quality signings short of a right good team. Hopefully SG will address this in the summer.

Ofcourse we have made progress , you only have to look at games against them.

During the last 3 seasons we have stood one chance against them and that's been no chance........this season is a different ball game and we can go into games confident we can win

51 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Yes, I think there has been a reasonable improvement in our play if not our results. Tbf we did well in Europe compared to last season it has to be said and we beat the mhanky mob too - which seemed almost an impossibility last season.

I feel we are 3 quality signings short of a right good team. Hopefully SG will address this in the summer.

Sums it up perfectly.  Last year we hung on to draws, this season we mostly have been in control of games, lost vital points in the last minutes of games and at times struggled to put teams away.  In terms of performance, I think the progress is clear.

I no longer get the fear watching games.  I get frustrated that we fail to put teams to the sword.

That Aberdeen game was very very frustrating,  2-0 flattered them but we were pish and toothless in the final third.