Wouldn't suprise me if Gerrard doesn't see out the season

KingKirk

3 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

I don’t see any circumstances that Gerrard and his backroom staff are sacked to be honest nor should they be at this stage. 

Agreed. We have to back somebody for the medium term at some point and I think it should be Gerrard. He has things to learn and we have to improve in terms of our recruitment but if we can do that I think we will be a better side next season. I’m watching the Norwich game at the moment and they are a great example of how sometimes a manager can need a season or so under their belt before improvements become habit rather than something that is only seen in fits and spurts.

5 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Agreed. We have to back somebody for the medium term at some point and I think it should be Gerrard. He has things to learn and we have to improve in terms of our recruitment but if we can do that I think we will be a better side next season. I’m watching the Norwich game at the moment and they are a great example of how sometimes a manager can need a season or so under their belt before improvements become habit rather than something that is only seen in fits and spurts.

If we don’t win anything next season he will be gone and rightly so imo 

4 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

I also agree with that. The disappointment this  season can be played off and put down to things like reestablishing standards, laying better foundations in the team, making us harder to beat, still having a lot of inherited players and still lacking in quality but if our consistency doesn’t improve next season then those reasons won’t wash and he will have to go.

20 minutes ago, TMB said:

I seen a post on Facebook that said Gerrard had a lower win percentage than Warburton, Pedro, or Murty.  Does anyone know if that’s correct?

Murty’s second spell was just over 60%.

Warburtons was only decent due to playing in the Championship.

Gerrard is probably just above 50% similar to Pedro and PLG.

1 hour ago, DBBTB said:

Managers can overcome bad results and disappointing seasons,  which is what we’ve had this season. What managers can’t overcome is losing the dressing room and people seem to forget that that’s exactly what happened to Caixinha and Murty. When that happens there is no going back and there’s no sign of that happening to Gerrard yet.

Like I said in another thread, we are dangerously close to developing a reputation as a club who pull the trigger on managers within months so what manager worth their salt is going to come here knowing that have 9 months to overthrow celtic with a fraction of their budget? There’s a reason we’ve ended up with a string of managers who had no place having the job to begin with and it’s not solely because of the boards incompetence.

Players aren’t trying for him and don’t seem to be arsed, is that not the definition of losing the dressing room?

30 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Not as black and white as that surely?

i.e. group stages again of the Europa League or better, taking the league down to the last day of the season, and one or two finals in the cups is > out of Europe early, league done with 4 or 5 games left, out of the Scottish cup in the quarters but wins the league cup, no?

1 hour ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

We should be top of the league but we aren't because we've had far too many draws where we've failed to kill teams off or lost out to last minute equalisers, you erase that problem with quality in key positions of a team, something which simply cannot be expected to happen after two windows. 

Nail on the head.

2 hours ago, Amato said:

I'm sure he's said a couple of times in interviews that he's really happy with the backing his management team have had and that the board have delivered almost every signing they've asked for

He would though publicly, wouldn't he? 

But it is the one worry I have for him because Lafferty, Davis and Defoe to name three were groundhog day signings that we've never learned from.

43 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

What would you define as medium term (ie as per the text I've made bold in your post)?   And would that include backing SG even if he does not lead us to winning a trophy next season?  

We have the 150th anniversary on the near horizon in 2022  so surely we have already arrived at a time when SG needs to be backed right through to that anniversary season (if his contract lasts until then) in the hope that trophies can be won, especially in that season.   Even if he is out of contract before then surely he needs to be backed for as long as it takes before 2022 to develop a trophy winning side so that we do not go into that season not having won a trophy since 2010/11.   If SG is removed how would the Club ever realistically hope to attract a quality manager who could inspire trophy success before and in 2022?

3 minutes ago, GA1972 said:

Players aren’t trying for him and don’t seem to be arsed, is that not the definition of losing the dressing room?

That’s your impression, but I don’t think he’s lost the dressing room yet. We were awful last night, but I don’t think the players aren’t trying.

The type of shit and stories that was being leaked to and reported by the Daily Record & The Sun on a near daily basis under Caixinha and Murty are better examples of managers who either lost, or never had the respect of the dressing room. We are nowhere close to that position yet.

7 minutes ago, GA1972 said:

He might be less of a clown

But the results aren’t all that different 

We beat them, Pedro, Murty and Warburton didn't. 

We got into Europe, again they all didn't. 

Have we been battered 4-0 at Tynecastle, 5-1 home and away against the tarriers yet? 

25 minutes ago, MasterD said:

Murty’s second spell was just over 60%.

Warburtons was only decent due to playing in the Championship.

Gerrard is probably just above 50% similar to Pedro and PLG.

Gerrard had a European campaign that brings down his ratio. Pedro was in a bush against progres

31 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Not as black and white as that surely?

i.e. group stages again of the Europa League or better, taking the league down to the last day of the season, and one or two finals in the cups is > out of Europe early, league done with 4 or 5 games left, out of the Scottish cup in the quarters but wins the league cup, no?

Yes as black and white as that.

if we spend the same as we did the n the summer that’s around 10 plus million pounds on wages and transfers and can’t even win a domestic cup against utter garbage on shoe string budgets? 

That would be embarrassing yet again. We win nothing then he walks just like any other manager who’s failed 2 seasons on the bounce at Rangers 

Just now, The Godfather said:

Yes as black and white as that.

if we spend the same as we did the n the summer that’s around 10 plus million pound and can’t even win a domestic up against utter garbage on shoe string budgets? 

That would be embarrassing yet again. We win nothing then he walks just like any other manager who’s failed 2 seasons on the bounce at Rangers 

Well the idea of winning the league or scottish cup but finishing 20 points behind the scum and maybe not beating them all season in league or cup being considered a better season than going into the final league game of the season with a chance of winning the league and maybe beating the scum more times than they've beaten us is bizarre to me.

16 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

He will be in those circumstances, but he won't be alone and we will go into such a belt tightening exercise making the top six will be a bonus. 

Seems to me at present this is less likely if there is a failure to win a trophy next season, but if that trophy-less state continued into the 150th anniversary season then that sort of belt tightening would seem to me to be inevitable after then.  

But...…..if it looked like we'd be heading towards or into the 150th year in a patently weak state not having won a trophy since 2010/11 and not sufficiently close in challenging for the league title then it would surprise me if King and most / all of his Board backed out before then.  The shame and embarrassment would be too much and they'd have proved to themselves and to us their best efforts were not enough.  After then, after belt tightening bites meaningfully, the Club would have completed a transition into near perpetual state of being also rans.   That's not an outcome I'd want to see.  To avoid it will take enough transfer money for the manager to use wisely and a Board that finds a way to roll up its sleeves and redouble the efforts to bring far more investment money into the Club.   

Imagine the pressure on whoever is Manager and whoever are in the first team squad at the time of the 150th anniversary season if no trophies had been won since 2010/11.   Not many credible takers for the manager job at that time, and probably not many players ready, able and willing to deal with the pressure in that season.