Allen

KingKirk

10 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

You're thought process baffles me

Do you think Gerrard wanted Jones for next season? I think he's a player the club have wanted for a while so now hes signed.

For sure there are signings that are being made as part of a wider strategy

3 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

Do you think Gerrard wanted Jones for next season? I think he's a player the club have wanted for a while so now hes signed.

What is that strategy?

3 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

Those things aren't mutually exclusive.

Gerrard says 'I want to sign a winger' and the recruitment team/Allen return with a number of possibilities - one of whom will have been Jones.

The Club has gone for a DoF approach and appointed Allen.   A revamp of the scouting system has (I think) also taken place which has bolstered scouting capacity (if not capability).    The tiers of organisational structure below the first team squad also seem to me to have undergone changes, new recruits, investment and so on over the last couple of years.   

Some might say all well and good and travelling in the direction a modern ambitious football club needs to pursue these days.    Some might argue otherwise.

It will be interesting (best word I could find for now) to see how long all of this fancy modern way of working lasts before the axe starts to fall.     The issue being how long will a Board be prepared to plough money into those bits of the Rangers football machine and infrastructure if the Club is not winning any trophies and generating enough wealth as a result of the first team being successful on the pitch?   

Its arguably a very big overhead to be carrying if there is no (or insufficient) end product in the form of a successful first team which in turn generates wealth because of its success.  Right now a lot of investment seems to have gone into the more 'back office' types of functions at Ibrox but is it yielding (or about to yield) enough of a dividend in terms of trophy-success and income generation from success?      The short answer is - no trophies, no success and maybe some money to be generated in summer if we can sell Morelos for a decent fee.    

Are the costs of Allen and the infrastructure / personnel that support the behind the scenes activities at Ibrox justified by on-pitch success?    It seems to me its only a matter of time before a Board has to balance the cost against thus far invisible value generated by football success.    

If lack of success continues then it surely becomes inevitable that the financial cloth has to be cut to fit the circumstances of becoming a perpetual also-ran football club whose realistic aspirations of winning a trophy are not much better than those of provincial clubs.   

That's the charge the Board will have to face sooner or later if lack of football success goes on for too many more seasons.     Maybe they are prepared to continue with the bet up to and including 150th anniversary and if no trophies (esp the league) won by the end of that season then the game is up on trying to restore to being a big successful club...…. because the evidence otherwise will be before them in the lack of trophies won since season 2010/11.    

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Those things aren't mutually exclusive.

Gerrard says 'I want to sign a winger' and the recruitment team/Allen return with a number of possibilities - one of whom will have been Jones.

No buying that mate we've wanted Jones for over a year. That signing is club lead manager is irrelevant

1 hour ago, KingKirk said:

He knew nothing about them. Are u seriously telling me he sat and watched those players

47 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

Yes through scouting him for our games.

So he did watch him and did know about him?

I don't think its as clear as blaming MA for our results as its more complicated.

I agree with someone who said SG never identified the croatian guys as lets face it until last year he was managing u18s so would not have known the majority of leagues.

Whilst I don't agree with the likes of Jones clearly MA has been tasked by the board with getting local talent cheaply which has the potential to increase in value. This will be the same with the likes of croatia etc

The signings of the likes of Sadiq are clearly because its been needed and you can only identify and scout so many players in advance.

SG seems to have plumped for the likes of Defoe and Davis which is reminiscent of the gardener so I hope its not a feature of us moving forward.

Barisic just missed out on Croatia’s World Cup squad a squad that got to the final and has since won caps, Katic was knocking on that door as well post WC before we signed him, Grezda is apparently rated as Albania’s best player, I’m sure many of us thought that these were brilliant signings at the time for what they cost but for whatever reasons they haven’t worked out, out of all the signings I didn’t understand Lafferty, Davis or Sadiq, Lafferty and Davis we knew we’re done added to the fact that they should never have gotten another chance anyway. Ejaria , Worrall and Kent were  risks, the others I was okay with, I just hope lessons have been learned for the future.

1 hour ago, magic8ball said:

numerous angry threads since last night. 

get rid of this one get rid of that one 

haven't saw any suggestions of people that would improve us 

This is why I try and steer clear of th3 forum after shite results 

Thats a fair bit of steering you have had to do.