Who should replace Gerrard?

12 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Harry Redknapp with Billy Davies as the assistant and Walter Smith as director of football --- covers all the bases for the usual suspects.   

What about Frank de Boer though?

If we're sitting next season going through similar motions then maybe we should be looking elsewhere but right now he's the right man for the job IMO. This was always going to be a transitional season for us. 

Would appear people think we should be restarting fresh every season if it doesn't work at the first time of trying. Mental. 

1 minute ago, DeanMK said:

If we're sitting next season going through similar motions then maybe we should be looking elsewhere but right now he's the right man for the job IMO. This was always going to be a transitional season for us. 

Would appear people think we should be restarting fresh every season if it doesn't work at the first time of trying. Mental. 

Don't think that's the case for some mate. 

Personally I get the arguement that we can't sack managers every year & need to stick behind 1 manager for a good few transfer windows at least. I just personally don't think Gerrard (or any rookie for that matter) is the right person to be backing for 2/3 seasons, it should've been somebody more experienced.

That being said, he's here now and has to at least get next season including support from the board in the summer. If we're in the same position 12 months from now then it's time to start looking elsewhere.

5 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Personally I get the arguement that we can't sack managers every year & need to stick behind 1 manager for a good few transfer windows at least. I just personally don't think Gerrard (or any rookie for that matter) is the right person to be backing for 2/3 seasons, it should've been somebody more experienced.

That being said, he's here now and has to at least get next season including support from the board in the summer. If we're in the same position 12 months from now then it's time to start looking elsewhere.

Absolutely agree with the rookie part, but as you say, that decision was taken by the board and we now have to roll with it. He's done better than I thought he would've. But binning him after one season is not the answer. 

15 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

I'd agree if come the end of next season we are in the same spot a change will be needed. No Rangers manager would survive 2 straight seasons without success. 

I do think he'll get it right. He's got this year under his belt which was going to be a transition season. I think he'll have a much better understanding of what he needs to take this squad forward and deliver the success we want.

As you said he'll need the support from the board in the summer to do it. 

Talk of giving him next season is premature imo. He has 9 games to save his job as far as I'm concerned, 9 difficult games to prove whether he's capable of winning under pressure and getting the most out of his squad. 

3 or 4 bad results between now and the end of the season and the knives will be out and rightly so. We were in the same boat with Pedro where the end of his first season put him in a very precarious position and meant every missed step the following year would be greatly magnified. a poor finish to the season and a poor start next season and rightly  there will be calls for him to go. 

20 minutes ago, DeanMK said:

Absolutely agree with the rookie part, but as you say, that decision was taken by the board and we now have to roll with it. He's done better than I thought he would've. But binning him after one season is not the answer. 

Wow, your standards are low. 

He has 8 games against the top 6 left this season to show that he can motivate and get the most out of the players at his disposal.

I get what people are saying about he needs support from the board but he also needs to show that he can improve the players at his disposal.

4 minutes ago, DeanMK said:

Not really mate. I'm realistic. You don't win things just because your standards are high. I expect silverware next season though. 

There's a big jump between winning things and where we actually are right now. How about winning 5 games in a row? How about getting to a cup final? Beating Hibs even once out of 3 games? Beating the sheep more than once out of 6 attempts? Not getting beat at Ibrox by the bastards twice in a season without scoring a goal? Losing to them 3 times in a season for the first time ever? Turning games that are even at half time into victories? Having the bottle and mental strength to salvage something out of games when we get a setback? 

Someone asked the question around the turn of the year how we'd done this season and my answer was "par". Since then we've underachieved massively and as we stand right now the season has not been good enough by a long distance in my opinion. A win against a makeshift scum team and a decent run in Europe will not change that. 

18 minutes ago, KBOO72 said:

There's a big jump between winning things and where we actually are right now. How about winning 5 games in a row? How about getting to a cup final? Beating Hibs even once out of 3 games? Beating the sheep more than once out of 6 attempts? Not getting beat at Ibrox by the bastards twice in a season without scoring a goal? Losing to them 3 times in a season for the first time ever? Turning games that are even at half time into victories? Having the bottle and mental strength to salvage something out of games when we get a setback? 

Someone asked the question around the turn of the year how we'd done this season and my answer was "par". Since then we've underachieved massively and as we stand right now the season has not been good enough by a long distance in my opinion. A win against a makeshift scum team and a decent run in Europe will not change that. 

As I said. This season was always going to be transitional.

My point of him doing better than expected that you appear to have latched onto was more down to the fact I didn't think he'd see Christmas up here as I thought it was a mistake in appointing him.

We can argue all day about standards and what we should be achieving. But I'm going down the road of patience here and fully anticipate a far superior effort next season when we're not having to rebuild our entire squad. 

47 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

He shouldn't be sacked but he's the 4th best manager in Scotland and that isn't acceptable at Rangers 

Would you give him another season to turn it around?

I think footballers and managers do underestimate the pressure of coming to us and being a success, I think they underestimate the fight and to a smaller extent the quality of the league as well. Perhaps we aren't seeing much progress because we keep sacking people before they get to grips with the league and the club requirements?

Personally I didn't want him here because he's a rookie, but I think he should be given another season. 

3 minutes ago, Blueteeth said:

Would you give him another season to turn it around?

I think footballers and managers do underestimate the pressure of coming to us and being a success, I think they underestimate the fight and to a smaller extent the quality of the league as well. Perhaps we aren't seeing much progress because we keep sacking people before they get to grips with the league and the club requirements?

Personally I didn't want him here because he's a rookie, but I think he should be given another season. 

It's impossible to say, if we go into free fall and come 3rd or 4th which I think could happen then he should go, if he holds onto 2nd and doesn't finish a ridiculous amount behind them he should get the summer/start of next season to see what he does

I didn't want him either and don't have much faith in him turning it round but we can't keep changing manager every summer

1 hour ago, KBOO72 said:

Talk of giving him next season is premature imo. He has 9 games to save his job as far as I'm concerned, 9 difficult games to prove whether he's capable of winning under pressure and getting the most out of his squad. 

3 or 4 bad results between now and the end of the season and the knives will be out and rightly so. We were in the same boat with Pedro where the end of his first season put him in a very precarious position and meant every missed step the following year would be greatly magnified. a poor finish to the season and a poor start next season and rightly  there will be calls for him to go. 

The knives may be out but where does the money come from to pay him and his backroom team off? 

Still a fucking shameless thread.

The detractors wanting another manager actually think that King will fund him enough to win a title are totally fucking deluded.

What will happen if we force Gerrard out, King walks and leaves us in deep shit and you can take that to the bank.

27 minutes ago, DeanMK said:

As I said. This season was always going to be transitional.

My point of him doing better than expected that you appear to have latched onto was more down to the fact I didn't think he'd see Christmas up here as I thought it was a mistake in appointing him.

We can argue all day about standards and what we should be achieving. But I'm going down the road of patience here and fully anticipate a far superior effort next season when we're not having to rebuild our entire squad. 

So you thought he'd be gone by Christmas because it was a mistake appointing him, we've had a poor season but now you've changed your mind and are willing to have patience and expect him to turn things round and win something next year? 

What has he done to change your opinion so dramatically? 

10 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Still a fucking shameless thread.

The detractors wanting another manager actually think that King will fund him enough to win a title are totally fucking deluded.

What will happen if we force Gerrard out, King walks and leaves us in deep shit and you can take that to the bank.

Have you changed your mind about 'Dave' again?