Press Conference: Gerrard and Halliday

BlueKnight87

If...……...

Around 48 seconds into the interview the 'If' followed by a list of characteristics SG believes Rangers players need is correct imo.   The 'if' and his conclusion of "....if they have anything about them".     To my mind the season for SG is boiling down now to sorting wheat from chaff for next season.  

9 games left.  9 cup finals.   9 games for players to try to convince SG they are worth their place for next season, noting that SG does not expect a squad overhaul in summer but does expect to add some better players.

It's about trophies though isn't it.  We're not winning any this season.  We didn't win any last season.  We've not won a major trophy since 2010/11.   Not good enough imo.  That has to change next season and if its to be the case that most of this current squad are going to feature again next season then their individual responses to SG's 'if they have anything about them' point is going to have to have a positive - consistently positive - response from the players.   We'll see.....but the track record so far is that far too many of them don't have anything like enough about them.

6 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

If...……...

Around 48 seconds into the interview the 'If' followed by a list of characteristics SG believes Rangers players need is correct imo.   The 'if' and his conclusion of "....if they have anything about them".     To my mind the season for SG is boiling down now to sorting wheat from chaff for next season.  

9 games left.  9 cup finals.   9 games for players to try to convince SG they are worth their place for next season, noting that SG does not expect a squad overhaul in summer but does expect to add some better players.

It's about trophies though isn't it.  We're not winning any this season.  We didn't win any last season.  We've not won a major trophy since 2010/11.   Not good enough imo.  That has to change next season and if its to be the case that most of this current squad are going to feature again next season then their individual responses to SG's 'if they have anything about them' point is going to have to have a positive - consistently positive - response from the players.   We'll see.....but the track record so far is that far too many of them don't have anything like enough about them.

Halliday basically said this in the presser 

4 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

If...……...

That's a fair summation however it also works the other way where SG has to show he can have the beating of the teams that have caused problems this year with the tools at his disposal.

Why can Hibs get 3 draws with us when one is with a replacement manager after the other one was sacked? Why is McInnes getting the better of him despite having to use a few teenagers in the last game?

Is it just going to be the same formation/players from now until the end of the season? Or will he be trying different things such as 2 up front with Defoe being one? Else what was the point of getting him on an 18 month loan?

Just now, Courtyard Bear said:

How do you know Walter would be kicking the fuck out of them???

Well, I didn't say that, I actually said kicking the shit out of them. I would have though it obvious I wasn't being serious but was making a point Smith would have been tougher on the players. I assume after watching Walter smith in interviews, and reading about him and growing up during his tenure that he would be more likely to say give the players the hairdryer treatment.

But you're right, we don't know. Walter smith could have picked his moments in the media to show he's a no nonsense tough guy but actually hugged and kissed the players (not in the bad way like scum fc) after a defeat. That could have been his secret :lol:

4 minutes ago, lewislaudrup said:

Would he reveal all in a presser? I think not

That's a good point, we never know how much anyone says in the press is true in comparison to real life.

But should we eliminate all discussion about it... well... if that's the case we're as well just not having any media interviews because they might be a load of bollocks anyway!

4 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Andy knows the score 

I would give him the armband till the end of the season. 

He's not a regular in the team though, but I agree Tav shouldn't be captain. I know a lot of people would disagree because it's more difficult to direct the team from the back - but I'd give McGregor the armband.

2 minutes ago, Blueteeth said:

He's not a regular in the team though, but I agree Tav shouldn't be captain. I know a lot of people would disagree because it's more difficult to direct the team from the back - but I'd give McGregor the armband.

He should be a regular in the team imo mate 

6 minutes ago, siamthedanger said:

Would of thought our club captain might have made an apperance for this presser nah? 

Arguably he did,  the real captain that is and not the nominal one that wears the armband in games. 

1 minute ago, Tiger Shaw said:

He should be a regular in the team imo mate 

He has done well at LB hasn't he? I'd struggle to disagree with that tbh I don't think many are impressed with Barasic. It's just Halliday's defending at times is suspect but he at least gives you a bit of dig and energy. I don't even need to say much about Flanagan.