Defoe's future at Ibrox

5 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

Morelos will be gone in the summer transfer market.    Maybe a change of approach will be needed for next season by trying to reduce the dependency on a single player contributing so many of the goals (he'll be gone so Morelos' goals won't be there next season).   Change of approach being that Defoe becomes more of the first choice starter but with someone playing alongside him.

Seems to me its highly unlikely the Club can find an instant replacement for Morelos in the transfer market, ie a player who slots into the first team and scores the amount of goals Morelos has scored.  That sort of instantly effective striker is what every club is looking for and in the market we are in that sort of player is not affordable.   It'd be some bit of transfer dealing / massively good luck to get an instantly effective ready made replacement for Morelos.    More goals are needed from other players and maybe a change of approach with Defoe plus a strike partner is what SG has in mind and then using the Morelos transfer money and any other transfer money generated to get the few marquee players SG referred to.    

Great post, we mustn't forget how well Morelos holds the line up front,so we ain't just needing a goalscorer, we need a player who can hold it well and hassle defences as well.

Or we could play through the midfield, but in that case we need a strong tactical change with  two strong front running midfielders who can chase up and down all game, istead of the sideways passing.

Interesting times ahead. 

30 minutes ago, Gazzasleftfoot said:

I repeatedly hear rumours that we're paying him £60k per week. If that's true, and Morelos is on £20k, it's likely to cause discord in the dressing room. But to be fair he hasn't really been given a chance. 

That's what keeps bugging me, if we don't see him played to his strengths then we really cant blame the player. As everyone knows he's not the same type of striker as Morelos, so the system has to change for him to be of any use to us. If Gerrard is unwilling to do this then it's poor management bringing an unsuitable player to the club, and it's poor management not being able to properly use him now he has him.

If we are going to persist with one up top flanked with the two wide men, he'd be better off away. He will always Nick goals but he doesn't posess the physicality or pace to play the lone striker role. 

36 minutes ago, Gazzasleftfoot said:

I repeatedly hear rumours that we're paying him £60k per week. If that's true, and Morelos is on £20k, it's likely to cause discord in the dressing room. But to be fair he hasn't really been given a chance. 

He doesnt suit the system SG plays. he is no good up top by himself. 

2 minutes ago, Blueteeth said:

That's what keeps bugging me, if we don't see him played to his strengths then we really cant blame the player. As everyone knows he's not the same type of striker as Morelos, so the system has to change for him to be of any use to us. If Gerrard is unwilling to do this then it's poor management bringing an unsuitable player to the club, and it's poor management not being able to properly use him now he has him.

I think our management have fallen into the trap of believing anyone who has played in the priemiership will automatically stroll it in Scotland, as we all know it very rarely works out that way.

14 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Great post, we mustn't forget how well Morelos holds the line up front,so we ain't just needing a goalscorer, we need a player who can hold it well and hassle defences as well.

Or we could play through the midfield, but in that case we need a strong tactical change with  two strong front running midfielders who can chase up and down all game, istead of the sideways passing.

Interesting times ahead. 

We need to be much less dependent on Morelos. If he is injured or suspended, we seem to have no plan B.

If Gerrard does nothing else, he has to develop other options for when Morelos is not available 

52 minutes ago, mclovin9091 said:

If Morelos goes then, he's the replacement, these 6 months will be to give Defoe game time without too much expectations.

Although I don't see us not buying at least one striker during summer.

i think if morelos goes we will change to 2 up front  a big physical striker to play along with defoe  he was always going to play morelos on his own which makes the defoe signing strange as he needs to play in a 2

2 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

5 goals, 2 assists, 2 penalties won in 8 games, not full games either. 

But aye punt him. This place is genuinely hilarious. 

The problem is playing him the same way as we do with Morelos, it's mind boggling. 

Just now, BridgeIsBlue said:

The problem is playing him the same way as we do with Morelos, it's mind boggling. 

Yup. Morelos suspension the first two games we literally played like we had Morelos up front and over 180 minutes the team created one chance for him at Killie away in the cup. 

Play like Defoe is up front (against Hamilton) and he’ll score goals like he’s done his whole career. 

It’s the quality in the attacking positions that we lack bar striker. 

People expecting Defoe to hold up the ball, link in with others or go on a mazy run and finish are off their heads. His whole career has been built around movement in and around the box and feeding off quality deliveries and passes

22 minutes ago, MillwallLoyal said:

We need to find a way to play 2 up front. 

Be it a diamond, 4-3-1-2,  4-1-3-2 or 3-5-2. 

Defoe and Morelos together will bag tons of goals, hopefully with Kent tucked in behind them. 

I'm not sure if Morelos can thrive playing next to someone but I'd hope he could. I've never liked playing with one up front, it always seemed too easy to defend against at times especially when the rest of the team don't really have a threat. All you need to do is mark that one man out of the team - just stick two defenders on him and job done. Threat practically nullified. With two guys threatening up front it starts to cause some confusion in defense - who to mark? is the other guy covered by a fellow defender? Where is the other striker? It creates so much space as well because the other striker can be a decoy for an attack. Never liked one up front.

1 hour ago, tannerall said:

Him and Kenny Miller up front next year, Lafferty as back up, with ever other current promising forward loaned out to hibernate in Scottish lower divisions.

Charlie Adam, Nicky Law (who ?) and Naismith in to bolster midfield, alongside 2 or 3 average loan players from England.

Broadfoot and Danny Wilson in at centre back, Couple of current Scottish Premier players/leg breakers to bolster defence.

Then we buy two or three players from the first diddy wee Khazakstani or Moldovian team we play in Europe who play a blinder against us.

Squad sorted.

Go to Ibrox? Watch our games on telly!? 

Congratulations, you're a Rangers scout!

3 minutes ago, Blueteeth said:

...I've never liked playing with one up front, it always seemed too easy to defend against at times especially when the rest of the team don't really have a threat.

It works as readily as any other setup, all other things being in place. Morelos does his part, with limitations, but the rest of the attacking "plan" is just chronic.

1 hour ago, Gazzasleftfoot said:

He is paid by his club 60K a week, he will not get that with us.

5 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

How does this pass as news?

Good point.   Its only news in the (wretched) sense that its false news ie a story invented and put out there to see what happens.

Put differently its just stirring imaginary shit for the sake of it.   Sutton likes the smell, feel and texture of it though so its no surprise.