Gerrard on transfer targets

backup

I don't believe for 1 second we couldn't find a single player suitable to play that role whether that be as a permanent transfer or on loan. It was a clear problem area almost as soon as we got rid of Windass considering the numbers he produced last season. . That meant we had a number of months to draw up a list of targets. We ended up with an old ginger rat. I'd have rathered 1 traditional no.10 /second striker than the 3 we actually brought in. 

28 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Clarifies to an extent that he wanted and tried to fix the obvious creative failing. Not that that will matter to those who've made their mind up on him.

Wanted to but didn’t 

He knew it was an issue and instead we got Davis, that’s a serious failing given we had months to identify targets 

We chased Ejaria for being a coward, rightfully so but we didn’t replace him either 

It's not easy to find a #10 in the January window but this summers signings are massive for him and the club. He has to address the lack of creativity in breaking down teams that don't even try to play football. It has to be a marquee, proven winner of a signing who is in his prime and not living on what he used to be.

3 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

It's not easy to find a #10 in the January window but this summers signings are massive for him and the club. He has to address the lack of creativity in breaking down teams that don't even try to play football. It has to be a marquee, proven winner of a signing who is in his prime and not living on what he used to be.

That doesn’t come cheep and getting someone of the standard required in the prime of their career to even come play in our pish league is going to be difficult.

If we do sell morelos for good money then a good chunk must be spent of a few quality players. 2 ball playing cm and a right winger would make a huge difference. Obv  finding a replacement for alfie will be very difficult but if we have  4/5 players capable of 10+ goals its going to help. Kent and candeias just dont hit the numbers needed. Kents young and very very raw so i'll give him some slack. Candeias is just pish.

To those complaining that we didn't bring in a playmaker/#10 in January, SG and MA obviously know what's required but you do all realize that we are still not in a position to buy that type of player especially when in January prices for those type of players are artificially high, there are still players out on loan that are costing the club a fortune in wages, (I'm thinking Herrera,)wages that would be needed for the types of player required so it was always going to be the summer when season ticket money and the Europa cash is available, and even then we will still be left stretching the budget, IMO there's still  going to be lot of disgruntled supporters even after the next window, depressing as that sounds.

18 minutes ago, KBOO72 said:

I don't believe for 1 second we couldn't find a single player suitable to play that role whether that be as a permanent transfer or on loan. It was a clear problem area almost as soon as we got rid of Windass considering the numbers he produced last season. . That meant we had a number of months to draw up a list of targets. We ended up with an old ginger rat. I'd have rathered 1 traditional no.10 /second striker than the 3 we actually brought in. 

Hindsight is a brillant thing, but if a player(s) we want arent available or dont wanna come then we cant sign them, if anything it strengths his claim that we didnt get his targets for the role, considering the number produced as you say.

I really sincerely hope we bring in actual quality in the summer. In at least 4-5 positions across the team. It needs to happen. We can't fuck around anymore. If that means getting rid of the DoF then so fucking be it. Back Gerrard in the summer properly. Far more than he has been. Otherwise what's the fucking point? We're not in a position where we only need to add 1 bit of quality and can take a punt on some fucking potential. Nowhere near it.

Atleast the manager isn’t stubborn and recognised the need for more creative players.  I’d be more worried if he came out and said he thinks the squad is fine etc.   Going on about windass being a loss is quite laughable, if windass never hit the net then he was useless, Nicky laws cousin invisible man mk2.  

His attitude stank aswell. Well shot of him.   

25 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

To those complaining that we didn't bring in a playmaker/#10 in January, SG and MA obviously know what's required but you do all realize that we are still not in a position to buy that type of player especially when in January prices for those type of players are artificially high

These players exist in every league in the world even smallest ones.

They aren’t all multi million pound superstars, any player with some vision and range of passing from midfield would’ve improved us ten fold but we weren’t even linked with anyone fitting that description 

Pleased to hear he knows this, it’s imperative we get this position sorted in the summer. We are desperate for someone who can not just pick a pass or take a player on but make runs. The majority of the time the ball gets passed sideways is simply because of a lack of movement, Morelos marked and the rest of the midfield stood still. Someone who can make the clever runs between midfield and attack will be vital wether it’s to receive the ball themself or to open up space and take defenders away from their man. As frustrated as we all are with our recent results it’s clear we’re not that far off, and with a quality attack minded midfielder who wants to create and get in the box and score we’d have turned at least some of these draws into wins and still be in a title race right now, probably still in the cup aswell.

One thing I'd like to see next season is those in charge finding someone who can silence  the taigs straight away and put them back in their rightful place.

Anyway that's enough about admin and the taigs who always drift on to these threads with often surprisingly high post counts 😉............back to the topic. 

If Gerrard is being honest here, and I think he is,then it sounds like funding is still being tightly controlled. Hopefully that will change in the summer, and mean we can genuinely go after a few good midfielders with potential. 

We still need 7 players imo 

Gk we have loads

RB happy with Tav, polster and Flanagan

CB goldson and katic - need 2 more

Lb need an upgrade on Barisic, keep halliday as backup

Cm jack, arfield, kamara and mccrorie fine as options. Think we need 2 quality players in that area. Dorrans, rossiter, Davis, docherty, holt and coulibaly are not it for me, backup quality at best for most... Only Davis and Dorrans have the quality and they look past their best.(side note I thought Davis was our best player yesterday) 

RW need a quality right winger, keep candeias as an option

LW looking at Jones, Murphy, Grezda, Kent and middleton, it looks ok but not great. Kent has been phenomenal at times this season, but he's young and is still learning. Not a huge Jones fan. Murphy has done ok, not great. Grezda has been poor. Middleton doesn't look ready but if he has a good preseason could kick on. 

Striker Morelos (if he stays) Defoe and Lafferty are all have different styles, I feel if Morelos got injured we'd struggle so need a decent signing there.

Mark Allen and Gerrard have a lot of work to do

10 minutes ago, GA1972 said:

These players exist in every league in the world even smallest ones.

They aren’t all multi million pound superstars, any player with some vision and range of passing from midfield would’ve improved us ten fold but we weren’t even linked with anyone fitting that description 

Name one in our game. 

Scott Allan 😉😁

Feeling a bit better about our situation by the fact that celtic are absolutely rotten. The same last minute winners that some argue make them champions also mask their similar struggles in breaking down teams due to lack of quality. They've lost Rogers (who was a legitimately good manager for this level at least). They're getting weaker and it's a crucial summer for them just as it is for us. We just need to keep pushing forward and hopefully make the signings that accomplish that as there's every chance they mess up their next manager and stall/move backwards. 

1 hour ago, Courtyard Bear said:

They know what we need give them time to get it right. 

Also you know this place has went full radio rental when Windass is getting shouted as a loss when he left. 

Did we replace his goal and assist contributions to the team? I'm far from his biggest fan, I was delighted when he left but there's no denying he wasn't replaced. If Arfield was supposed to be that man then he's offered far less than Windass did, or if you want to class him as a forward and Lafferty as his replacement the argument is the same.