Should we change formation ?

soulboy

Now that the season is over should we try different formations ? 

Not only to see if something works but also to keep other managers guessing, we are too predictable and play right into other teams hands as they know exactly how we are going to set up. 

We just don't have the quality to break teams down who sit in.

3 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Our wingers are badly out of form at the moment so I wouldn’t be against the idea us going 3-5-2 and trying it over a period of time as opposed to the one game that we did before.

It's worth a go as 433 has been figured out by oppositions. 

Last time as well we tried this with Flanagan as one of the 3 cbs.

57 minutes ago, Lloyd said:

3 at the back

Especially against Aberdeen and Killie, they both deploy the same tactics against us and look at the effect our games against them have had on our season, it doesn't take a genius to work out that they want us to have the ball so being more productive in midfield to attack is essential,  my only concern would be a lack of pace with the 3 centre backs but that's when you rely on the wide men to bust a gut

2 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

Especially against Aberdeen and Killie, they both deploy the same tactics against us and look at the effect our games against them have had on our season, it doesn't take a genius to work out that they want us to have the ball so being more productive in midfield to attack is essential,  my only concern would be a lack of pace with the 3 centre backs but that's when you rely on the wide men to bust a gut

I think Katic has decent pace and Goldson isn’t that slow 

Will be interested to see what Gerrard decides (a) for the next OF game and then (b) for the rest of the season. 

For the OF game I wonder if he will try to play an open game or whether he picks a defensively minded team and relies on counter-attack.   The last thing he - or we - need is a form slump to continue and in continuing it ends up a hammering (shades of last season for example).   

For the remaining games after that maybe he might have another go at 2 up front and give some game time to Defoe and maybe Lafferty.   Partly because the assumption is Morelos goes in summer so we need to get at least the existing strikers contributing far more and also see how well a change to 2 up front could be made to work for at least some of the games.   And maybe partly to protect Morelos.    As the biggest value transfer asset we have and where we rely on that money to fund some better quality players for next season maybe its becoming time to be a lot more selective about which games Morelos plays in.  We would presumably want him to finish the season without being on the wrong end of the trend this season of ridiculous and malicious challenge(s) that opposition managers wave away as just being competitive but which risk causing serious injury to Morelos if one of them really connects with him.

These last games could be used as experimentation, but we still need and want to finish second. We are set up with Morelos at the head and whilst he plays, we need to keep it. Sure we could change out a few players in some positions, but the shape would essentially be the same, unless we take a risk and go into uncharted territory. I wouldn't unless Morelos has a case to answer with the CO and gets a four game ban.

Nah, it’s not the formation, it’s the personnel that needs changing. 

Candeias and Kent just don’t offer enough in a front 3. 

There’s also very little coming from central midfield either. We’ve basically got Tav or Morelos who create any kind of impact on a regular basis. 

2 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Nah, it’s not the formation, it’s the personnel that needs changing. 

Candeias and Kent just don’t offer enough in a front 3. 

There’s also very little coming from central midfield either. We’ve basically got Tav or Morelos who create any kind of impact on a regular basis. 

Candeias & Kent is all we have so if what you say is true then we need to change the formation. And too many times we get run over in the middle with three. I'm not a fan of 4-3-3 at least not with our players. Now Liverpool or Barcelona on the otherhand.........

It'd be nice to have a coach that was confident enough to change formation dependant on circumstance. Would make us less predictable. 

My favourite formation that I've seen us play is the Advocaat one. 442 with one winger and one wide midfielder. Would like to see it return.