Should we change formation ?

soulboy

Watched Betis v Barca on Sunday.

In the absence of the injured Dembele and out of form Coutinho they went 4-4-2 from their normal 4-3-3.

Messi and Suarez up front with a 4 player diamond shape in midfield.

Busquets holding , Rakitic  middle right , Arthur middle left and Vidal furthest forward .

The width came from the attacking full backs.

One of their best performances in a long time in a 1- 4 win.

We have the players to try this 4-4-2 shape .

4-4-2:

McGregor

Tav        Goldson      Katic    Borna

McCrorie

Jack             Kamara

Arfield

Defoe    Morelos

1 hour ago, BillySimpson said:

4-4-2:

McGregor

McCrorie

Jack             Kamara

Arfield

Defoe    Morelos

We did try this formation (Killie?). We werent good at all. Probably due to not having played it a lot.

24 minutes ago, johanhentze said:

We did try this formation (Killie?). We werent good at all. Probably due to not having played it a lot.

……………..if I recall correctly it was the first game after the winter break, away from home and on an artificial pitch.   All in all not exactly an ideal set of circumstances for the experiment.   Whether or not we have the personnel with enough footballing nous, skill, concentration and application to make it work well is also maybe another matter.      

6 hours ago, Reformation Bear said:

Will be interested to see what Gerrard decides (a) for the next OF game and then (b) for the rest of the season. 

For the OF game I wonder if he will try to play an open game or whether he picks a defensively minded team and relies on counter-attack.   The last thing he - or we - need is a form slump to continue and in continuing it ends up a hammering (shades of last season for example).   

For the remaining games after that maybe he might have another go at 2 up front and give some game time to Defoe and maybe Lafferty.   Partly because the assumption is Morelos goes in summer so we need to get at least the existing strikers contributing far more and also see how well a change to 2 up front could be made to work for at least some of the games.   And maybe partly to protect Morelos.    As the biggest value transfer asset we have and where we rely on that money to fund some better quality players for next season maybe its becoming time to be a lot more selective about which games Morelos plays in.  We would presumably want him to finish the season without being on the wrong end of the trend this season of ridiculous and malicious challenge(s) that opposition managers wave away as just being competitive but which risk causing serious injury to Morelos if one of them really connects with him.

Fuck sake if we are planning on having Lafferty next season just give it up, tallest midget to hardly head a ball.

1 minute ago, Reformation Bear said:

……………..if I recall correctly it was the first game after the winter break, away from home and on an artificial pitch.   All in all not exactly an ideal set of circumstances for the experiment.   Whether or not we have the personnel with enough footballing nous, skill, concentration and application to make it work well is also maybe another matter.      

That might be so.. but at least we did try.

In my opinion.. I think a big part of our problem is that our CBs are too deep when we are attacking.. It might be a bit risky, but f your CBs are the ones spreading the passes around a bit higher up the pitch, then your midfield can push up closer to you striker and you will have more options around the box. You see this a lot with teams that face a packed full team defence. This would definitely help us in creating chances.

1 minute ago, johanhentze said:

He looked lost that game, but we looked slow and out of ideas all over the pitch.

Yes mate but we played Davis , McAuley, Kent and Worral who gifted them a goal.

If you are going to play this formation you need to use the correct players.

Just now, johanhentze said:

What would the correct players be?

McGregor

McCrorie

Jack             Kamara

Arfield

Defoe    Morelos

Just now, BillySimpson said:

McGregor

McCrorie

Jack             Kamara

Arfield

Defoe    Morelos

I just dont see where the creativity comes from. 

5 minutes ago, BillySimpson said:

At the moment we have two front players in Kent and Candeais who provide few assists and score even less goals , we have to do try something different .

That might be so, but we need players to run with the ball to move defenders out of position. I just dont see your team doing that. Not that our current team does it a lot..

5 minutes ago, johanhentze said:

I just dont see where the creativity comes from. 

Creativity will come from full backs and balls to Alfies feet and over the top for Defoe and to a lesser extent for Arfield to chase.

Jack and Kamara would have to help out their respective full backs.

I think SG is reluctant to change from 4-3-3 as he does not want to lose the midfield battle as is understandable.

With this shape you will still have the battlers in midfield.

The problem maybe that he is reluctant to drop a few favourites.

23 minutes ago, BillySimpson said:

At the moment we have two front players in Kent and Candeais who provide few assists and score even less goals , we have to do try something different .

Not good enough at the moment hope after the break they come back flying.

I think SG should spend this full week trying a new formation but it’s probably too late and would it really have an effect on the terrible decision making of our supposedly creative players??  I highly doubt it.

If as we’ve seen away at killie the players can’t really adapt then parkhead with a new formation would be warburtonesque.