Would losing Alfredo be a blessing in disguise?

Blue Avenger

2 hours ago, Blue Avenger said:

The expectation is that Alfredo will be gone this coming summer. His lifetime ambition is to play in the EPL which you couldn't blame any aspiring player for.

He would realise his goal and we would hopefully earn enough from the sale to fund several players of quality that we badly need to make a serious challenge.

The downside is we lose our best player and his goals. We lose a player who imo has much  more to come out of his locker as he matures and grows. We also lose a player with a big heart and a personality to match. Despite all the detractors bemoaning his so called "petulance" as an excuse to demonise him and the club he plays for, there is not a bad bone n his body. He just loves going out there and doing his thing. He revels in the sport he loves.

Quite simply the haters in this midden have put a target on his back and are conspiring to destroy him. Clubfoot epitomises that mentality. What is being done to Alfredo is as cynical and sinister as it is cowardly. It is imo better that he moves away as his development is now being stunted here and he would flourish and reach his full potential in a league where football is the game and not hatred. He deserves no less. We could also say, that if he does go, the haters have won, but have they? 

On the football front, we appear to have a one dimensional approach as to a game plan, in get the ball to Alfredo. IMO we do not always do that too well, in being rather ponderous and predictable in too many games and many of his goals have been through his own selfless work ethic. When he isn't at it, we do struggle with alternatives and no plan B. Whilst we have witnessed some sterling performances as a team, the consistency isn't there as we all know and Alfredo cannot play well in every game even if he gets through the hammer throwers after being kicked up and down the park. He is only human after all.

So what IF no Alfredo? Firstly there are not many strikers out there of his style and tenacity that could replace him. I also doubt many would put up with the shite he has. If a target is put on a new strikers back, I hazard to guess he would indeed fall foul of many reds cards in taking retribution. This means our manager has to come with a new approach to our game plan and indeed show his worth as next season is make or break.

We need more goal scoring outlets than our main striker as the oppo are just snuff that position out for lack of a goal threat coming from elsewhere. We need options and a better quality of player to overcome the antifootball we face from many teams. We need to be more solid and less ponderous in defence. More creative in midfield. A higher tempo going forward and players that can deliver those cutting edge through balls. Better movement off the ball. Quick thinking, quick feet, better decision making. These qualities just don't exist in the current crop, but add 3/4 of that quality, the rest can fit into a system that delivers those consistent winnng performances. Given the resources, it is then up to Gerrard to develop that winnng system. Only on the sale of Alfredo can we have a chance of bringing in that desired quality. This summer we don't need wholesale player departure, but several of the desired quality and mentality coming in.

In conclusion, I say the sale of Alfredo liberates us from the current easy and lazy option of get the ball to Morelos which is all rather too predictiable and his absence would demand that the manager has to cme up with a better and more dynamic footballing solution to the very one dimensional approach that we now have. If he succeeds we lay waste to all before us. If he fails, we are in meltdown!

The bigger picture is Rangers without Alfredo 

It has to happen.We just can not rely on one target man .It is a massive reason why we are failing

Not because of his ability .Because he can not play with another .And let's be honest .He is hardly lethal in front of goal 

2 hours ago, gogzy said:

possibly.   It depends how the money is used from his sale.  If we use it to buy some really good players for other positions and a replacement for him, then his sale could actually be the catalyst for getting 55 next season.

We are not winning 55 withAlfredo on his own up front .The evidence is there to see this season .

1 hour ago, Negri's lovechild said:

It's an interesting read @Blue Avenger. You make some good, well thought out points. If we lose Morelos it would give us a chance to be less one dimensional and less focused on the "get the ball to Morelos" strategy. We do need others to step up and contribute a lot more than at present. 

I do hope we keep the wee man. He is improving and growing all the time. I would say if Morelos leaves,we have to change the formation and play in a very different way. 

Great response mate with a bit of fucking respect 👌

I hope we have him for another year or 2 yet simply because he is a good player albeit he could do with taking more of his chances.  He gets in loads of good positions and hits the keeper a lot.  Other than that as he has notched 29 goals so far and will break 30 he’s a good forward,  a constant thorn in a defenders side but as you say unfortunately he’s got a target on his back and what would normally be a foul on a different player is deemed fair on Morelos which is disgusting.

he gets no treatment from refs, if and when he sometimes reacts to the constant fouling then it’s always “silly boy” or “petulance” “liability” etc from the experts.    Morelos gets it from every single opposition player week in and week out and considering it’s been open season on Gers players since division 3 then he’s done well not to react more.

Now would it be a blessing if he left because of the way rely on him??   No.  We know what we are getting from the lad, any new signings might struggle with the hits and tackles, also I’d much rather a whole new midfield to take shots and be better creators than lose Morelos.   This is where Gerrard should earn his corn and the board should do everything they can to spend big on players that will be the difference between drawing and winning.

3 hours ago, born a blue nose said:

The cunt runs through walls for us man. Who would be his replacement? 

If we somehow managed to keep him, with another years progression in him, and added 3/4 quality players I'd be over the fucking moon. 

Can't think of any player that could do the job he does up top. Seriously 

Got to agree on that as well. I seriously doubt we will get another with his attributes and certaonly not ne we can afford.

IF and and big if, we can keep him, we seriously need more quality in the attacking mode to take the heat of him and actually allow him more freedom. We all know the lack of creativity is killing us. Currently there is a lot of responsibility on his shoulders, too much imo and just gets singled out, as well as runnng himself into the ground. Gerrard will need to come up with a better system if Alfredo stays or goes, because the current one is not working.

Cashing in on Morelos at this stage seems to me to be the right thing to do.    Despite repeated statements by SG about his admiration for Morelos and the goals he provides, he makes as many statements acknowledging that there is too much dependence on Morelos and not enough goals coming from other players.   Something has to be done to change that so investing wisely after Morelos has gone is vital.

Its not just 55 asap that SG and the Board need to have in mind.  They must surely have in mind the 150th anniversary season and must surely be intent on using whatever money they can generate to acquire / develop the players needed to make that season a real success.  If we can to get 55 before then would imo be essential as the pressure to achieve that in the anniversary season might be way too much for the sort of players can afford.  

Next season is vital.  There needs to be a team on the pitch that wins a cup and which either wins the league or comes a damn sight closer to it than the crop of players this season.   It'd be great if Morelos was part of that but I'm guessing that the transfer money he'd generate may be more important than keeping him.   Besides which, as teams in Scotland get more used to playing against him they'll add other devices to their armoury to try to nullify his goal scoring threat and without Morelos we don't get enough goals.   Next season we need to give teams a far stronger Rangers to compete against - a Rangers where over-reliance on a single primary goal scorer is replaced with plenty of other players contributing match winning goals...…….and a defence that eliminates the habit of gifting careless goals. 

3 hours ago, CoopsLaud said:

Without reading the op, cant see how him leaving could possibly be construed as a blessing. Unless it says in the op he is defo leaving for 500 million?

The scum aint that good.

Every cunt knows we depend on him. He can't turn up for every game ffs, but the system we play and the lack of quality around him, he just becomes the target for the oppo to stifle him, far less booting fuck out of him.

I think there is a lot more to come from him, but he just can't get the opportunity for the reasons stated. We just can't expect to continually do the same thing and get a different result, but the quality just aint there around him to have oppo defenders worrying about others and thus give him the space to do what he is good at. 

The scum game will take care of itself and every cunt on their toes. Just that the scum will do their utmost to get him red carded and then we're fucked. I can only expect that we do our best and go toe to toe with them, ref permitting!

34 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

The scum aint that good.

Every cunt knows we depend on him. He can't turn up for every game ffs, but the system we play and the lack of quality around him, he just becomes the target for the oppo to stifle him, far less booting fuck out of him.

I think there is a lot more to come from him, but he just can't get the opportunity for the reasons stated. We just can't expect to continually do the same thing and get a different result, but the quality just aint there around him to have oppo defenders worrying about others and thus give him the space to do what he is good at. 

The scum game will take care of itself and every cunt on their toes. Just that the scum will do their utmost to get him red carded and then we're fucked. I can only expect that we do our best and go toe to toe with them, ref permitting!

Cant really disagree with that, makes sense.

7 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

No, would be more inclined to say selling Tav could liberate us. 

Let’s be honest to win the league we need an improvement on probably half that starting 11. 

Can't disagree on that score. Fuck, that would be an inresting thread!

It's all coming down to the money again. I'm happy that we have stepped up a bit from beforem but gutted that we threw away chances against dross. The results against the scum wouldn't even have mattered, but that's what comes of having too many players who just can't do it week in week out, in being simply limited in both ability and mentality.

22 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Can't disagree on that score. Fuck, that would be an inresting thread!

It's all coming down to the money again. I'm happy that we have stepped up a bit from beforem but gutted that we threw away chances against dross. The results against the scum wouldn't even have mattered, but that's what comes of having too many players who just can't do it week in week out, in being simply limited in both ability and mentality.

Would hope the board step up in the summer and convince Mo to stay and give Stevie enough money to get those 5/6 better quality players we need. 

We should really be building on our best players and adding more genuine contributors.

Why some think losing our best player would liberate us in some way is utterly beyond me. 

The biggest issue is that the cunts around Alfredo are shite, rather than we’re one dimensional because of him. Lose him and we’re zero dimensional. 

Better start building a team around somebody sharpish or we are going to float about like the rest of the shite in Scottish football LDDWLDDLWLDLDD and he's the best we've got, so better building around him than building bridges with fenian and snp scum who want us dead.

I wish him well when he goes but yes in answer to your question. 

He cant stay on the field.  More importantly because our players see their job as getting the ball to him , even when his job should occasionaly be to draw defenders away, we are so fucking easy to defend against.  Cant wait till he goes tbh. 

Heard all this pish with boyd and the disaster if he left.

13 minutes ago, BlueThunder said:

I want to see a Rangers team where Alf is one of our weaker players.

Well that's not happening. He's arguably the best striker we have had in over 20 years, and we've had some really good ones on that time.

1 minute ago, crazy bob swollenbaws said:

I wish him well when he goes but yes in answer to your question. 

He cant stay on the field.  More importantly because our players see their job as getting the ball to him , even when his job should occasionaly be to draw defenders away, we are so fucking easy to defend against.  Cant wait till he goes tbh. 

Heard all this pish with boyd and the disaster if he left.

:Fod: