Big Goldson

MacBoyd

1 hour ago, harlands plater said:

I think he’s regarded as the experienced central  defender who’s expected to guide younger guys like Katic or Worrall, but in reality he’s not played a lot of games himself.

I think he could do with having a more experienced defender beside him for a year or two, by that I don’t mean McAuley but someone about thirty or so.

Totally agree. He's a second centre half. Craig Moore was a second centre half and when he returned with more experience he was a ruthless leader. Goldson isn't on the same mould but he can definitely improve with experience at our club.

Jesus wept.

Hes went from no pressure and having his arse glued to a bench for 90% of the time at a championship level team to week in week out football in all competitions within the Glasgow fish bowl.

Have a day off, he’s doing awrite.

He’s a decent player who’s now burnt out through a combination of it being his first time playing regular football for a couple of years and him playing though injury for a couple of months.

What he isn’t is the leader we need at the back though. He’s the calmer, more cultured player who needs the warrior, blood and thunder type beside him.

1 hour ago, hammer93 said:

He is ok...people seem to think 3 million is a lot of money.....the reality is we paid 4.5 million for big Amo 22years ago...you get what you pay for so to speak. 

A fact often overlooked.

On inflation alone, the £4.5m for Amo would be costing  £9m now. Factor in transfer fee inflation, which is went up exponentially compared to to actual inflation... we'd be paying £15-£25m for a player of that calibre now. 

Remember Amo was in his mid 20's, Fiorentina captain, and a player on the fringes of a National team call up. He had attracted interest from Manchester Utd and the likes, and was considered a bit of a coup for us. A severe injury and playing in Scotland probably hampered his career.

How much would you pay now for a mid-20's, first choice centre back from a top team in Serie A..... and that is before considering Serie A was probably the best league in Europe at the time with a national team that had, even 20yrs later, household names in defence! Nesta, Cannavaro, Costacurta, Maldini - some of the GOAT defenders!

6 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

He’s a decent player who’s now burnt out through a combination of it being his first time playing regular football for a couple of years and him playing though injury for a couple of months.

What he isn’t is the leader we need at the back though. He’s the calmer, more cultured player who needs the warrior, blood and thunder type beside him.

He is meant to be but I think his passing is awful

10 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Hearts will never win the league. That's a  good contribution to a thread. Then you actually now want to start genuine debates with folk? Aye ok.

That's a wee poke at @MacBoyd because he went through a wee phase of praising Hearts, nothing personal and just a joke.

Aye because your contemptuous post was a magnificent contribution to the thread mate, aye ok indeed.

5 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

That's a wee poke at @MacBoyd because he went through a wee phase of praising Hearts, nothing personal and just a joke.

Aye because your contemptuous post was a magnificent contribution to the thread mate, aye ok indeed.

Hey don't be so sensitive, you're the perma troll that often prefers FF (where you're not your real self) as you get better genuine debates 😂😂😂.

"Magnificent contribution'. 😂 You're a riddy. Just ignore relevant points made in the post about his lack of experience and working previously in environments nowhere near as pressurised as at Rangers. Comments echoed by others on the thread too. 

Cant stop a troll trolling I suppose 😂

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Hey don't be so sensitive, you're the perma troll that often prefers FF (where you're not your real self) as you get better genuine debates 😂😂😂.

"Magnificent contribution'. 😂 You're a riddy. Just ignore relevant points made in the post about his lack of experience and working previously in environments nowhere near as pressurised as at Rangers. Comments echoed by others on the thread too. 

Somebody annoys you more than I do lol

11 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I really get under your skin mate eh?

9 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I'm not a fan of bi-polar trolls, that's all 👍

Anyways, Conor Goldson......

Don't think you fully understand what bi-polar means but ok.

Anyways, i've made my opinion clear about Goldson but you did that thing you accused me of and ignored my relevant points.

I think he's a decent acquisition who's coming to terms with the rigours of playing his first real full season. I think with a more dominant partner beside him next season he will flourish. The ultimate aim for us would be to sell him on at double what we paid then reinvest. I think he's got enough about him for that to be a realistic outcome.

7 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

Don't think you fully understand what bi-polar means but ok.

Anyways, i've made my opinion clear about Goldson but you did that thing you accused me of and ignored my relevant points.

Not denying you're a troll though 👍. Place would be better off if you found FF a better long term option. Then those who do want to genuinely discuss topics could get on with it that bit better without the trolling. Cant see RM being so fortunate though. I've digressed for the final time on the matter.

Connor Goldson gets pass marks for the season, imo, though his form has tailed off which is no real surprise.

I expect and anticipate more from him next season, hopefully a replacement for Worrall can be quality to add to that of CG and NK.

39 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Not denying you're a troll though 👍. Place would be better off if you found FF a better long term option. Then those who do want to genuinely discuss topics could get on with it that bit better without the trolling. Cant see RM being so fortunate though. I've digressed for the final time on the matter.

Connor Goldson gets pass marks for the season, imo, though his form has tailed off which is no real surprise.

I expect and anticipate more from him next season, hopefully a replacement for Worrall can be quality to add to that of CG and NK.

Not denying your post was contemptuous:tu: not quite sure where you think I'm trolling here, already explained to you that was a joke between me and him. The tone of your first post did indeed seem like trolling funnily enough.

Pretty much how I see the relevant point, started fantastic but has faded and has looked a liability recently, he keeps his place because the manager clearly trusts him more than other centre halfs we have at present. Hopefully he re-pays that trust next season with experience under his belt.

4 hours ago, MacBoyd said:

Ok. What about goldson?

Goldson is one of the main reasons we have not lost that many games this season . It isn't because of the full backs , that is for sure

He has his faults and now his critics but he is the one player I want to see kept for next season . I think the long season is taking it's toll on him slightly

One of the players I trust  tbh . If the midfield and forward players had taken any of their 1000 chances this season . Then I doubt very much we would even be doubting the big mans ability to keep us pretty solid at the back

3 hours ago, Bigdave30 said:

Jesus wept.

Hes went from no pressure and having his arse glued to a bench for 90% of the time at a championship level team to week in week out football in all competitions within the Glasgow fish bowl.

Have a day off, he’s doing awrite.

Bit of common sense, gone through a major health scare and playing a handful of games per season to playing almost fifty games and we're only in March.  Least of our worries but needs to stop trying to be Iron man playing on when injured.  

2 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Bit of common sense, gone through a major health scare and playing a handful of games per season to playing almost fifty games and we're only in March.  Least of our worries but needs to stop trying to be Iron man playing on when injured.  

Too many half brained knee jerks aimed at him but that’s all part and parcel of playing for us.

I hope after a full season under his belt to get up to speed mentally and physically he should be able to deliver more consistent form next season.

7 hours ago, Jeffrey said:

Better than we've had in a quite a while but still not good enough to be a starter in a title winning team for me. A 3rd choice.

At 3m he has been a huge disappointment though. 

Should be Worrall and Katic between now and the summer.

Absolutely no point in playing Worrall now as he will be going back to Forest unless, that is, you have 'dreams' of catching the scum between now and the end of the season !

Whilst SG will no doubt be looking towards the window, he will also be looking at the best he can get out of current players so, unless he has expectations of signing some on a permanent, perhaps you shouldn't expect too much between now and then !

PS. I think that Goldson has the ability but has burned out and will be fine next season now he knows what to expect !