Gerrard, we have made progress

backup

8 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Villereal are still in the competition and they weren't much better than us. Could you imagine this place if we were playing tomorrow? Playing in Europe means a lot to Rangers and its history.

When we were in the lower leagues, i never once said "i can't wait till we're back playing for domestic cups again, i really miss those league cup nights at Ibrox" it was always European football or fighting for the league we all missed most.

European football is a huge part of our clubs history and it's something i definitely want us to be competing in.  

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

When we were in the lower leagues, i never once said "i can't wait till we're back playing for domestic cups again, i really miss those league cup nights at Ibrox" it was always European football or fighting for the league we all missed most.

European football is a huge part of our clubs history and it's something i definitely want us to be competing in.  

Euro football is a large part of our history, but so is winning trophies, ask the arsenal fans how they felt consistently qualifying for the CL and winning an FA Cup every 5 or more years

That mob are two away from 10iar and on course for a treble treble, we badly need a domestic honour to get that monkey off our back, remember back to our 9iar, tarriers hadnt won a major honour for 7 years was it, they won the scottish one year, it gave them the belief that they could stop the 10 when it came

We badly need that, just like we needed the OF win in december, one single domestic trophy might just give us the belief and put the doubts in their minds

Continually watching them clean sweep scottish football wont help us, especially as euro money isnt guaranteed 

37 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Don’t care whos team it was, still one of the worst results in our history.

Doesn’t change the fact them beating us for the first time in 26 years down to him being a joke.

Cost wise Pedro’s were worse.

Both are embarrassing, Motherwell is worse.

I’ve sugarcoated anything tbf, Gerrard isn’t great, Pedro was so much worse

Ive seen the tarriers come to ibrox and canter 3-0 when we had a team costing 10's of millions, ive seen advocaats team get pumped off of venglos' mob 5-1 as well, to say a tarrier team pumping us while spending 3x what we were and going unbeaten all season is one pf our worst results in history is an overstatement imo

Aberdeen didnt beat us at ibrox for 26 years, this season they have done it twice, and beat us 3 times in one season for the first time ever, is gerrard a joke? 

And i fail to see how losing to regular cup finalists in motherwell in a semi is worse than aberdeen both in a semi and at home in the quarters as worse, both are utterly shite, theres no difference

Pedro was so much worse, but circumstances helped that, he had a worse team to overhaul than gerrard did, both havent been good enough, however one was punted and another one isnt, gerrard gets my backing but i wont say the improvements this season have been enough as imo they havent, 

1 hour ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Yet here we have cunts greeting because we can't compete with them under Gerrard. 

Financially we are where we should be. 

Hilarious that the same people who are slating Gerrard for not doing better than he is despite the fact that there is still a massive financial gap are now trying to use the fact that there was a massive financial gap as a way to try and defend Caixinha and justify his rotten results against them.:lol:

17 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Hilarious that the same people who are slating Gerrard for not doing better than he is despite the fact that there is still a massive financial gap are now trying to use the fact that there was a massive financial gap as a way to try and defend Caixinha and justify his rotten results against them.:lol:

Moaning that we didn't reach a final but if we lost to them you know for a fact the uproar would still be as bad. 

Never a happy medium on here, we're either going to do this or that after a few good games or we're just as bad as we were in the lower leagues etc. 

It's fucking bonkers,getting fed up reading the same pish almost every day on here. 

20 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Ive seen the tarriers come to ibrox and canter 3-0 when we had a team costing 10's of millions, ive seen advocaats team get pumped off of venglos' mob 5-1 as well, to say a tarrier team pumping us while spending 3x what we were and going unbeaten all season is one pf our worst results in history is an overstatement imo

Aberdeen didnt beat us at ibrox for 26 years, this season they have done it twice, and beat us 3 times in one season for the first time ever, is gerrard a joke? 

And i fail to see how losing to regular cup finalists in motherwell in a semi is worse than aberdeen both in a semi and at home in the quarters as worse, both are utterly shite, theres no difference

Pedro was so much worse, but circumstances helped that, he had a worse team to overhaul than gerrard did, both havent been good enough, however one was punted and another one isnt, gerrard gets my backing but i wont say the improvements this season have been enough as imo they havent, 

Disagree completely, the 7-1 is the worst probablt, then I'd say the 5-1/5-0 last season..

The results have been yes, Pedro acted like one as well as the team being one. 

Regular cup finalists, by that you mean that one season? Aberdeen are a better team than them was my point. 

I agree they haven't been enough. I haven't and won't they say are, I've called for him to be sacked after the cup game against the Sheep, but he's still a better manager than that clown.

Comparing Pedro to Gerrard completely falls down when you realise one was a fucking imposter who lost to a team from Luxembourg and the other led the team to the Europa league group stages through 4 rounds which had never been done before. 

I think one thing that's maybe been dispelled during the Pedro spell was that he deserved a bit of a free pass for having Warburton's players. When he signed his own players he couldn't get the team playing. If you look at the likes of Heckingbottom at Hibs - it's done him no harm not having his own players. Same goes for Steve Clarke when he first joined Killie IIRC. In fact, wasn't his first game Pedro's last?

Anyway, I can't agree that there's much of a comparison between Gerrard and Pedro at all. Pedro should have been out the door by the start of his first full season and he should have been gone after Luxembourg. 

3 minutes ago, Lloyd said:

Comparing Pedro to Gerrard completely falls down when you realise one was a fucking imposter who lost to a team from Luxembourg and the other led the team to the Europa league group stages through 4 rounds which had never been done before. 

Both ultimately led to no domestic honours, we badly need a trophy in the cabinet, not even getting to a final is brutal given the shite that put us out of them

1 minute ago, McKissock said:

I think one thing that's maybe been dispelled during the Pedro spell was that he deserved a bit of a free pass for having Warburton's players. When he signed his own players he couldn't get the team playing. If you look at the likes of Heckingbottom at Hibs - it's done him no harm not having his own players. Same goes for Steve Clarke when he first joined Killie IIRC. In fact, wasn't his first game Pedro's last?

Anyway, I can't agree that there's much of a comparison between Gerrard and Pedro at all. Pedro should have been out the door by the start of his first full season and he should have been gone after Luxembourg. 

He shouldnt have been given the job in the first place, 

1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Both ultimately led to no domestic honours, we badly need a trophy in the cabinet, not even getting to a final is brutal given the shite that put us out of them

Have you ever given any credence that administration is the reason for a bare trophy room? That is unprecedented in the history of our club and it takes time to recover. We are inching closer to Champions League money and then we are back on neutral grounds and they are scared at the thought. Their fake domination is just about over.

1 minute ago, bluenoz said:

Have you ever given any credence that administration is the reason for a bare trophy room? That is unprecedented in the history of our club and it takes time to recover. We are inching closer to Champions League money and then we are back on neutral grounds and they are scared at the thought. Their fake domination is just about over.

Hope so mate

17 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Again. Both led to no domestic honours but one got put out of Europe by a club who had scored 1 time ever in Europe before they put 2 past us and the other took us through 4 rounds, into the groups where we held our own in most games and earned us a lot of money. 

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Euro football is a large part of our history, but so is winning trophies, ask the arsenal fans how they felt consistently qualifying for the CL and winning an FA Cup every 5 or more years

That mob are two away from 10iar and on course for a treble treble, we badly need a domestic honour to get that monkey off our back, remember back to our 9iar, tarriers hadnt won a major honour for 7 years was it, they won the scottish one year, it gave them the belief that they could stop the 10 when it came

We badly need that, just like we needed the OF win in december, one single domestic trophy might just give us the belief and put the doubts in their minds

Continually watching them clean sweep scottish football wont help us, especially as euro money isnt guaranteed 

I understand where you're coming from and if the financial gap between us and them wasn't as big as it is, i would probably be agreeing with most of what you said. But the reality is, the financial gap is huge and we need to prioritise until we get closer. That's why Europe is far more important than winning a domestic cup imo.  

Once we're regularly challenging for titles again and hopefully we're closer to them financially, these domestic cups will be back to being diddy cups tbh and nobody will care about winning them, unless we're going for a double/treble.

I'd rather have a decent run in Europe than reach the league cup final. In some ways you could say getting through 4 qualifying rounds is as good as winning a cup given the cash you make and getting to experience the night's we enjoyed that we hadn't had for a good few years.

29 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

I understand where you're coming from and if the financial gap between us and them wasn't as big as it is, i would probably be agreeing with most of what you said. But the reality is, the financial gap is huge and we need to prioritise until we get closer. That's why Europe is far more important than winning a domestic cup imo.  

Once we're regularly challenging for titles again and hopefully we're closer to them financially, these domestic cups will be back to being diddy cups tbh and nobody will care about winning them, unless we're going for a double/treble.

All it takes is them fluking one CL group stage and we're needing more than 2 europa group stages just to match them

Get us a trophy in the bag, get the guys used to winning things, the pressure of performing on the semis and finals, nobody expects us to win a euro trophy so theres not as much pressure, we need to learn how to win things again, and quickly

Would you rather they won a 4th treble next season but we got europa group stages again or would you not like a cup or two to start the ball rolling

2 hours ago, bluenoz said:

Villereal are still in the competition and they weren't much better than us. Could you imagine this place if we were playing tomorrow? Playing in Europe means a lot to Rangers and its history.

The biggest disappointment for me out of Europe was that I expected the players to get a massive confidence boost from the results/performances and expected the intensity shown against Rapid to be on display on a regular basis - sadly got neither.  We have the nucleus of a good squad but need to find a much higher level of consistency to win the league.  Plus when results are going well SG needs to stop tinkering - if it ant broke don't fix it.

To say we have not improved - absolute nonsense - but we are not yet where we need to be. 

1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

All it takes is them fluking one CL group stage and we're needing more than 2 europa group stages just to match them

Get us a trophy in the bag, get the guys used to winning things, the pressure of performing on the semis and finals, nobody expects us to win a euro trophy so theres not as much pressure, we need to learn how to win things again, and quickly

Would you rather they won a 4th treble next season but we got europa group stages again or would you not like a cup or two to start the ball rolling

I expect us to improve next season and the Euro money from this season will help us add the quality we've been lacking hopefully. 

I think we need to worry about ourselves more than worry about what their doing tbh. Sort our finances out and it won't matter what they do.

4 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

I expect us to improve next season and the Euro money from this season will help us add the quality we've been lacking hopefully. 

I think we need to worry about ourselves more than worry about what their doing tbh. Sort our finances out and it won't matter what they do.

The two go hand in hand, we need to win the league for the chance of CL money, tarriers might not get another AEK team in the qualifiers next season, the money we made from the europa league will cover shortfalls, unless the board wish to cover them again and let us spend the money we will be not much better off financially when it comes to the team

We need that CL money, and we need to win the league, spending the next two years making the europa group stages while they win 10iar and maybe making the CL group stages once isnt good enough 

22 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

The biggest disappointment for me out of Europe was that I expected the players to get a massive confidence boost from the results/performances and expected the intensity shown against Rapid to be on display on a regular basis - sadly got neither.  We have the nucleus of a good squad but need to find a much higher level of consistency to win the league.  Plus when results are going well SG needs to stop tinkering - if it ant broke don't fix it.

To say we have not improved - absolute nonsense - but we are not yet where we need to be. 

As much as I loved Europe, I think they ran out of steam ( poor excuse for a professional I know ). Goldson is a perfect example. Arfield and Jack picked up injuries maybe as a result of overplaying.

1 minute ago, bluenoz said:

As much as I loved Europe, I think they ran out of steam ( poor excuse for a professional I know ). Goldson is a perfect example. Arfield and Jack picked up injuries maybe as a result of overplaying.

Many of our players  haven't played a full season like Goldson,also the weekend mid-week circus 3 games a week took its toll on players who hadn't built up the required fitness levels. Hopefully next season we can build on this. 

5 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Partially agree but the inconsistency has been evident most of the season.

Goldson, Candeias, Morelos, Tav all must be close to 50 games already this season - certainly must take its toll on the body -- Goldson hadn't played 50 games total n the past three seasons. 

1 minute ago, LV said:

Many of our players  haven't played a full season like Goldson,also the weekend mid-week circus 3 games a week took its toll on players who hadn't built up the required fitness levels. Hopefully next season we can build on this. 

It absolutely affected the first old firm game.

Archived