Gerrard, we have made progress

backup

1 minute ago, Tiger Shaw said:

He’s talking about Warroll mate 

I thought he meant we had a CB OUT on loan, not that we had a CB ON loan. :confused: We actually have two Worrels' playing for us, depending on what day it is.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gaffbear said:

We turn a few draws into wins then it's a different story .

Wattie had that knack to turn dire 0.0 into a sneak 1.0 ..Gerard will do that eventually with a bit more quality to the side .

Total faith in the guy .

Therein lies the secret, celtic have done it twice in the last month turning 2 points into 6 with the last kick of the ball, reverse the roles and there is nothing in the league but atm no way do we ever look like nicking it at the death.

1 hour ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Let’s see what happens tomorrow first, another humping by the perverts and the argument for progress made will look shoddy 

Does Steve not realise some of the keyboard men he talks about actually spend hundreds into the thousands every year following the team and are well in titled to their opinion. We’re the cunts who stand in the freezing cold week in week out watching the shit performance against hibs st Johnstone etc.

I don’t believe he’s done enough and a wee bit arrogant regarding the keyboard men IMO

any real progress will show tomorrow so let’s hope your arrogant for a reason 

1 minute ago, pcbear said:

Therein lies the secret, celtic have done it twice in the last month turning 2 points into 6 with the last kick of the ball, reverse the roles and there is nothing in the league but atm no way do we ever look like nicking it at the death.

That's the strange thing as we looked so much fitter in the earlier stages of the season. Europe maybe hampered that

I think we've certainly made progress, but to bridge the gap completely its going to take cold hard cash. At some point the board are going to have to find the money for three or four quality players.

11 minutes ago, Willger said:

I think we've certainly made progress, but to bridge the gap completely its going to take cold hard cash. At some point the board are going to have to find the money for three or four quality players.

This,we need at least four or five quality players to overtake the tarriers and only serious money will do that otherwise we will be playing for second with the rest of the dross.

There can be no doubt that we are a far more organised and more rounded team.

A loss on Sunday and then possibly at Ibrox, throw in the fact we’ve still to play sheep at Ibrox and we could be looking at finishing 16-18 points behind the Tarriers.

is that progress?

We have made progress. However, I think we’d be a lot closer to them if we had chosen some different players during the January window. Kamara is decent, but I don’t think Defoe or Davis have had anywhere near the impression we needed or wanted. Hopefully they will prove me wrong tomorrow.

It doesn't matter how much progress we have or haven't made, it's results that matter and we haven't got the results we need this season. If we lose tomorrow then this season is a complete failure. People can try to polish it however tbey like by by bringing up Europe etc but the fact is Europe is irrelevant compared to the league and we've had some completely embarrassing league results this season.

2 hours ago, plymouthranger said:

Quite a one sided view.

you could flip it and say:

1) first team ever to qualify for Europa league after 4 qualifying rounds

2) drawing home and away with Villarreal 

3) finally beating the taigs

4) losing 1 out of 6 Europa league games in one of the hardest groups on paper

5) Massively increasing the value of players like Morelos etc 

Number 1 isnt correct. We're like the 8th team to do. Including us, 3 teams did it this season alone.

2 hours ago, plymouthranger said:

Quite a one sided view.

It was one of the easier groups and we lost twice and we should 100% have qualified.

27 minutes ago, Lloyd said:

Tav, Jack, Mccrorie. 

I'm not sure Tav is more valuable than he was before Gerrard came in. He's just another year older.

Jack has definitely improved but we're not going to actually sell him or McCrorie to anyone.

We have made progress in the sense that we actually have a base to build on this season, instead of needing a whole new team.

This season was always going to be a mixed bag. We had to build more or less a full new team and well... some work out, some don't - it's trying to build something out of spare parts and job lots. By that I mean, somebody like Barasic - a good player and would no doubt do well in a certain style of team - but maybe not what we need.

Next season we can target square pegs for square holes - people who have been scouted to fit our system.

This summer transfer window is the one I will judge Gerrard and Mark Allen on. They've had a season to see what the team needs, identify where we are strong and where we are weak, and see who fits the managers vision of how he wants us to play. Any players brought in simply have to be improvements and/or fit in with what we need.

12 minutes ago, OhW said:

I'm not sure Tav is more valuable than he was before Gerrard came in. He's just another year older.

Jack has definitely improved but we're not going to actually sell him or McCrorie to anyone.

Mccrorie was linked with moves away in January and his value has increased, Jacks value has increased, Tav has definitely increased in value not just by his numbers in the league but his performances in Europe too. 

3 hours ago, plymouthranger said:

Quite a one sided view.

agree with all that .

But I reckon the qualifying from 4 rounds had been done before .but it's a very recent thing .

still a tremendous achievement considering a rookie manager and an almost whole new team 

Talking about a journey, the current location on the route, the experience of the journey so far, comparing it to previous parts of the journey and so on is the preserve of those whose experience is of the journey itself and not the destinations.

Those who win league titles and win cups get to point to the trophies, the destinations achieved.  There is a tangible and lasting measure to the so-called progress made.   Winners names get recorded in the stats books and history books at the top of the page.  The rest just get passing mention.

The nose and the tail of it is we have not won a major trophy since 2010/11.   When trophies start to be won then talk about progress is more meaningful as an end product has been achieved.  Until then - with the greatest respect to the Manager - his talk is deflection, the talk whose only purpose is to offer some explanation and some hope.   The real talk is when he has a trophy in his hands.

Until trophies start to be won again - especially the league title - then talk of progress is only another way of trying to explain failings and of making excuses and of wistful thinking of what might have been.

Keyboard message to SG - go steer Rangers to winning a trophy then come back and talk about progress.    It's trophy winners we want not progress chasers.  

We shipped goals left right and center last year and lost 7 home games,  yeah we were eliminated from both cups by Aberdeen  but it doesn’t really matter who it was against. We lost end of.

the league has had too many stop start performances but I look at the Motherwell away game and livvy away as ones where the new players and Gerrard had a culture shock.  Motherwell were like rugby players that day and sneaked a draw, the Livingston pitch by all accounts is dreadful even by 4g standards and will have a bearing on the players wether we like it or not.   There’s a reason why big professional leagues don’t have plastic pitches. The quality of football and potential injuries with quick players on those surfaces is likely to far higher than grass.     Aberdeen have been a thorn in our side as have killie but not because they are better than us, we simply lacked the creative difference maker in those tight games.

what were missing is a leader like the tims have albeit he’s a knob, and someone like Tom rogic or Scott Sinclair,  those 3 mentioned really can win them games when they’d normally draw or even lose.

4 hours ago, MrMckee said:

Looking forward to seeing how we go about the summer recruitment and pre season. Only next season can we judge the progress properly and have a good idea if we are going to make major strides. I think that is a fair timeline to judge on. 

The last two managers didnt get that luxury

Archived