Gerrard, we have made progress

backup

17 minutes ago, backup said:

The Rangers the most successful club in world football says it all, improvement is more trophies, being 2nd is the improvement of those with limited horizons, which brings us back to dave.

Improvement ≠ Success.

You can have improvement without success, and you can have success without improvement. Stop conflating the two. 

The argument over whether or not we should have won more is one of whether or not there has been sufficient improvement, which is a totally different question to whether or not there has been improvement at all.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

Improvement ≠ Success.

You can have improvement without success, and you can have success without improvement. Stop conflating the two. 

The argument over whether or not we should have won more is one of whether or not there has been sufficient improvement, which is a totally different question to whether or not there has been improvement at all.

You have nailed it .put it into the right words and the right order. This idea has been bouncing about my brain since the thread started but couldnt get them in written form .

1 hour ago, Creampuff said:

Improvement ≠ Success.

you sound like this guy👍 

19D17056-4363-45C2-81D4-D3DA88C7D40B.png

On 15/04/2019 at 10:27, backup said:

The Rangers the most successful club in world football says it all, improvement is more trophies, being 2nd is the improvement of those with limited horizons, which brings us back to dave.

Nah being second is the improvement of  those who didn’t finish second the last 2 years. 

• 2 weeks later...

Compared to how we finished last season, and with 3 games still to go:

Confirmed 2nd compared to 3rd

2 more points

2 more goals for

Half the goals lost

Stronger euro run & beating scum over 90mins.

Now it's not enough, and mistakes and weaknesses by players and management need(ed) to be addressed. But by fuck this now puts to bed and proves the progress that undoubtedly has been made.

Has how this season has went put us in a better position to challenge for silverware next season? I think that is now the important question. 

Personally I think if we do well in the next transfer window then this season will have been a huge building block towards success. I feel we have a very decent core squad now. 

15 minutes ago, ForeverBlue92 said:

Has how this season has went put us in a better position to challenge for silverware next season? I think that is now the important question. 

Personally I think if we do well in the next transfer window then this season will have been a huge building block towards success. I feel we have a very decent core squad now. 

We now need 3 or 4 1st team players in key positions better than what we already have. We need consistency to go with ability. We need to grind out ugly wins. We need to cut out costly unnecessary individual errors.

Manags this, then its entirely doable.

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

2 more points

2 more goals for

Half the goals lost

Now it's not enough, and mistakes and weaknesses by players and management need(ed) to be addressed. But by fuck this now puts to bed and proves the progress that undoubtedly has been made.

My 4-6 points prediction, is wrong thankfully. First time I’ve ever been wrong

Think about it from their perspective.  Beat  them at Ibrox and the team they had consigned to history will be finishing 6 points adrift.  Just 6 points.  Fine margins, had Jack made better contact with his shot at the girodome we may well have won that game and gone on to win the league on goal difference.   We are that close.   Ship out those that aren’t up for the fight and bring in 3 or 4 quality signings that will take us forward. 

2 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

2nd place clinched

More goals scored 

Less goals conceded 

Higher points tally

Definition of progress. 

It is a definition of progress.   The very fact that throughout this thread efforts are made to define it, to quantify it, to explain it, to rationalise it and so on, is at one level all very interesting.  But arguably does not sufficiently pass the 'so what' test other than in the sense of trying to take some comfort from not winning any trophies yet again.    Winning trophies is what matters - there would be no dissenters from that mark.   Yet again we have won none.

Maybe the debate needs to be reframed for next season away from 'progress' to 'trophy winning success'.   That after all is, imo, what really matters in defining a Rangers team. 

1 hour ago, Reformation Bear said:

It is a definition of progress.   The very fact that throughout this thread efforts are made to define it, to quantify it, to explain it, to rationalise it and so on, is at one level all very interesting.  But arguably does not sufficiently pass the 'so what' test other than in the sense of trying to take some comfort from not winning any trophies yet again.    Winning trophies is what matters - there would be no dissenters from that mark.   Yet again we have won none.

Maybe the debate needs to be reframed for next season away from 'progress' to 'trophy winning success'.   That after all is, imo, what really matters in defining a Rangers team. 

You're referring imo to "sufficient progress".

For me, next year that is indeed silverware. And the need for 55 has to be part of that.

6 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

2 more points

2 more goals for

Half the goals lost

Potentially we could be top scorers two years in a row. Really hope we have an eye on defensive cover. 

32 minutes ago, kanjo said:

Potentially we could be top scorers two years in a row. Really hope we have an eye on defensive cover. 

It's no good winning 5 nil then drawing nil nil. Its no good not losing goals but also not winning games.

Its about scoring enough and conceding as little is required to continually get us 3 points. That's all that really matters.

• 2 weeks later...

The progress has been fantastic but also I think Gerrard has learned so much in his first season. Scottish football is a different animal and Gerrard has the mark of it now.

Don’t expect anymore Ejaria or Sadiq type signings. He knows what is needed here now and that will help next season. 

We need Barasic, Davis, Defoe and Kamara to have a solid pre-season with us. Integrate Jones, Hastie and Stewart, see if they can find a spine for Grezda (or fuck him off) and a couple of good front men and the future is orange 

Archived