Tavernier

G.E.C.

1 hour ago, Courtyard Bear said:

How do we know we would worse of without him??

We have no idea who Stevie would have in mind to replace him. For me personally he makes too many mistakes in big games. 

3-5-2 if your going to keep Tav would be a good move as it gives him more cover.

Exactly.

I think we focus to much on individual players and not the collective. Too much on the stat's of individuals. The individual stat's are pretty much meaningless when you don't win games. Yes we are better than last season, but we are still 13 points off them and it's only the result that tells thevtrue story. Win ugly, win good matters little. The result is all.

As good a win it was last night, you still see the same deficiencies. To much square passing and ponderous from the back. Misplaced passes. Poor decision making. Movement off the ball. The tempo of our game is pretty poor. Aganst the teams who sit in, we are normally fucked and between the lack of quality and tempo, we kill ourselves off.

You watch the EPL and it's 2,3,4 passes and you are in the oppo's box. Yes we don't have that quality, but it's this backwater we are playing in, so it's all relative.

I expect and hope that we set up differently next season, as results have shown that we cannot depend on the individuality of Tav or Morelos when it matters as the results show.

Whether it's 3-5-2 or whatever matters not, but the tempo needs upped, along with a system that gets us from a to b a damned sight quicker that it does now and with the clinical finshing we are currently devoid of. We look so disjointed at times, the link up play is just abominable. Strangely enough Davis improved that with his link up play last night, so who knows.

Only better quality and and some ingenuity from Gerrard will improve things, as we cannot continually roll out a dog and pony show that lets us down when it matters.

3 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Exactly.

I think we focus to much on individual players and not the collective. Too much on the stat's of individuals. The individual stat's are pretty much meaningless when you don't win games. Yes we are better than last season, but we are still 13 points off them and it's only the result that tells thevtrue story. Win ugly, win good matters little. The result is all.

As good a win it was last night, you still see the same deficiencies. To much square passing and ponderous from the back. Misplaced passes. Poor decision making. Movement off the ball. The tempo of our game is pretty poor. Aganst the teams who sit in, we are normally fucked and between the lack of quality and tempo, we kill ourselves off.

You watch the EPL and it's 2,3,4 passes and you are in the oppo's box. Yes we don't have that quality, but it's this backwater we are playing in, so it's all relative.

I expect and hope that we set up differently next season, as results have shown that we cannot depend on the individuality of Tav or Morelos when it matters as the results show.

Whether it's 3-5-2 or whatever matters not, but the tempo needs upped, along with a system that gets us from a to b a damned sight quicker that it does now and with the clinical finshing we are currently devoid of. We look so disjointed at times, the link up play is just abominable. Strangely enough Davis improved that with his link up play last night, so who knows.

Only better quality and and some ingenuity from Gerrard will improve things, as we cannot continually roll out a dog and pony show that lets us down when it matters.

Can’t argue with any that. 👍

27 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Exactly.

Good post mate.....👍

1 hour ago, Blue Avenger said:

Exactly.

Agree with all of that, we are simply going to have to find formations & ways of playing to progress.  

The players apart from the obvious 2or3 are all of similar standard, just think some of them need a more specific/refined role to get more out of them.   

4 hours ago, gogzy said:

He was not shite on Sunday.  He was one of the only reasons we ever got back into the game in the first place.

He made a terrible error, but he wasn't shite.

Cost us the game . If we apply the same logic that Woral cost us the points versus Kilmarnock . Then he cost us another OF defeat .

5 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

Cost us the game . If we apply the same logic that Woral cost us the points versus Kilmarnock . Then he cost us another OF defeat .

Doesn't mean he was shite.  He was one of the best players on the park barring that one pass.

On 05/04/2019 at 02:57, siddiqi_drinker said:

FFS thought this had been put to bed yet the haters still hate.

Tav IMHO should not be the club captain but to claim he is a bad player or that he has not proven to be good value for his transfer fee is ludicrous.   

Our chances of lifting a major trophy will be put to bed or limited as long as Tav is our attacking full back and captain 

I would put my house on that 

No hate .Just a footballing opinion and I think we are all allowed  that .Right 

I actually stated that I'd prefer him not to be our captain though we are very short of candidates qualified for the  responsibility.  Who'd you suggest, Ryan jack has avoided the ignominious red cards and has shown some consistency but TBH I am really struggling to pick a replacement.

Sure the forum is all about opinions which we are all ALLOWED to express.

Sometimes the vitriol aimed at Tav is however beyond the pale and not reflective of his overall performances.

All IMHO  of course.

On 05/04/2019 at 07:16, eejay the dj said:

Our chances of lifting a major trophy will be put to bed or limited as long as Tav is our attacking full back and captain 

I would put my house on that 

No hate .Just a footballing opinion and I think we are all aloud that .Right 

Of course we are all allowed our opinions but yours would be a daft way to lose your hoose mate.

Tav is a good player and i really think we would struggle to get an attacking fullback in with anything close to his stats with our budget. Look at Barasic ffs.

As for captain, well yeah i think we need a better leader but who in our sqaud would you make captain? I certainly would look at the guy who has almost kicked every ball and played every minute for the last 3 years. Someone who the dressing room respects.

The old firm pass was a shocker. But lets not ignore the fact that after his pass Callum McGregor still had to play a pass between two players. Edouard is running at an angle towards the edge of the box and again is given time to turn and pick out a pass without being tackled and Goldson fails to slide in front of Forrests shot to try and prevent it. So despite Tav's mistake there was still chances to prevent the goal. 

5 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Of course we are all allowed our opinions but yours would be a daft way to lose your hoose mate.

Tav is a good player and i really think we would struggle to get an attacking fullback in with anything close to his stats with our budget. Look at Barasic ffs.

As for captain, well yeah i think we need a better leader but who in our sqaud would you make captain? I certainly would look at the guy who has almost kicked every ball and played every minute for the last 3 years. Someone who the dressing room respects.

The old firm pass was a shocker. But lets not ignore the fact that after his pass Callum McGregor still had to play a pass between two players. Edouard is running at an angle towards the edge of the box and again is given time to turn and pick out a pass without being tackled and Goldson fails to slide in front of Forrests shot to try and prevent it. So despite Tav's mistake there was still chances to prevent the goal. 

That is a decent and fair reply mate . However that is not the first with Tav . He has been doing same thing for past 4 years and played in countless humiliations .

You will never convince me , we can't sign a crosser of the ball of equal measure , a guy that can actually hit a set piece on target more than 1 out 20 , a guy that could have made that pass for or even  more often like the one for Kent in last weeks game . And we won't mention the defensive responsibilities

Naw our standards are so low , we are accepting of the mediocre

17 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

And I also remember big Amo making a mistake on the half way line against Monaco that cost us a  last 16 spot . The same things apply . Plenty of others could have stopped the goal that stopped us getting the win that night . The only thing is remembered, that Amo had a howler . That is the way it is .

Although big Amo won trebles , doubles and rag dolled  fartson and Mutton all over the shop in many OF wins

Ive calmed down now and am sober. 

I like Tavernier, he really did show his doubters about the captaincy wrong last weekend, he drove us forward and demanded the ball at all times and also went mental at Goldson cause he played it back to McGregor when we were 1-0 down. From there we scored. 

We’ll not be able to replace the goals and assists he’s got, he’s one of our top assets and we need they type of players to win titles. 

His individual error cost us the game, but that’s the first real error directly leading to a goal he’s made in months. Which is more than you can say for pretty much every other defender we have at the club.

He’s a key player, and not one we should be letting go for less than £5m.

4 hours ago, Creampuff said:

His individual error cost us the game, but that’s the first real error directly leading to a goal he’s made in months. Which is more than you can say for pretty much every other defender we have at the club.

He’s a key player, and not one we should be letting go for less than £5m.

I think a major problem for us is that a lot of our fans are still valuing players as if this is back in 2002. 

When a club like Aberdeen are refusing to sell what I regard as a mediocre CB in McKenna for 5-10million (depending which paper you read), then I can't understand why some of our own fans think getting 7m for Morelos or 5m for Tavernier is an acceptable deal.

We won't grow or be able to afford the calibre of players we need/want unless we start to hold out for the fair value of our players given what others are going for.

21 hours ago, grant_rfc said:

I think a major problem for us is that a lot of our fans are still valuing players as if this is back in 2002. 

When a club like Aberdeen are refusing to sell what I regard as a mediocre CB in McKenna for 5-10million (depending which paper you read), then I can't understand why some of our own fans think getting 7m for Morelos or 5m for Tavernier is an acceptable deal.

We won't grow or be able to afford the calibre of players we need/want unless we start to hold out for the fair value of our players given what others are going for.

Exactly. Look at waghorn. Left for buttons and a year later he’s an £8 million player. 

On the flip side though, who would  have thought anybody would have paid £3 million or so for widass?

you have to ask how much Rangers would be prepared to pay for a player with Tavernier’s stats today.

would anybody be happy spunking £5-7 million on a RB? I’d say most would say no,

so, why should we sell a player that is obviously a good player, and is getting touted at 5-7 mill, to probably fill his position with an inferior player?

only way we sell him is to possibly fund the purchase of 2-3 players, but as I mentioned, the replacement will probably be of less quality.

at the moment Flanagan won’t do, and I’ve yet to see polster play.

im sure the manager will deal with it one way or another though.