Jermain Defoe

Vision

Just now, ritchieshearercaldow said:

Prefer players to do their talking on the pitch

He had a good game on Wednesday, hopefully he carries that form into the next game.

Tbf, I think he has? He's pretty much always scored when called upon and in a system which doesn't suit him. Think over the next three games playing people a little narrower to him he'll grab a few more.

3 minutes ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

Prefer players to do their talking on the pitch

He had a good game on Wednesday, hopefully he carries that form into the next game.

5 league goals in 8 games I'd say is a pretty decent return considering most of those have been from the bench. 

Just now, jackrfc95 said:

5 league goals in 8 games I'd say is a pretty decent return considering most of those have been from the bench. 

Admitted he hasn’t had a regular starting place but there has been a few games where he has been fairly anonymous when coming on.

We’ll see how he gets on if he’s the first pick.

Good read & glad he's helping the younger players, can definitely benefit from that. 

As said before, the worry for me is that if he does well the rest of this season he becomes 1st pick next season if Morelos goes. 

If we get rid of him we need somebody who is first team quality & not a youngster or something and expect Defoe to be first choice with the new guy as backup, which is personally what I see happening.

7 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Good read & glad he's helping the younger players, can definitely benefit from that. 

As said before, the worry for me is that if he does well the rest of this season he becomes 1st pick next season if Morelos goes. 

If we get rid of him we need somebody who is first team quality & not a youngster or something and expect Defoe to be first choice with the new guy as backup, which is personally what I see happening.

Can see that as well, punt Mo bring a young striker as back up play Defoe pocket the money from Mo. 

The scum win the league. 

1 minute ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Can see that as well, punt Mo bring a young striker as back up play Defoe pocket the money from Mo. 

The scum win the league. 

Yep really wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. Hope we get the money to invest in the squad in some regard but I really don't expect a 5/6 million replacement for Morelos if he goes.

Going to need to pull some right cracking signings out of nowhere, theres not 1 person we've been linked with who has given me any hope yet (albeit I know it's only April) 

Just now, bluenoz said:

He is half the player he once was. His experience in passing on to youngsters is his biggest asset now. I've no doubt he can still score but he is no longer a 90 minute player every game.

Pretty sure he’s played a few 90 minute games. 

Don’t need him to be a 90 minute player when he’s scoring the goals in the little amount of mins he’s playing.

We’re definitely not paying Jermain Defoe a good wage to kick about with youngsters

1 minute ago, bluenoz said:

He is half the player he once was. His experience in passing on to youngsters is his biggest asset now. I've no doubt he can still score but he is no longer a 90 minute player every game.

Just like Souness with Wilkins, Francis pass on their experience and good practice as both were ahead of the times re diet, rest etc. 

10 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Pretty sure he’s played a few 90 minute games. 

Don’t need him to be a 90 minute player when he’s scoring the goals in the little amount of mins he’s playing.

We’re definitely not paying Jermain Defoe a good wage to kick about with youngsters

You think he can play 90 mins a game in a 50+ game season?? 

14 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

You think he can play 90 mins a game in a 50+ game season?? 

Possibly,  Davie Weir managed it and he was a few years older.  Defoe keeps himself in immaculate condition by most accounts.  He might have a year of 90 minutes in him.

That being said, I don't think he was brought here to play 90 minutes of every game.