Gordon Strachan

Former celtic manager Gordon Strachan will no longer be used by Sky Sports after controversial comments in which he appeared to conflate convicted sex offender Adam Johnson's situation with racial abuse.

Johnson has recently been released after serving three years in prison for engaging in sexual activity with a 15-year-old fan, and the ex-England winger has not ruled out a return to football.

Strachan said in his role as an occasional contributor on The Debate earlier this week: "If he goes on to the pitch and people start calling him names, have we got to do the same as it is to the racist situation?

Read more: Ex celtic boss Gordon Strachan's take on Adam Johnson an affront to abuse victims

"Is it all right to call him names now after doing his three years - have we got to allow that to happen?"

Strachan is not an employee of Sky so is not subject to its disciplinary protocols, but the broadcaster has distanced itself from the Scot's remarks and Press Association Sport understands he will not be used again.

A Sky statement said: "The comments were made by a guest on The Debate. Of course Sky Sports does not support the comments and we're sorry for the offence they have caused."

Press Association Sport is seeking a response from Strachan or his representatives.

:britney:   What a fucking roaster 

4 hours ago, King Jela said:

What a fucking moron. At least we’ll never see him again, thank fuck. 

He'll pop up again somewhere, he is a media favourite and has plenty of pals in high places in the sportsdesks of radio and TV. Sky will let it settle down till next season, and he will be back in amoungst after a spell at BBC Match of The Day 2.

21 hours ago, Paisley Blue Loyal said:

Thought of that pretty much straight after I made previous post mate, Honestly wouldnt surprise me in this fucked up wee country.

Well him and Malky Mackay dream team of sorts. 

19 hours ago, harlands plater said:

He’s always been a smug, smarmy wee bastard who thinks he’s smarter than everyone else. Typical wee man syndrome.

I remember reading in SAFs book that he nearly blootered the wee tumshie in the old Trafford dressing room on day because he was on a roll with the wee smart ass comments that only he found remotely funny

2 hours ago, Creampuff said:

I sort of get the point he’s trying to make, but comparing non-white people to paedos was an absolute disaster of a decision. 

What a fanny :lol: 

I don’t get the point at all. Johnson is a paedo and it is correct to call him this.

3 hours ago, Creampuff said:

I sort of get the point he’s trying to make, but comparing non-white people to paedos was an absolute disaster of a decision. 

What a fanny :lol: 

I got the point too, I thought it was along the lines of "he's done the crime and served his time" kind of thing, and perhaps he shouldn't be targeted.  I guess there's an argument for that, but it's not one I'd agree with!   But to compare it to racism was entirely the wrong analogy or comparison 

I think he was subconsciously thinking of BJK and how that's no fair.  :mutley: