Arfield to Southampton.

Lloyd

1 hour ago, Prso's headband said:

I can’t believe the myth that’s been driven that Arfield is a poor player or doesn’t do enough. That period where he was out for a few games we struggled like fuck without him. 

He’ll win a title or two as a Rangers player, of that their is no doubt in my mind. 

Didn’t realise he was only 30 as well, he’ll easily give us another 3 years

Good attacking player who can stick the boot in and press to win the ball also.

Would be mad to let Arfield go IMO. Unless we had serious talent coming in to replace him. We were crying out for quality like him since we returned to the SPL - quality midfielder, at the right age who had held his own in the Premiership and wasn't coming here to call it in for a wage. 

When Arfield is out of the team we look so one dimensional from midfield. I would absolutely accept he's had dips in form, but his quality is unquestionable for me - especially having seen him operate as a kind of inside right/inside left forward the last couple of games too. I think he'll be even better next year and if we can improve the quality around him he'll thrive. 

I would note that 3-5m on a guy at 30 who we signed on a freebie and on decent wages wouldn't be bad business, but I don't think we'd ably replace his experience and ability for that price without some form of risk (ie would take time to settle - a guy who hasn't played in this league, for a club this size or is fairly inexperienced etc etc.)

The possibility of losing Arfield, Morelos and Kent is really worrying. We would be considerably weaker next season without the three of them, we’d have to spend big money to replace them and that’s just to stand still. If we really want to go forward and challenge the taigs we need to keep our top players and spend our transfer budget on a few quality additions that will build and improve on this season.

50 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

Are people going out their way to dislike Arfield? :lol: 

His stats are excellent. He’s a very good player. Suggesting otherwise is just nonsense.

He's not Gascoigne or Ferguson which is enough for some mongos to call him shite.

3 hours ago, Captain Hilts said:

He's already played for EPL relegation cannon fodder for a number of years, has recently had a chld up here and seems very settled.  Highly unlikely this will happen.

Did he not say at the time of his transfer to us that he thought it was time to move to Scotland to start setting down for the future?

I suppose you can say 3m for a player at 30 (turning 31 soon) who we got on a free would be decent business. 

But If you can't replace his contribution for that fee then in my opinion we would be better to reject it and keep him.

Do we honestly think there is a surefire replacement out there who will hit the ground running for less than 3million? 

2 minutes ago, terry739 said:

Did he not say at the time of his transfer to us that he thought it was time to move to Scotland to start setting down for the future?

He said something along those lines aye. Can't remember exactly but he had a kid around December time so I doubt he'd be in any hurry to move in any case. 

12 minutes ago, grant_rfc said:

I suppose you can say 3m for a player at 30 (turning 31 soon) who we got on a free would be decent business. 

But If you can't replace his contribution for that fee then in my opinion we would be better to reject it and keep him.

Do we honestly think there is a surefire replacement out there who will hit the ground running for less than 3million? 

We are talking premiership prices, they want him they can pay for him the going rate down there or goodbye. As £3m does not do it for me.