Ally McCoist: Rangers Are Four Top Players Away From Matching celtic

tannerall

See if we stuck Ajer, Forrest and any one of McGregor, Rogic or Ntcham in our starting 11 we’d romp this league IMO. 

None of them are world beaters, but they’re better than our options in those. It can be done with a bit of smart investment in the squad. 

What we don’t need is more ‘decent squad options’. It has to be game changing first 11 quality. 

McCoist is right, surprisingly. 

12 hours ago, Real Ranger said:

The biggest frustration this season has been the points dropped that really shouldn't have been, last minute goals against us while they have scored last minute goals is basically what separated us.

Almost as much depends on what they do in the summer as what we do in all honesty. I've no doubt not losing anyone and adding 2 or 3 quality players is all it will take if they fail to improve.

That's not going to happen though.

18 hours ago, TopCat said:

Pretty much sums up our situation with this statement......if we can bring in the right 4 or 5 players we will win the league next season imo.

Dave King needs to fund SG  in the transfer market this summer - no ifs buts or maybes.

How much money should the manager be given this window?

We have spent just short of £20m across 2 seasons, not including loan fees and paying off players. Is that really not enough?

In the 4 years from 2007/08 - 2010/11 (when we won three in a row) we spent a total of £33m, but brought in loads from players sales ie. Alan Hutton,  Carlos Cuellar and even the likes of Danny Wilson, Kevin Thomson, Daniel Cousin bringing in a few £m each.

I would argue that we had a better squad at that point than we do now, but if you look at the squad we had in 07/08 I wouldnt say we arent a million miles away!

3 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

See if we stuck Ajer, Forrest and any one of McGregor, Rogic or Ntcham in our starting 11 we’d romp this league IMO. 

None of them are world beaters, but they’re better than our options in those. It can be done with a bit of smart investment in the squad. 

What we don’t need is more ‘decent squad options’. It has to be game changing first 11 quality. 

I am hoping that's why we are bringing in the likes of Jones, Stewart (if correct), Kamara etc...signing players that on paper strengthen the squad overall, but meaning that we can go and spend £3-5m on a couple of stand out players!

With the right homework, and a bit of luck (Morelos), we might not need to spend that much to get a good player, but I think that's the level of investment we need this year.

18 hours ago, 35 Yard Dangerman said:

It's not his job to identify who these players will be.

He is absolutely bob on though. That's what we need.

Bob who? What are his credentials? :p:

This isn't really anything we aren't already aware of. It's just a question of who and who will we be replacing for this to happen. 

1 hour ago, Del said:

How much money should the manager be given this window?

We have spent just short of £20m across 2 seasons, not including loan fees and paying off players. Is that really not enough?

In the 4 years from 2007/08 - 2010/11 (when we won three in a row) we spent a total of £33m, but brought in loads from players sales ie. Alan Hutton,  Carlos Cuellar and even the likes of Danny Wilson, Kevin Thomson, Daniel Cousin bringing in a few £m each.

I would argue that we had a better squad at that point than we do now, but if you look at the squad we had in 07/08 I wouldnt say we arent a million miles away!

I’m not sure we’ve spent £20m on players in the last two seasons, but even if we have, we still had to build from scratch after a joke manager for the first of those seasons. 

Gerrard has spent what? £5-6m net? That doesn’t win you the league. 

I think we need to hit £10m mark this summer, with it all going on 3 or 4 game changing quality players. 

Supplement that and the existing squad with SPFL squad players if we must. 

I don't think he's all that wrong. But the problem is 4 players is over 33% of the team, 40% if you assume McGregor is nailed on to start another season. If in any other group you said we need to replace 35%-40% of the members to get where you need to be then you'd be a long way off. 

8 hours ago, dougie76 said:

That's not going to happen though.

Why? I don’t see them spending much in the summer and even if they do it’s irrelevant.

11 points behind them. That’s Livi away, Killie away and Aberdeen at home, 3 games Gerrard would probably admit he’s been naive in. Take those 9 points and add 2 games from the other 9 we’ve drew when we probably should have won and we aren’t far away at all. They certainly won’t get much stronger under Lennon imo and they’re fucked if they fail to make the cl again. This is the best they’ll be for sometime and even then the thing that made them better is away (Rodgers). 

48 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

Seen a photo in a paper today with him happy as a Cheshire cat in amongst his best mate . Francis McAvenie and popcorn teeth

It just made me ill looking at it

“Aww I know they’re tims but they’re awrite, I’m no a bigot” 

can imagine being his answer to that. 

23 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Why? I don’t see them spending much in the summer and even if they do it’s irrelevant.

11 points behind them. That’s Livi away, Killie away and Aberdeen at home, 3 games Gerrard would probably admit he’s been naive in. Take those 9 points and add 2 games from the other 9 we’ve drew when we probably should have won and we aren’t far away at all. They certainly won’t get much stronger under Lennon imo and they’re fucked if they fail to make the cl again. This is the best they’ll be for sometime and even then the thing that made them better is away (Rodgers). 

If my aunt had baws.

11 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

Every time I have watched ajer against Morelos he’s bullied him. Hopefully he goes instead of boyata lol. 

I think people are seriously underestimating the tarriers squad on here. They have been shite this year and it was still enough to win the league at a canter. 

Agree with Mccoist 100% on this.

I hope king sticks by his statement. I also don’t see the need for it or the adverts on Clyde for season tickets? We sell out and have a waiting list... what’s his worry?

19 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

I’m not sure we’ve spent £20m on players in the last two seasons, but even if we have, we still had to build from scratch after a joke manager for the first of those seasons. 

Gerrard has spent what? £5-6m net? That doesn’t win you the league. 

I think we need to hit £10m mark this summer, with it all going on 3 or 4 game changing quality players. 

Supplement that and the existing squad with SPFL squad players if we must. 

I think that will be the figure we will spend summer, around £10m, maybe more if we sell Morelos and Tav, but it need to go on 3-4 quality players and not 6-7 players like it has in recent seasons.

As for the money spent, the list I put together (which might not be exact) is as follows:

This season in

Goldson - £3m

Barisic - £2.2m

Katic - £2m

Grezda - £1.8m

Murphy - £1m

Lafferty - £450k

Total - £10.4m

This season out

Windass - £1.3m

John - £800k

Total - £2.1m

Net Spend this season

£8.3m

Last Season in

Pena - £2.7m

Herrera - £1.5m

Dorrans - £1.5m

Cardoso - £1.4m

Morelos - £1m

Candeiass - £800k

Docherty - £600k

Bruno Alves - £500k

Total - £10m

Last season out

Garner - £1m

Waghorn - £1m

McKay - £700k

Wilson - £300k

Total - £3m

Net Spend last season

£7m

I am not saying the figures are exact but ive taken them from a few different sources (some in pounds, dollars and euros) and I dont think it will be far wrong?

14 hours ago, DBBTB said:

A centre half, a more creative centre midfielder, a winger and a striker of real quality and we won’t be far away. Getting those players is easier said than done though.

Definitely, but as you said, easier said than done and at what cost!

On 15/04/2019 at 20:53, grant_rfc said:

Are people forgetting the fact that they will have quite a huge change in personnel for next season? 

They have at least 8 first teamers out of contract/end of loan. The new manager might not like the players he is left with and want to ship more out.

There are no guarantees the players they sign will be any better than what they had. 

So its actually pretty difficult to make a statement on what we will need to challenge. The only thing that remains true is that they were there for the taking this season and we blew it by being inconsistent.

True. They will need an overhaul too. We are inconsistent, not worse. Most goals against us have come from our possession playing against packed defences. We are a couple of players away and a replacement for Morelos that can do what he does and still stay on the pitch.

14 hours ago, LV said:

Does any one think DK will invest the 19 million, he raised for the share purchase, in the playing staff. 

I know I am answering a rhetorical question but...Probably not, but then we don't need to spend that amount. It's now about the right player. For me, the single most important player is that gazza type who can make a turn, run in on goal or make a defence splitting pass. Yes, they are few and far between, but that's what we need most.