Did we lose many fans after 2012?

King Jela

13 hours ago, magic8ball said:

My wee man whos 8 goes to a "mixed" school in a semi rural area .I had similar concerns that there may be a lost generation .

He tells me that all the boys are bluenoses bar one .

The lone taig has a father who is a lazy workshy bead rattling cunt .

so maybe there has been a resolve from the youngsters and of course their families .

im going to be even more delighted for my son than what i will be when we get 55 .the youngsters deserve it 

I don’t have kids bud but I completely understand the sentiment in your post. Spot on mate, and it’ll be glorious for all concerned 

I know one guy who never missed a game home, away, Europe and all over the world watching friendlies who as soon as we went down said he’d never return , to my knowledge he hasn’t though seen him at a Euro away trip but he went for the time with his mates but didn’t go to the game. Was some bluenose, I went to LA with him for the Galaxy friendly 

16 hours ago, Reformation Bear said:

They'd gotten pretty used to seeing a successful side that's for sure, having seen enough seasons in their lifetime of near empty Ibrox so the thought of returning to those days was there too.  The latter part of the Murray era then the dumping down to Div 3 was hard for them to take, plus losing out on shares they held and on the debenture investment.   At ages when the dark days looked like taking a very long time to recover from - that's still the case - they just stopped going and the first thing they did was stop buying STs.  

I visit some from time to time.  They still have their proud pictures framed on the wall - photos of themselves with Souness and others, proud memories of great days.   But the damage back then in their minds was done, made more acute by being dumped down to Div 3 - something none of them agreed with.   Bear in mind also the whole story of what happened from a Rangers point of view has never really come out.  All the facts are known by Rangers, all the notes of meetings and so on but never a full Rangers account of what happened.   

It'd be easy enough to criticise them, or to somehow paint them as being lesser Bears these days because they gave up their STs and only go to occasional games.    They way I look at it nowadays is its great the Club has been able to attract the volume of ST holders it does even without winning any major trophy since 2010/11 so those who gave up their STs and who gave up following home (and in some cases away) every week make their choice, which is fair enough in the circumstances as they saw it and still see it.  

I honestly have no respect for that at all.

can't say for sure. no doubt there will be those who turned their back on us. some might even have started supporting that lot in the east. that said i think if you're born in glasgow and whichever team you support then that's your team for life. you can't just change it. for those who turned their back on us i imagine they will have crawled back when we got back into the premiership or will when we win 55. 

i know someone of the older generation. one of the biggest Rangers guys i knew. never missed a game, never missed a walk, and would set about that lot. hated them. but when we went down in 2012 he just stopped caring. never watches us play  anymore or go to walks. the only interest he shows is checking our results in the paper or listening to whatever pish the BBC spew on their propaganda channels.

my dad made damn sure i was a Rangers fan from the day i was born. maybe being born on the day of the orange walk was a sign for him! also all of my mums side have irish history and all support that mhob. he had his work cut out for him because i was surrounded by them. i remember he was ready to beat my uncle up because he tried getting me to wear a celtic top when i was 4! i was obsessed with and loved Rangers as a kid. i must admit as a teenager i did pay less attention to football as a whole. when admin happened in 2012 that's when i started paying interest again. the club needed our help. got my season ticket and i could count on one hand the amount of games i've missed since that day at Brechin. if i can't watch it then i'll at least follow live updates on twitter or something. also it made me realise how close we were to losing the club. i admit i took it for granted but nearly seeing the end of us made me want to support and protect the club more than ever. 

If anything there was more kids at Ibrox in the lower leagues , I'm guessing due to the lower prices and now we've got a waiting list for season tickets longer than it has been since the 9 in a row era. It's galvanised the support imo.

18 hours ago, magic8ball said:

2 reasons why you will see more tarrier tops than ours .

1 we have had a boycott for a long period and just getting back to normal .

2 .these cunts buy a top and pass it down to the next wee guy .i recently saw a taig wearing a top with peoples sponsoring .shows how long thats been in circulation

These bastards rip the arse out of the beasty tap as above. They wear them like tattoos as dnt have any other clothing.

one day paddy will be wearing it then after shaging wee Sean it will get passed to him. 

i work in town and I see more growing adults in there 50s wearing celtic tops but I am also seen more than ever people walking about with Rangers bags. Growing men in our support have more class than the manks.

i also have recognised a lot of tourists with the Rangers bags  .if a tourist comes here for a visit there is only one club they will truly know about and that is obviously the famous. That’s how it is vital that we continue to have a shop in city centre.

I don’t think so but I’d say it’s probably changed our support a bit.  There’s a worrying trend towards accepting mediocrity and a victim mentality that’s growing ever more pervasive.  Every time we lose or draw it always seems to be the refs fault, everything seems to be part of an anti-Rangers agenda.  It’s the kind of loser talk that the taigs hit out with for decades.

21 hours ago, RJMcGregor said:

I have noticed a general trend in alot of youngsters in general not giving a shit about Scottish Football as a whole. Can't say i have noticed a huge swing from ours to theirs or anything like that in the younger groups, although i feel like i see more of their tops these days, dunno if that's just me though

Aye that’s just you 

My oldest was born 4 months before the shit hit the fan for us but he sees the passion I have for our club and the way I talk about Rangers so he now talks about Rangers in the same way, loves it when we score and knows that celtic are scumbags so I think it comes down to the older generation passing on the same that passion for our great club to the younger generation and for all those who have yet to see or remember that feeling of watching the league trophy beeing lift at Ibrox it will come and it will bring out the bear in a whole generation of kids who may feel like they could not express themselves for footballing, cultural or political reasons and you will see a blue tide turn that wont ever recede again, to ansewer the O/P, there was one bear in my family before the shit hit the fan now there are 3, Rangers is not something you can turn away from or pick up when you feel like it, its something you are born into and we will always keep growing! We are the people!

19 hours ago, Bigdave30 said:

Anybody who doesn’t support us or encourage their kids to follow on because we have had a spell on our arse were never worth letting through the turnstiles in the first place.

You are of course entitled to your opinion and for that opinion to have a degree of respect.    Although I'm sure you are aware there are probably plenty of Bears may disagree with it though.   What I think we can all agree on though is on the hope that at some future season the Club will see league title honours again and some cup wins.    

The same people go to the games as they've always done, the same people take their families as they've always done, the same people's families take their families as they've always done, they keep the Protestant traditions going as they've always done, that's why the Club didn't fold during a dark period the same diehards kept the lights on as they've always done, as they'll do in the future if needed as they've always done. So Mote It Be.

On 19/04/2019 at 12:10, King Jela said:

I had never thought about it that way. My old man sat through their 9 in a row and European cup years and that’s what he said as well, just made them more resilient. I know my weans won’t be kicking about in green and white rags, that’s for sure, 

I sat through their 9inar & European Cup yrs (they got to 2 finals) it was murder, my da had these books with photos of us winning trophies (sixties) I used to think ‘when will we win trophies’ and I find myself telling my grandkids, it’s ok we will do this, like my da used too. It’s still murder, it’s longer now without a trophy when I was young.

4 hours ago, Reformation Bear said:

You are of course entitled to your opinion and for that opinion to have a degree of respect.    Although I'm sure you are aware there are probably plenty of Bears may disagree with it though.   What I think we can all agree on though is on the hope that at some future season the Club will see league title honours again and some cup wins.    

100% in agreement,  I’m confident honours will return to Ibrox, it’s more a case of ‘when’ rather than ‘if’.

1 hour ago, ps95v7 said:

I sat through their 9inar & European Cup yrs (they got to 2 finals) it was murder, my da had these books with photos of us winning trophies (sixties) I used to think ‘when will we win trophies’ and I find myself telling my grandkids, it’s ok we will do this, like my da used too. It’s still murder, it’s longer now without a trophy when I was young.

We also got to two European finals in that period.

Throw my tuppence worth in and No I don’t believe that we have lost any younger fans with being in the lower leagues and them winning everything under the fucking sun.

We seem a much more loyal support now than we have at any other time that I can remember going back to the early 80’s when I started going with my pals.

We have stuck by the club throughout these dark times and that goes for the older bears and the young bears.

You probably see more of them out and about but as others have said it is the only top that they own.

I owned a season ticket from Mcleish's last season until we reached the Championship, I needed to give it up at the time due to work and not being able to justify spending so much money on it when I was barely getting to half the games, regret that decision now but my support has never waivered.