Are we a better team with Defoe rather than Morelos?

AlCapone

Are we better with Defoe?  

251 members have voted

1. 1. Are we better with Defoe

• Yes
    • No
    • The same

2 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

No, you can’t compare the 2 as we have changed the way we play to suit Defoe. 

Play that way with Mo in the team and he scores 40 goals a season. 

I’m not comparing the two, I’m asking are we a better team with Defoe rather than Morelos? Personally I think we are, if we can imagine Defoe had been the main striker all season would we have more points and won a cup? Less suspensions, would that have made us more successful? 

3 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

No, you can’t compare the 2 as we have changed the way we play to suit Defoe. 

Play that way with Mo in the team and he scores 40 goals a season. 

But that is exactly the point. Everyone else turns up when we dont have alfredo. Edgar on H&H says it like morelos is too good the rest of the players almost shut off. I agree, and it's obvious that the rest of the team are working better without. 

9 minutes ago, Geo17 said:

But that is exactly the point. Everyone else turns up when we dont have alfredo. Edgar on H&H says it like morelos is too good the rest of the players almost shut off. I agree, and it's obvious that the rest of the team are working better without. 

We don’t play the same system, so it’s not comparable with a simple Mo or Defoe. 

Give Mo a few games in a narrow front 3 with actual support then we can have a debate which one plays that system better. 

So let’s get this right, drop the best player in the team because he’s too good for the rest of them to bother their arse trying. Can’t believe you actually posted that nonsense. 

5 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

We don’t play the same system, so it’s not comparable with a simple Mo or Defoe. 

Give Mo a few games in a narrow front 3 with actual support then we can have a debate which one plays that system better. 

So let’s get this right, drop the best player in the team because he’s too good for the rest of them to bother their arse trying. Can’t believe you actually posted that nonsense. 

I know we aren't playing the same system but we are definitely playing better just now as a team so we are doing better without him at this moment in time. I'm alfredos biggest fan but it doesnt hide the obvious improvement.

No way can Defoe play 50+ games and other than his goal today he didn't really contribute alot. Great goal and that is what he gets paid to do but Morelos is a nightmare to play against. We are better team with him when he keeps his head.The new formation is the key to our recent success. I was crying all year that we didn't have the players for a 4-3-3 

6 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

This exactly. 

You can't presume after a few good games that we would be better. Make that same question when they play Aberdeen, Hivs,Taigs and that crybaby managers lot from Kilmarnock. 

The difference is we as a team are playing much better recently than we have for a long time.

its just coincidence with Morelos being out and their has been many time Morelos hasn’t played and we have been crap.

if team keeps playing like this I don’t see how we can drop Defoe for Morelos because on current form Defoe shouldn’t be dropped.

only change for sheep game for me would be Kent for candieas 

5 minutes ago, Geo17 said:

I know we aren't playing the same system but we are definitely playing better just now as a team so we are doing better without him at this moment in time. I'm alfredos biggest fan but it doesnt hide the obvious improvement.

They have played better recently I agree...but is it an obvious improvement or are we just jumping the gun here? Time will tell in these final 4. 

7 minutes ago, Geo17 said:

So it’s the system that’s working then. 

What if Mo wasn’t suspended and we hadn’t been forced to change how we play to get Defoe into the game, would we still be hitting a purple patch?? We have played teams that haven’t sat in deep, we always look good against that style of opposition. 

As I said until we play against a tight organised defence I will hold judgement. To say we have looked better because we can’t play our best player so the rest have to up their game is just mental. 

Here is what makes it hard to judge and slightly concerns me.

The last 3 games we have played great, dare i say we also showed glimpses in the old firm.

However the last 3 games have been against teams who come at us and have a go. These games we thrive in and Defoe is allowed to play as a lone striker without doing too much work.

The games that concern me are the ones where teams sit in deep and thats where i think we need Morelos over Defoe. Morelos hits the channels, he drops into midfield and he can do a lot of danger when running at defenders alone. Thats just now Defoe's game.

1 minute ago, Courtyard Bear said:

What if Mo wasn’t suspended and we hadn’t been forced to change how we play to get Defoe into the game, would we still be hitting a purple patch?? We have played teams that haven’t sat in deep, we always look good against that style of opposition. 

As I said until we play against a tight organised defence I will hold judgement. To say we have looked better because we can’t play our best player so the rest have to up their game is just mental. 

You're taking me all wrong. Up until today I would have 100% agreed with you and I still do to a certain extent. All I'm trying to say is that its obvious to me that we have preformed better as a team without him 

4 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

I hope to try the narrow front 3 with morelos to see how it works but we have looked formidable in the last 3 games.