Are we a better team with Defoe rather than Morelos?

AlCapone

Are we better with Defoe?  

251 members have voted

1. 1. Are we better with Defoe

• Yes
    • No
    • The same

Just now, Geo17 said:

You're taking me all wrong. Up until today I would have 100% agreed with you and I still do to a certain extent. All I'm trying to say is that its obvious to me that we have preformed better as a team without him 

I think we are a bit one dimensional with him, not saying that’s the players fault 

1 minute ago, Geo17 said:

You're taking me all wrong. Up until today I would have 100% agreed with you and I still do to a certain extent. All I'm trying to say is that its obvious to me that we have preformed better as a team without him 

We aren’t playing the same system. 

So we are performing better with a narrow front 3, that I can agree on. 

We’re just a better team with no pressure that’s all. 

I like the fact that we’ve been able to adapt to Defoes strengths. Morelos last ban and the guy had one chance over 2 games because the team played like Morelos was up front. 

Defoe is a very good striker though, I’d just love to see us go with two up top. Alfies passing is good enough to link up with Defoe so I hope we can try it 

4 minutes ago, Geo17 said:

Not true. You are wrong. We don't play better. We play different style with a different striker. Doesn't mean we play better. Can't prove Defoe would score as many goals. He could have had more today but never. Morelos may have scored all 3 himself if he had the same link/back up with players. 

5 minutes ago, AlCapone said:

I think we are a bit one dimensional with him, not saying that’s the players fault 

Neither would I. However, the rest of the players have upped their game without him.

4 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

We aren’t playing the same system. 

So we are performing better with a narrow front 3, that I can agree on. 

Exactly. The point I'm trying to get across is that the rest of the team have been working harder without him. I think morelos is our best player but after he got sent off at park head we became the best team. I think it is a psychological block for the rest of the team when we play him. I wish it wasnt and I hope that I'm wrong but I dont see that tbh.

4 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Would try the Narrow 3 with Mo and Defoe. Mo is more than capable of getting across that front line 

I dont disagree. I just think we have looked a lot better and more clinical without him the last 3 games.

53 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

No, you can’t compare the 2 as we have changed the way we play to suit Defoe. 

Play that way with Mo in the team and he scores 40 goals a season. 

To be fair he'd score 40 goals a season playing our usual system if he stayed on the pitch. Put him on the pens and he'd be competing for the golden boot

7 minutes ago, Sweettartangirl said:

Not true. You are wrong. We don't play better. We play different style with a different striker. Doesn't mean we play better. Can't prove Defoe would score as many goals. He could have had more today but never. Morelos may have scored all 3 himself if he had the same link/back up with players. 

That's fair enough and when morelos comes in again do we play the way that we are playing just now or do we revert back to the 433? I'm not saying Defoe is better than morelos for us at this moment in time but I think we've played better in the last 3 games than we have all season. Whether it be the formation or the rest of the players picking up their game, to me I think we have been a better team.

With Defoe there is much more flexibility and fluency in our play. More players involved and more with goal scoring opportunities for others. Defoe is an intelligent player and plays others in. 

As good as Morelos is, we are too one dimensional and over reliant on him and everyone passes on responsibility to him. As we have witnessed the oppo just go all out to close him down by fair or foul means.

Listening to Gerrard, it sounds that he will not be walking back nto the starting line up.. We also need a good transfer kitty so he will be off and the club will keep him wrapped in cotton wool to save injury, so it will be off the sub's bench for him I would say.

1 minute ago, Geo17 said:

That's fair enough and when morelos comes in again do we play the way that we are playing just now or do we revert back to the 433? I'm not saying Defoe is better than morelos for us at this moment in time but I think we've played better in the last 3 games than we have all season. Whether it be the formation or the rest of the players picking up their game, to me I think we have been a better team.

I think Gerrard will know the formation that best suits either striker. 

We will know if we definitely have played better when going against Aberdeen and the other 3 who are dirtier teams. Hearts have their moments, but today wasn't to be one of them. 

4 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

With Defoe there is much more flexibility and fluency in our play. More players involved and more with goal scoring opportunities for others. Defoe is an intelligent player and plays others in. 

As good as Morelos is, we are too one dimensional and over reliant on him and everyone passes on responsibility to him. As we have witnessed the oppo just go all out to close him down by fair or foul means.

Listening to Gerrard, it sounds that he will not be walking back nto the starting line up.. We also need a good transfer kitty so he will be off and the club will keep him wrapped in cotton wool to save injury, so it will be off the sub's bench for him I would say.

13 assists. 

3 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

I don't think he will be kept subbed. Especially against the Taigs. He might start then get subbed half time depending on how he plays/behaves - although I don't want him to entirely behave, but I do want him to be clever when misbehaving IF that makes sense 😉

55 minutes ago, AlCapone said:

I’m not comparing the two, I’m asking are we a better team with Defoe rather than Morelos? Personally I think we are, if we can imagine Defoe had been the main striker all season would we have more points and won a cup? Less suspensions, would that have made us more successful? 

We have a much better balance. We play different and more fluent in passing and have more opportunitinities.

Being a one man team doesn't work as we have witnessed.

Morelos makes us one dimensional as we have found out to our peril, as the oppo just go out their way to stop him.

1 minute ago, Sweettartangirl said:

I don't think he will be kept subbed. Especially against the Taigs. He might start then get subbed half time depending on how he plays/behaves - although I don't want him to entirely behave, but I do want him to be clever when misbehaving IF that makes sense 😉

I get what you are saying, but not according to Gerrard and the club do need to protect their investment. This summer's transfer budget is the most important in the last seven years and I seriously doubt the club will risk their biggest asset. If he gets injured the whole deal turns to shit.

7 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

13 assists. 

Meaningless in the bigger scheme of things. Too many draws. An over dependance on one player has cost us. Not Mo's fault, but al the oppo have to do is shut him down as they do. Important games have not been won, even against dross and you don't win titles with a one man team.

The difference in our play is night and day without him.

Defoe is a far cleverer player and plays for the team and deadly one on one. Mo is not.

13 minutes ago, Gascoigne8 said:

Defoe plays for the team and alfredo plays for himself. 100% not a criticisim more an observation. Morelos is our best player by miles but on an off day the team doesnt function with him in it 

This doesn't make sense then...because quite clearly they can play without Morelos. Even when he has been sent off the players have eventually stepped up because they had to....however if Morelos was given the same oportunity to have more players backing him and to link up with,  he would more than likely have created even more goals. He doesn't play for himself. That is entirely wrong. He has HAD to play mainly by himself as this was the expectation handed to him. Mistakes made and lessons not learned till too late which is probably why Defoe gets the back up he gets

In my own opinion.