Are we a better team with Defoe rather than Morelos?

AlCapone

Are we better with Defoe?  

251 members have voted

1. 1. Are we better with Defoe

• Yes
    • No
    • The same

15 minutes ago, theiconicman said:

What’s this new system we’re playing? Blind to tactics, someone explain it to me.

The wide men aren't so wide and support the striker better. Think Liverpool. 

Morelos could easily play inside right in this narrow 3 in place of Candeias if he stays. That's a goal threat 

We aren't better because it's Defoe over Morelos. We are better because we have narrowed the forward 3. We are now playing a similar system to Liverpool, who you'd think Stevie G would be very familiar with. Should have done so a while ago because our wide men didn't score enough. 

I enjoy going in to a match with the reassurance that were have a very high chance of playing 11 v 11. Definitely don't miss the feeling of will he won't he get a daft red n have us up against it. 

Hopefully cash in on alfredo as quick as, 2 month ago I wouldn't have took a penny under 20 Mil for him now would bite the hand off ye for 10-12mil 

2 hours ago, trueblueal said:

The wide men aren't so wide and support the striker better. Think Liverpool. 

Morelos could easily play inside right in this narrow 3 in place of Candeias if he stays. That's a goal threat 

I always thought Morelos would make an excellent #10 to support Defoe. Morelos strength, link up play and goal threat all would make him an excellent #10, if we played 4-2-3-1, he could play in the middle of the top 3.

12 minutes ago, theiconicman said:

I always thought Morelos would make an excellent #10 to support Defoe. Morelos strength, link up play and goal threat all would make him an excellent #10, if we played 4-2-3-1, he could play in the middle of the top 3.

The team was set up to suit Morelos. He is no link man, He wants to score every game and plays that way accordngly. Nothng wrong with that being our main striker. When he plays, he is the man.

The team is now set up to suit Defoe, which is bringing more players into play and more scoring opportunities for others. Defoe is a more intelligent player and a team player and his finshing is more clinical. Davis is now on song along with Kamara has improved the midfield and a lot more fluency in our play. We didn't have that with all our draws.

Too much was put on Morelos shoulders, but he did want it that way. It's who he is. 

They are very different players.

Could be that Morelos does not get automatically restored to the starting line up after his suspension.   Seems Gerrard is quoted as saying ……."There's a player playing with high confidence, creating chances and scoring goals,"...……..."There's a challenge there now. That's the way Rangers should be, we should have options - especially this area."...…….."I don't pick on reputation and name," Gerrard said.

If the plan is to let him move on in the summer transfer window if a suitable bid comes in then its maybe only now a bit of a cameo 'farewell to the fans' role in the last home game.     As Gerrard says, he's now got a proper challenge going for the striker role.    Pity that could not have happened back in January but that was not to be. 

5 hours ago, born a blue nose said:

Hopefully cash in on alfredo as quick as, 2 month ago I wouldn't have took a penny under 20 Mil for him now would bite the hand off ye for 10-12mil 

Jesus, I hope you aren’t running our club! 😀 I’d beg him to stay if we are only getting 10-12 for him.

On 20/04/2019 at 22:50, Courtyard Bear said:

So it’s the system that’s working then. 

What if Mo wasn’t suspended and we hadn’t been forced to change how we play to get Defoe into the game, would we still be hitting a purple patch?? We have played teams that haven’t sat in deep, we always look good against that style of opposition. 

As I said until we play against a tight organised defence I will hold judgement. To say we have looked better because we can’t play our best player so the rest have to up their game is just mental. 

I wasn't aware Maurice Johnston was still playing for us?...

I think we are playing better as a team because of Arfield playing further forward and a better balance in midfield rather than the striker being used. 

Although Defoe has been good enough that we haven't missed Morelos at all so far, which is a credit to him as when we missed Morelos in the past this season it's been evident.