Jon Flanagan

Lord Lockin

He's a... somewhat... competent defender. In terms of attacking play though he offers absolutely nothing. Actually less than nothing, he has negative impact because the play breaks down when he's required to find a pass that isn't backwards or sideways.

Just thinking out loud here , but I wonder if SG is planning making him our No1 LB next season .

Much in the way SG is now playing Goldson and Katic now that Worrall is no longer in his plans , I'm wondering if this is why Flanigan is getting a run if games over Barisic and Halliday . 

2 minutes ago, gmcf said:

Just thinking out loud here , but I wonder if SG is planning making him our No1 LB next season .

Much in the way SG is now playing Goldson and Katic now that Worrall is no longer in his plans , I'm wondering if this is why Flanigan is getting a run if games over Barisic and Halliday . 

Dunno if it’s that or just that he was given a chance because we had no one else available and he played well so doesn’t deserve to lose his place. 

3 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Needs to learn to get forward and get a ball into the box, taking the Pens will also help. 

Then he can be a shite defender all he wants. 

yeah fucking unreal how blinkered some people can be

The guy is not going to be first pick but his record overall this season is very very good . Minus penalties

2 hours ago, bluenoz said:

Considering LB is not his position, he is doing just fine.

Absolutely disagree with stuff like this. Along with professional players who can only use one foot.

He has played as a FULL back for years (on the right granted) just because you are playing on the opposite side of the pitch doesn't mean you need to learn a new position.

Any full back should be competent playing on either side. How do wingers manage to swap sides during a game???

He provides cover for the fullbacks and is a better defender than many on here make out.  He’s never going to give us the sort of attacking impact Tavernier does but very few full-backs can create 20+ goals a season.  

Hard to believe he was an EPL defender and got an England cap.  Doesn’t seem to be anywhere near that standard.

9 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

If Barisic does not improve have no problems with Flanagan being our LB - only 26 and better than any other available options. 

I think there’s a fair chance Barisic will be away in the summer , honestly don’t think gerrard can be arsed with him 

3 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Good point that actually mate 👍

No nonsense - bit like Flanagan. Flanagan doesn’t have to be concerned Worrall is going to do something crazy and gives him more confidence to play his style.

I do like Worrall btw, but much much prefer Katic. 

12 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

We’re no all 84 years old

flanagan plays like one...😉

Also the fact that two planks in flanagan and phil jones have full England caps never ceases to amaze, probably says more about the judgement of those who deemed them good enough !

5 hours ago, Geo17 said:

I think we can all agree he has done no bad the last two games but we would all rather have halliday in his place and that says it all.

He’s done well , we know he’s not going to create but he won’t let us down defensively and gets fucked right in