Fine margins

AlCapone

Not one league defeat by more than a single goal and top scorers in the division.

”Game management” in a handful of games is the difference.

We’re a new team whereas Lustig, Brown, Forrest, Rogic, McGregor, Sinclair etc have  the experience of closing out games in recent seasons.

We are very close and, deep down, they know it.

48 minutes ago, left winger said:

They could easily come out with plenty of 'what ifs' as well. 

What if that diving cunt hadn't dived against motherwell in the last minute to rescue a point. What if gordon their keeper had been sent off for his kung fu kick to a players chest. What if lego had been sent off for his elbow on naismith yeah they've had plenty of what ifs as well.

Popcorn teeth is a mediocre manager at best and a cunt of a human being but even he cant fuck it up at this late stage. Let's just concentrate on winning our remaining games, delay their party, make them sweat and in doing so achive something that has evaded us all season... consistancy. It will hopefully give our team the confidence required to win our title back next season. 

38 minutes ago, theclothmonster said:

I think the shit show of a game he tried the 3-5-2 out near the start of the season and the reaction to it has made him very reluctant to change it up. Other than that and the odd 4-4-2 game after signing Defoe and Davis it's been the same tactics even when it was clear it wasn't working in lots of matches. 

It isn’t even that much of a change, we all saw what the problem was against teams like Aberdeen they pack the defence keep it organised and we let Mo get detached while we try try try to go down the wings and float it into a big aberdeen defence who lap it up all day or lump it up to Mo with no support who gets thrown around by their defence with nothing said  

Really looking forward to Sunday and hopefully we keep it the same and get the Aberdeen defence turned with quick passing into the channels. 

25 minutes ago, TMB said:

I would argue that he changed things too quickly.  Remember, after the winter break Gerrard did try changing the formation.  He put Defoe and Davis straight in to the team and played a diamond 4-4-2 but we immediately dropped points to Kilmarnock.  Maybe he should've slowly changed things rather than jump in with both feet.  Morelos being suspended for so long has forced a change and this time it's working.  

I wanted a 4-4-2 just to get 2 forwards up top close to each other and with a little bit of luck and no Worrall brain fart it would’ve worked that day. 

The thing with the narrow front 3 is it isn’t that much different from playing with the wide front 3 so it’s easier to change it. I agree I don’t think he would’ve changed it if Mo had been available so maybe that’s a little bit of luck our way and Stevie has  stumbled onto a slightly different way of playing his favoured formation. 

22 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

Not one league defeat by more than a single goal and top scorers in the division.

”Game management” in a handful of games is the difference.

We’re a new team whereas Lustig, Brown, Forrest, Rogic, McGregor, Sinclair etc have  the experience of closing out games in recent seasons.

We are very close and, deep down, they know it.

Getting beat 1-0 or 3-0 is still a defeat if we can’t breakdown teams like aberdeen then you always run the risk of the set piece goal or a break away. 

16 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

Popcorn teeth is a mediocre manager at best and a cunt of a human being but even he cant fuck it up at this late stage. Let's just concentrate on winning our remaining games, delay their party, make them sweat and in doing so achive something that has evaded us all season... consistancy. It will hopefully give our team the confidence required to win our title back next season. 

Hopefully they give him the job full time. 

2 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

It isn’t even that much of a change, we all saw what the problem was against teams like Aberdeen they pack the defence keep it organised and we let Mo get detached while we try try try to go down the wings and float it into a big aberdeen defence who lap it up all day or lump it up to Mo with no support who gets thrown around by their defence with nothing said  

Really looking forward to Sunday and hopefully we keep it the same and get the Aberdeen defence turned with quick passing into the channels. 

This team going down the wings all the time says more about our lack of a creative central midfielder.  This was really evident during the first half of the season.  Arfield is the only central midfielder we have who consistently creates and scores goals.  Without Arfield we often look like a team playing three CDMs.  A number 10 of real quality would make a hell of a difference to this team.

2 minutes ago, TMB said:

I would argue that he changed things too quickly.  Remember, after the winter break Gerrard did try changing the formation.  He put Defoe and Davis straight in to the team and played a diamond 4-4-2 but we immediately dropped points to Kilmarnock.  Maybe he should've slowly changed things rather than jump in with both feet.  Morelos being suspended for so long has forced a change and thankfully it's working.  

I would argue that Defoe and Davis were brought in specifically to change the formation and is why they were thrown straight in, it was obvious that the 4-3-3 wasn't working against teams that sit in. He's tried twice to change the formation away from the 4-3-3, going with two up front and both times the result has been poor. Both times the players didn't look like they understood what they were supposed to be doing. I think alongside the 4/5 quality players we need in the summer, we need someone in the dugout with him who can guide him on how to affect games structurally. 

1 minute ago, TMB said:

This team going down the wings all the time says more about our lack of a creative central midfielder.  This was really evident during the first half of the season.  Arfield is the only central midfielder we have who consistently creates and scores goals.  Without Arfield we often look like a team playing three CDMs.  A number 10 of real quality would make a hell of a difference to this team.

Arfield can do the job of a No10 and the midfield looks more balanced with Davis sitting and Jack & Kamara pressing. 

20 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

This season has been a huge learning curve for Gerrard .We have all criticised him throughout the season like early like when he threw Wallace on at a late corner and we conceded a late goal .It looks like he has learned and through adversity recently he has learned a system to play without Morelos that can win games .

Next year im convinced he has learned enough to get enough out of the squad availible to him to get us winning the trophies we all want again 

11 hours ago, theclothmonster said:

I would argue that Defoe and Davis were brought in specifically to change the formation and is why they were thrown straight in, it was obvious that the 4-3-3 wasn't working against teams that sit in. He's tried twice to change the formation away from the 4-3-3, going with two up front and both times the result has been poor. Both times the players didn't look like they understood what they were supposed to be doing. I think alongside the 4/5 quality players we need in the summer, we need someone in the dugout with him who can guide him on how to affect games structurally. 

I don't think Davis and Defoe were getting regular game time before coming here.  Davis has been here for months and only now looks to be getting to match fit.  Gerrard could've at least integrated them slowly.  We had just beaten celtic and were on a high and players were dropped to accommodate those two which must've been a kick in teeth too.

9 hours ago, JM1872 said:

We've fucked it for ourselves. No ifs or buts.

The team that wins the league , wins the league on their own merits

Some amount of pish being spouted about how we should have won it cause we are better . Honest to fuck .

Take the medicine man .Our domestic record is a disgrace this season . No matter how long it takes the scum to get the league

8 hours ago, LegendofCoop said:

It's annoying as fuck, as they've been poor this term. We've been margainly poorer. If only we'd beaten Hibs once, and not drawn against Motherwell in that 3-3 game, I'd actually have us down as favourites to win it right now. 

We have been massively poorer mate . Who are we kidding

9 hours ago, SPWF said:

We’ve lost the league this season, they haven’t won it. Last minute goals to Aberdeen, Motherwell and Kilmarnock have fucked us. And that’s no even considering the two OF we’ve lost and the fact we haven’t beat Hibs yet. 

Mental

They're shite, but to say they haven't won the league is a bit pathetic. They've shown a level of consistency above us and have been able to win games in the last couple of mins - which we haven't been able to do. We could have won the league this year, but our mentality isn't strong enough and our quality is suspect. We're shite, but they're slightly better and that's why they're winning the league.

We need quality now and to get into the habit of winning and grinding out results when things aren't going our way. When we're on top we seem to be really on top, when we're not we lose our discipline and implode.

8 hours ago, magic8ball said:

This season has been a huge learning curve for Gerrard .We have all criticised him throughout the season like early like when he threw Wallace on at a late corner and we conceded a late goal .It looks like he has learned and through adversity recently he has learned a system to play without Morelos that can win games .

Next year im convinced he has learned enough to get enough out of the squad availible to him to get us winning the trophies we all want again 

If he had changed the system without having to because of Mo then I would be a touch more confident. 

I love the man but he’s not convinced me totally that he can get the job done. 

10 hours ago, AlCapone said:

Yeah I know if yer aunty had baws....

but if we had of won the last c*ltic game we would have been 3 off the pace and by winning our last 4 league games it probably would have been 55.

the point is we are not miles behind and with some shrewd signings this close season we can deliver.

oh and it’s not over till the fat lady sings the season,  no surrender 

Agreed, I still have hope for the helicopter changing direction but if we're debating ifs in this thread, then I'd say bad decisions by refs have cost us 10+ points and silverware.

I believe we need to still aim for 2nd to have any claim on titles, that will be taken off them, when they are exposed for cheating.

10 hours ago, SPWF said:

We’ve lost the league this season, they haven’t won it. Last minute goals to Aberdeen, Motherwell and Kilmarnock have fucked us. And that’s no even considering the two OF we’ve lost and the fact we haven’t beat Hibs yet. 

Losing to a 10 man Aberdeen at home and drawing with a 10 man Dundee away are the 2 results that piss me off most. 

It is all ifs, buts and maybes - but it has been fine margins. 

Few last minute goals either way, or a couple or refereeing decisions switching and it’s a totally different league picture. 

Even if Tav doesn’t make a cunt of it at the end against the filth it’s still a title battle.