When will the 2 hour barrier in the marathon be broken?

On 29/04/2019 at 21:22, left winger said:

Within the next couple of years, and it’ll be Kipchoge. He just needs one or two more runners to be able to step up to his current world record time. That’ll give him the competition to take his time to under 2 hours.

Kipchoge is 34. I can’t imagine he’s going to knock another 2 minutes off of his PB/WR.

23 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

Kipchoge is 34. I can’t imagine he’s going to knock another 2 minutes off of his PB/WR.

Doesn’t quite need to be 2 mins, but he’s still got a couple of years to do it - 34 isn’t that old. An attempt later this year on the half record, to work more on speed, then a bit more competition. 

On 03/05/2019 at 19:04, Creampuff said:

That wasn’t a proper marathon though.

He’s giving it another go in October - the Ineos 1.59 Challenge. 

Wonder if he’s accepting he won’t get it done in a normal race, and will just take the time - got the WR, anyway.

He’s also looking to win all the World Major Marathons - three t go, I think.

https://www.athleticsweekly.com/news/eliud-kipchoge-targets-sub-two-hour-marathon-in-ineos-159-challenge-1039922434/

Just now, LV said:

Can you explain why it wasn't a proper marathon. 

It wasn't a race. Everything was geared towards him doing sub 2. He had pacemakers, people running around to reduce air resistance etc.

Just now, TheKingObv said:

It wasn't a race. Everything was geared towards him doing sub 2. He had pacemakers, people running around to reduce air resistance etc.

Well when the sub 4 min mile was run Bannister had pacemakers etc don't see the difference. 

40 minutes ago, LV said:

Well when the sub 4 min mile was run Bannister had pacemakers etc don't see the difference. 

There’s a distinction to be made between running a mile within a timescale, and running a marathon within a timescale. 

The issue with the last 2-hour marathon attempt is that it was on a track, with no other competitors, with pacemakers, with drinks etc available on scooters to prevent the need to stop/slow down etc etc. 

It was completely artificial and not at all the same as running a marathon. I would concede that it does ‘count’ as running a little over 26 miles in a little over 2 hours.

2 hours ago, Creampuff said:

There’s a distinction to be made between running a mile within a timescale, and running a marathon within a timescale. 

The issue with the last 2-hour marathon attempt is that it was on a track, with no other competitors, with pacemakers, with drinks etc available on scooters to prevent the need to stop/slow down etc etc. 

It was completely artificial and not at all the same as running a marathon. I would concede that it does ‘count’ as running a little over 26 miles in a little over 2 hours.

Wasn't on a track tbf

2 hours ago, LV said:

So for a record to stand it would need to be a road race, static drink stations would they allow pace makers. 

I believe there’s never an issue with pacemakers provided that they start the race. 

In special events designed to break the record generally there’s a pacemaker who takes over fresh from the previous pacemaker.

• 5 months later...

Archived