Transfers explanation..of a sort.

backup

Mark Allen explains Rangers' transfer policy and Steven Gerrard's input on signings

The Ibrox director says it's an "open environment" when it comes to discussions over potential new players.

19:47, 15 MAY 2019

UPDATED19:58, 15 MAY 2019

SPORT

Rangers director of football Mark Allen has explained how much of a say Steven Gerrard has on transfers at Ibrox.

Many clubs now have a director of football alongside a head coach or manager who is responsible for signing players.

After a big overhaul last summer there were questions over who had the final say on signings at Ibrox, but the director has revealed it's a bit of both at Rangers .

Allen told Rangers TV: "I think the most important thing for me is there’s no single point of decision.

“Just to qualify that: I don’t mean it’s a committee, what I mean is we bounce off each other.

“There are a number of targets who are identified by the scouting department, those targets are evaluated against what we believe we need and ultimately a list is produced.

“Those lists are discussed at length - looking at clips, going to watch the players, finding out as much as we can about their background.

“Then we’ll sit down with a very small group and plot through the priorities and almost rank the players in terms of first preference, second preference et cetera, because you’re never convinced you’re going to get a potential target over the line.

“Then ultimately myself and Steven will land on a point, and I’ll say this candidly - I will not sign a player Steven doesn’t think he’s going to play in his first team.

“We have a very open environment where obviously when you’re talking about signings you’re talking in terms of wages, transfer fees et cetera.

“So an open and honest policy has to exist where we’ll all comment on what we think are the pros and cons of any particular target.

“So it’s invaluable, the physical input from Jordan Milsom, the coaching aspects from Tom Culshaw and Mick Beale, and Gary Mac is obviously vastly experienced in terms of players and playing at certain levels and being able to cope with the environment.

“Those are all factors in terms of looking at it for myself and Steven, and obviously Andy Scoulding plays a big part in that as the head of scouting.”

Rangers have already signed up Steven Davis, Jordan Jones and Jake Hastie for next season, as Allen tries to get a squad in place early on.

He added: "Everyone’s aware when the transfer window opens and closes so the only business you can conclude before are players who can join you who are out of contract or on Bosmans.

“So I would look at that as the low-hanging fruit, our job is to make sure that not only our squad is strong and capable of mounting the challenge that we want to make, but ultimately this about adding some quality to the existing quality we’ve got.

“Like in any season there’ll be players who come in and players who go, but the reality is the transfer window isn’t open officially yet, so other than the Bosmans there’s nothing we can do that this moment in time.

“I don’t think it’s a secret to say we’re looking at somebody in that attacking midfield area who can bring us a little bit of joy toward the top end of the pitch.

“There’s no secret about the fact that Joe Worrall will go back and return to Nottingham Forest so obviously there’s a focus on making sure we’re robust enough there.

“Generally we’re looking at where we can strengthen, bearing in mind the number of games we hope to play next season.”

In Vienna I tried to get him to sit at our table to discuss the transfer strategy and give our input for future signings.

Needless to say he never took me up on it (think he actually gave me a strange look :lol:) but it looks like he maybe thought it over and put it into practice. So, I'm taking the credit for it :UK:

2 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

If you go on RTV you can see his whole interview in full where he talks about how they decide on what players to approach. 

Kind of blows out the water the folk that got their knickers in a twist about a DoF buying players with the manager not knowing anything about it. 

Believe what you want :innocent:

RW and #10 for big quality signings.

Quality LB if we don't think Barisic is up to it.

Equally quality replacements for any big losses (Morelos, Kent, Tavernier)

CB cover

3 quality signings and a cover CB as a starting point is pretty fair to expect I think. Stop with the Jones/Hastie/Stewart type signings now. If we sign Stewart I'm going to be raging. We have the depth, we need the quality now. The biggest worry will be if Morelos is sold and Kent goes back we're going to have a totally new and untested front 3 going into the new season. That will make and break the whole season so getting that right if the most important thing we will do all year. 

Excited about the direction the squad is going in after reading that. Away from the bosmans, I’m looking forward to seeing who we bring in over the summer. I fully trust Mr Gerrard, Mark Allen and the coaching staff to get the most out of the playing appointments we make. I didn’t have that same confidence with Warburton, Caixinha (everytime I think about him, the more bizarre his appointment seems) or Murty at the helm. The future’s bright...the future’s red, white, blue and orange.

45 minutes ago, Broxi said:

RW and #10 for big quality signings.

Quality LB if we don't think Barisic is up to it.

Equally quality replacements for any big losses (Morelos, Kent, Tavernier)

CB cover

3 quality signings and a cover CB as a starting point is pretty fair to expect I think. Stop with the Jones/Hastie/Stewart type signings now. If we sign Stewart I'm going to be raging. We have the depth, we need the quality now. The biggest worry will be if Morelos is sold and Kent goes back we're going to have a totally new and untested front 3 going into the new season. That will make and break the whole season so getting that right if the most important thing we will do all year. 

That’s a shedload of money I don’t think we have even with the sale of Mo. 

3 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

That’s a shedload of money I don’t think we have even with the sale of Mo. 

They don't have to be £5m each. And I do anticipate we will have Morelos money to do it with but even if we don't we will just have to spend wisely. Even if they frees or loans, the price doesn't matter, as long as they are good enough to improve us or replace departing players. 

If that method keeps giving us wee gems like Kamara then long may it continue - no one ever gets every signing right but we are getting there.

I'm looking forward to seeing who they bring in - fist season for a while it will be squad strengthening not squad rebuilding.

26 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

If that method keeps giving us wee gems like Kamara then long may it continue - no one ever gets every signing right but we are getting there.

I'm looking forward to seeing who they bring in - fist season for a while it will be squad strengthening not squad rebuilding.

you are wrong

19 minutes ago, TamCoopz said:

you are wrong

Cool - and if you could elaborate on why you think I am wrong?

Or is it just a generic 'you support SNP you must be wrong type comment' in which case you missed out some attached personal abuse with your reply? 

1 hour ago, Broxi said:

They don't have to be £5m each. And I do anticipate we will have Morelos money to do it with but even if we don't we will just have to spend wisely. Even if they frees or loans, the price doesn't matter, as long as they are good enough to improve us or replace departing players. 

Well the 4/5 real quality that Mark Allen and Stevie are talking about is the transfer budget for me anything, else will be out of contracts or loans  

But we are losing Kent & Mo so that’s 2 real quality we need to replace just to stand still, and we can’t cross our fingers on a cheap Mo replacement working so we have to spend big on that  

We will need a good slice of luck to find either loans that blow our socks off or cheap players that play above themself for a season. It’s not just so rosy as some are making out this summer.