Odds on Alf staying ?

backup

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Would love him to stay mate, but I think it’s better for him to move on. 

The game hadn’t even started on Sunday and the gimps on the commentary were talking about WHEN Morelos explodes, it’s beyond a joke now. 

I agree it is going to cost us a large chunk of the transfer fee to replace him and probably the rest of it to pay the replacement. Baffles me that folk think you can go out and find another Mo as if they are just sitting on the shelf. 

I seriously think he’s going to screw the nut. If he has ambitions to play at the very top he’s going to have to work on his discipline. All the top players left their football do the talking 

That will have been spelled out to him by his family and coaches. 

He’s our best chance at winning the league next year we can’t afford to let him go in more ways than one. 

3 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

I seriously think he’s going to screw the nut. If he has ambitions to play at the very top he’s going to have to work on his discipline. All the top players left their football do the talking 

He’s our best chance at winning the league next year we can’t afford to let him go in more ways than one. 

After umpteen cards/ suspensions/ games missed / warnings/ club reprimands he still couldn't help but to react to the crowd (got booked) and then the ref (Collum is just the sort to book him for that reaction.). As ridiculous a 2nd booking would have been, it honestly wouldnt have surprised me. So even after all that's been said he still has it in his natural instinct to react / retaliate. 

For me it's a question of whether its worth sticking with him knowing he cant change. Because I reckon he'll get it even tighter next season from refs and opponent players/ managers alike I'd say no if we can get the big fee. What's absolutely certain is that he himself won't change.

18 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

After umpteen cards/ suspensions/ games missed / warnings/ club reprimands he still couldn't help but to react to the crowd (got booked) and then the ref (Collum is just the sort to book him for that reaction.). As ridiculous a 2nd booking would have been, it honestly wouldnt have surprised me. So even after all that's been said he still has it in his natural instinct to react / retaliate. 

For me it's a question of whether its worth sticking with him knowing he cant change. Because I reckon he'll get it even tighter next season from refs and opponent players/ managers alike I'd say no if we can get the big fee. What's absolutely certain is that he himself won't change.

Written off at 22yrs old

Just now, KeyserSoze said:

Written off at 22yrs old

Well that's a daft reply.

Not written off at all. He reacts to how he's treated in the game here, I dont see that changing only worsening as he's public enemy number one. Far from all his fault as he's targeted like no other.

But from what I saw on Sunday after everything that's been said and done, he's just not going to shake that off.  We all saw the reactions, we all know the background to what should have been a performance completely void of any provocation or reaction. What basis is there that makes you think he or the situation will improve?

1 hour ago, KeyserSoze said:

Needs movement from both sides, Mo has to get wiser which even then will be impossible. Can you imagine the outcry if at the next game against them he let’s Lego jog past then clips his heels. That would be playing them at there own game but he wouldn’t be allowed to do that. 

The Refs have to protect him more, when they go to talk to Mo about keeping it calm and just playing football then they should also be talking to the other side as well. I also don’t think he can play any other way than with that rage/drive/hunger call it what you will in him, I agree he needs to channel it more and keep it focused on the football. 

Our best chance of winning of the league is the very reason he’s getting hounded from pillar to post, it’s saddening that so many of our support are falling for it, because even with a 10 mill striker there is no guarantee that he will hit the ground running or fancy the shit that he will get just like Mo.

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

So they win then and our best player is hounded out and our chance of winning 55 takes a dip. 

There needs to be common ground found between Mo and the Refs, Mo will calm down and the Refs keep the animals from all the off the ball shite. 

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Well that's a daft reply.

Not written off at all. He reacts to how he's treated in the game here, I dont see that changing only worsening as he's public enemy number one. Far from all his fault as he's targeted like no other.

But from what I saw on Sunday after everything that's been said and done, he's just not going to shake that off.  We all saw the reactions, we all know the background to what should have been a performance completely void of any provocation or reaction. What basis is there that makes you think he or the situation will improve?

I think he has some time to reflect now on how he behaves, he is desperate to play for his national side and MUST know he has to change - he also must recognise it's a two-way street and if he gives a ref an inch they will take it. I think our Gaffers strongest attribute is man management I have a feeling he will be making Alfie a priority and as he develops from a raw rough talent to a more rounded individual - we will see the best of him.

Just my thoughts, but he is here to learn this trade. It's up to him though, because does he want to be the best he can be or does his "big" move just mean money? because I don't think any of the top half of the EPL will touch him. He will only realise what a massive club we are when he leaves for some shitty average EPL team who have zero chance of Europe or winning anything. 

I'm really torn on this. He is clearly the best striker in the league, of that there is no doubt. My opinion on keeping him has wavered a bit of late though. His indiscipline undoubtedly cost us points this season. Some of that has been justified but my worry is he will continue to be unfairly targeted - again a yellow card against Killie for doing absolutely nothing. Allowing him to go because of others is defeatist to be fair but unless the attitude of the SFA etc changes then we run the risk of our best forward continuing to miss key games and costing us points. That is of course exactly what celtic and other teams want. 

The flip side to it is that since he has been out the team, I felt we played some of our best football of the season. That said, the league was already lost and the pressure off so was our form because Morelos was out and we changed our shape or just that we played more freely with the pressure off? Also, as top a finisher as Defoe is, he is not our player and I don't like the idea of going into the season with someone his age shoring up our attack. Can we rely on Hardie, Dodoo, Atakayi - it would seem that if Morelos goes we will need to invest in that area. 

Of course, his stock seems to be high and the media are whipping it up as usual but there doesn't seem to be clubs battering the door down to sign him. Clearly the guy has ambitions to play in a bigger league and I won't hold that against him - the only thing we mustn't do is sell him on the cheap or late in the window without the chance to replace him.  

31 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

So they win then and our best player is hounded out and our chance of winning 55 takes a dip. 

There needs to be common ground found between Mo and the Refs, Mo will calm down and the Refs keep the animals from all the off the ball shite. 

Its not about them winning imo. It's about us winning if the big bid is there and we spend it well.

I've already said he's not fully at fault but for me Sunday demonstrated perfectly his instinctive nature to react.  He's been slated by the manager. Likely fined big time. Suspended and missed out key games. Apparently lost his Copa America chances due to discipline. Had to watch team play well without him.

EVERYTHING that had gone on should have simplified one thing for him: behave at all costs.

And yet instead of delight at scoring, no issue caused all game towards him by the ref his instinct was to react. Deservedly booked. Then the one ref you dont want to mockingly applaud having just been booked is Collum, a stickler for saving face. Imo he was lucky not to get a 2nd yellow, not that it was really deserved, but because that's the way it is here when teachers become refs.

So I really dont think he'll change. Nor do j think refs will. And I think opponents and managers will target and provoke him more.

So on that basis, do we accept more of the same, hopefully a good goals return but potentially a worse disciplinary problem? When consistency and discipline is what's needed as much as anything.

And how is common ground even found when they'll reckon he is solely at fault not them. Its make believe to suggest they'll change to accommodate him tbh mate. Nothing suggests he'll change. Nothing.

3 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

I think he has some time to reflect now on how he behaves, he is desperate to play for his national side and MUST know he has to change - he also must recognise it's a two-way street and if he gives a ref an inch they will take it. I think our Gaffers strongest attribute is man management I have a feeling he will be making Alfie a priority and as he develops from a raw rough talent to a more rounded individual - we will see the best of him.

Just my thoughts, but he is here to learn this trade. It's up to him though, because does he want to be the best he can be or does his "big" move just mean money? because I don't think any of the top half of the EPL will touch him. He will only realise what a massive club we are when he leaves for some shitty average EPL team who have zero chance of Europe or winning anything. 

He had that time to reflect before Sunday. He reacted twice.

7 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Its not about them winning imo. It's about us winning if the big bid is there and we spend it well.

I've already said he's not fully at fault but for me Sunday demonstrated perfectly his instinctive nature to react.  He's been slated by the manager. Likely fined big time. Suspended and missed out key games. Apparently lost his Copa America chances due to discipline. Had to watch team play well without him.

EVERYTHING that had gone on should have simplified one thing for him: behave at all costs.

And yet instead of delight at scoring, no issue caused all game towards hom by the ref his instinct was to react. Deservedly booked. Then the one ref you dont want to mockingly applaud having just been booked is Collum, a stickler for saving face. Imo he was lucky not to get a 2nd yellow, not that it was really deserved, but because that's the way it is here when teachers become refs.

So I really dont think he'll change. Nor do j think refs will. And I think opponents and managers will target and provoke him more.

So on that basis, do we accept more of the same, hopefully a good goals return but potentially a worse disciplinary problem? When consistency and discipline is what's needed as much as anything.

And how is common ground even found when they'll reckon he is solely at fault not them. Its make believe to suggest they'll change to accommodate him tbh mate. Nothing suggests he'll change. Nothing.

What happens when we spend that money, bring in a hot young striker that hits the ground running and suddenly it’s Groundhog Day. 

They same animals keep up with the shite the Refs don’t protect him he reacts and suddenly the media campaign begins again. All this will happen if we look even close to 55. 

Eventually the club have to draw a line and protect our players from the one sided Refs. 

I wouldn’t have clapped Coloum I would’ve laughed in his face for the stupid wee cunt he is. 

So in a nutshell you want a striker that’s a pussy will allow himself to get kicked all over the pitch just as long as he doesn’t react, because the Refs aren’t fair and he will be punished more. Have you not got this whole problem arse from elbow. 

4 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

What happens when we spend that money, bring in a hot young striker that hits the ground running and suddenly it’s Groundhog Day. 

They same animals keep up with the shite the Refs don’t protect him he reacts and suddenly the media campaign begins again. All this will happen if we look even close to 55. 

Eventually the club have to draw a line and protect our players from the one sided Refs. 

I wouldn’t have clapped Coloum I would’ve laughed in his face for the stupid wee cunt he is. 

So in a nutshell you want a striker that’s a pussy will allow himself to get kicked all over the pitch just as long as he doesn’t react, because the Refs aren’t fair and he will be punished more. Have you not got this whole problem arse from elbow. 

Assuming the replacement has the maturity and temperament of an adult there's no reason why it would be groundhog day

14 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

EPL doesn’t need Europe for exposure and realistically only the usual suspects from around the big 5 leagues are ever going to win anything  in Europe or their own league  

Any player in the EPL has a worldwide audience of Billions and all the exposure they need, oh and multi million pound contracts. 

3 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Not every player has his temperament though, that's why he's being targeted. Morelos with his goals and a managed temperament would be incredible, I just don't think in Scotland he's going to be able to change. So for me it's a decision between accepting it as is or trying to work it in our favour. I genuinely dont see keeping him and his goals and an improved discipline as a credible likelihood. Sunday really demonstrated that imo.

You're talk about drawing the line, but its Rangers you're talking about. We have no clout, no real appetite to take the issue forward, and the twice we have spoken out our manager has backed down and club been fined and shat it. The refs and authorities wont change.

Just now, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Not every player has his temperament though, that's why he's being targeted. Morelos with his goals and a managed temperament would be incredible, I just don't think in Scotland he's going to be able to change. So for me it's a decision between accepting it as is or trying to work it in our favour. I genuinely dont see keeping him and his goals and an improved discipline as a credible likelihood. Sunday really demonstrated that imo.

You're talk about drawing the line, but its Rangers you're talking about. We have no clout, no real appetite to take the issue forward, and the twice we have spoken out our manager has backed down and club been fined and shat it. The refs and authorities wont change.

No professional player subjected to what Mo has to put up with won’t react eventually. Mo didn’t react straight away either but eventually the constant off the ball shite wears them down no protection from the Refs, and when they decide to look after themselves the Ref suddenly notices it and books you. 

Defoe plays 30+ games next season watch what happens when he gets it every game, watch the diver accusation get trotted out, watch stonewall penalties suddenly become dives and yellow cards (that remind you of anyone). 

Jack got it first, Mo got it next, so who is next ???? Anyone see a pattern forming here. 

Just now, Jeffrey said:

Obviously not but there aren't many players as immature and with the temperament Morelos has.

22 and Immature kind of goes hand in hand, gets pelters from all sides including his so called own and reacts

Well I never, and we wonder why our young players never make the breakthrough. 

1 minute ago, Courtyard Bear said:

22 and Immature kind of goes hand in hand, gets pelters from all sides including his so called own and reacts

Well I never, and we wonder why our young players never make the breakthrough. 

The grief Middleton for example was getting is a reason why we don't bring anyone through, not the valid criticism a guy who continually disrespects the club gets.

1 minute ago, Jeffrey said:

The grief Middleton for example was getting is a reason why we don't bring anyone through, not the valid criticism a guy who continually disrespects the club gets.

Middleton has had the same grief Mo has had?? 

Mind you Middleton did get the Ibrox grumble and the one trick pony. 

Disrespects the club 😂😂 

7 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

No professional player subjected to what Mo has to put up with won’t react eventually. Mo didn’t react straight away either but eventually the constant off the ball shite wears them down no protection from the Refs, and when they decide to look after themselves the Ref suddenly notices it and books you. 

Defoe plays 30+ games next season watch what happens when he gets it every game, watch the diver accusation get trotted out, watch stonewall penalties suddenly become dives and yellow cards (that remind you of anyone). 

Jack got it first, Mo got it next, so who is next ???? Anyone see a pattern forming here. 

You and I cant change it. The Board dont seem to have the appetite to. Morelos seems incapable of it too. Refs certainly wont offer to.

If you're looking for someone to disagree with you about it being shite and corrupt then I'm not your man, it is.

But unless Morelos changes (no indication he can) then are you happy to take the chance of keeping him and relying on him to behave when he's targeted worse next season?  Seems you are, I'm not and I'd prefer to capitalise on high value if a big bid is there.