Jamie Murphy

Del

1 hour ago, rabc10000 said:

Almost like an SS, somewhere between and out and out winger and a cf but not a free role to an extent. Similar to the way arfield has been deployed recently

Exactly mate, he’s wasted stuck out on the wing. Give him the freedom to get in around the striker, switch sides of the front 3. 

We may have a right good player there. 

3 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

He wasn't great at the end of last season out wide but got put through the middle during a couple of games and looked better

Yeah he didn't look great in a team of superstars l😉

But all joking aside I think it would be unfair to judge him on the latter half of last season given the way we were back then 

I thought he looked decent enough when he played, but like others he played with dross at the start and IMHO they were holding players back. Arfield and Tav are 2 examples, at the start I didn't rate either that high but this season they have been amazing, you can toss Kent in there also.

9 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

I don’t care what stats you put up. 

He is not a winger and that’s where we played him. Strangely enough he looked at his best when he came inside closer to the main striker. He’s wasted being played wide  

So you just make a statement, that is subsequently proven to be incorrect/misguided, but you dont care...

The fact is, hes a 29/30yr old football player who has played over 95% of his games as either a LM or LW, pretty concrete confirmation that he is a winger/wide forward.

I dont think its strange at all that hes looked at his best closer to the striker, hes a right footed wide player than plays on the left (think modern day inside forward role) that should see him cut inside, drive at goal and get some shots away. I would also argue that he is pretty good at it and its probably why his previous 4/5 managers have all played him in that position/role.

6 hours ago, Del said:

So you just make a statement, that is subsequently proven to be incorrect/misguided, but you dont care...

The fact is, hes a 29/30yr old football player who has played over 95% of his games as either a LM or LW, pretty concrete confirmation that he is a winger/wide forward.

I dont think its strange at all that hes looked at his best closer to the striker, hes a right footed wide player than plays on the left (think modern day inside forward role) that should see him cut inside, drive at goal and get some shots away. I would also argue that he is pretty good at it and its probably why his previous 4/5 managers have all played him in that position/role.

Proven to be incorrect, where did I say Murphy hasn’t played out wide his whole career. 

You have watched Murphy play for us?? He is wasted out wide it’s that simple, he has played far better when he gets in off the wing and can get in around their CB’s. 

So you can post stat after stat all you want and tell me what do I know when all other managers have played there. Are managers never wrong ??

Do never think that maybe he can’t play as an out and out wide player anymore?? No that hasn’t even crossed your mind has it. All those managers have played him wide so he’s a wide player nothing else. That’s a pretty blinkered view on how to get the best out of a player. 

3 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Proven to be incorrect, where did I say Murphy hasn’t played out wide his whole career. 

You have watched Murphy play for us?? He is wasted out wide it’s that simple, he has played far better when he gets in off the wing and can get in around their CB’s. 

So you can post stat after stat all you want and tell me what do I know when all other managers have played there. Are managers never wrong ??

Do never think that maybe he can’t play as an out and out wide player anymore?? No that hasn’t even crossed your mind has it. All those managers have played him wide so he’s a wide player nothing else. That’s a pretty blinkered view on how to get the best out of a player. 

You said hes not a wide player...when that is all he has ever been!

You also say that he is better when he gets in off the wing, but that is how he has played his entire career, a right footed left winger who comes inside ie an inside forward.

Its like people say about Tav, he is so good going forward that he should be playing at RM/RW, but its being at RB and driving into the space that he is so good at, its the same for Murphy. I actually think he would be really good in the same role that Kent has been playing with Arfield and then Morelos/Defoe upfront but he would always be LM/LW. 

The manager thing is a bit silly, 1 manager might be wrong, 2 managers might be wrong, 3 managers might even be wrong but since 2009 JM has played under 8 managers and ALL of them have played him in that role, and you're right it hasnt crossed my mind that he cant play as an out and out wide player any more because in my opinion he was doing it really well before he got injured. 

5 minutes ago, Del said:

You said hes not a wide player...when that is all he has ever been!

You also say that he is better when he gets in off the wing, but that is how he has played his entire career, a right footed left winger who comes inside ie an inside forward.

Its like people say about Tav, he is so good going forward that he should be playing at RM/RW, but its being at RB and driving into the space that he is so good at, its the same for Murphy. I actually think he would be really good in the same role that Kent has been playing with Arfield and then Morelos/Defoe upfront but he would always be LM/LW. 

The manager thing is a bit silly, 1 manager might be wrong, 2 managers might be wrong, 3 managers might even be wrong but since 2009 JM has played under 8 managers and ALL of them have played him in that role, and you're right it hasnt crossed my mind that he cant play as an out and out wide player any more because in my opinion he was doing it really well before he got injured. 

Blinkered. 

You want to play Murphy wide be my guest he will fail. We have better and will bring in better. 

You want to take the blinkers off and actually look at players see when their time is up at a certain position and think he’s still got the talent but he’s lost that yard of pace. Maybe the hunger has gone a bit, he’s coming back from a terrible injury  

Where could we get the best out of him?? 

What was he doing at Brighton?? Look at his career it was steadily going downhill, just maybe you could look at reasons for that and think he needs a change to get going again, has he lost a bit of pace does he need a new challenge. Let’s see if a little change of position can get him going move him inside off the wing in a narrow front 3 let him run the channels where his quick feet and great first touch are more important than pace. 

Or we could do it your way and just leave him out wide because that’s were he’s always played and let his career just wind down as he goes into his 30’s  

7 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Blinkered. 

You want to play Murphy wide be my guest he will fail. We have better and will bring in better. 

You want to take the blinkers off and actually look at players see when their time is up at a certain position and think he’s still got the talent but he’s lost that yard of pace. Maybe the hunger has gone a bit, he’s coming back from a terrible injury  

Where could we get the best out of him?? 

What was he doing at Brighton?? Look at his career it was steadily going downhill, just maybe you could look at reasons for that and think he needs a change to get going again, has he lost a bit of pace does he need a new challenge. Let’s see if a little change of position can get him going move him inside off the wing in a narrow front 3 let him run the channels where his quick feet and great first touch are more important than pace. 

Or we could do it your way and just leave him out wide because that’s were he’s always played and let his career just wind down as he goes into his 30’s  

I'm sure your account must be a parody mate...who do we have that is better than him in that role? Who will we bring in that is better, Jordan Jones? 

His time is up in that position despite him being the first choice in that position role prior to his injury? 

AS for Brighton,  he played 35 games in their promotion season and then  spent £15m on a player in his position, who was brilliant for them. I dont know how that can be used to critisize him or is evidence that he was "steadily going downhill" and their manager even said at the time they were reluctant to let him go but didnt want to stand in his way of playing for the team he supports...hardly a declining player being shipped out! 

You've said a few times about his lack of pace, or dwindling pace, or about the end of his career...hes not even 30 yet FFS!  Hes a year older than Greg Stewart who we are strongly linked with and a year younger than Candeias, hardly someone who is nearly at the end of this career.

The thing is, the narrow 3 your talking about is very similar to the LW position he has been playing...noone is expecting him to play left mid on the half way line running at people, he has always played further forward!

Anyway, it would appear that the suggestion of changing his position/role as a 30yr old with his "career winding down" is quite rightly not a very popular one.

43 minutes ago, Del said:

I'm sure your account must be a parody mate...who do we have that is better than him in that role? Who will we bring in that is better, Jordan Jones? 

His time is up in that position despite him being the first choice in that position role prior to his injury? 

AS for Brighton,  he played 35 games in their promotion season and then  spent £15m on a player in his position, who was brilliant for them. I dont know how that can be used to critisize him or is evidence that he was "steadily going downhill" and their manager even said at the time they were reluctant to let him go but didnt want to stand in his way of playing for the team he supports...hardly a declining player being shipped out! 

You've said a few times about his lack of pace, or dwindling pace, or about the end of his career...hes not even 30 yet FFS!  Hes a year older than Greg Stewart who we are strongly linked with and a year younger than Candeias, hardly someone who is nearly at the end of this career.

The thing is, the narrow 3 your talking about is very similar to the LW position he has been playing...noone is expecting him to play left mid on the half way line running at people, he has always played further forward!

Anyway, it would appear that the suggestion of changing his position/role as a 30yr old with his "career winding down" is quite rightly not a very popular one.

Stopped at your account must be a parody. Grow up. 

I’ll leave you to your Football Manager games, rest of us will live in the real world. 

1 minute ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Stopped at your account must be a parody. Grow up. 

I’ll leave you to your Football Manager games, rest of us will live in the real world. 

I bet you did...

Nothing more football manager-esque than playing players in a role/position they never have before because you want them to 😉