*****Official Women's World Cup 2019****

I'm sure we are all expecting heavy traffic on the event over the next few weeks. BBC absolutely going full on with it over the channels, probably because it is the only football event they can afford thesedays - so I thought I would put this thread out there. Having watched the highlights of the Scotland v Jamacia game, Scotland look like rank outsiders with a shocking defence ( no change I suppose) but pulled in a decent crowd. 

Anytime I've watched Woman's football the most noticeable thing for me was the lack of play acting and physio's coming on to treat pretend injuries. They tend to suffer the odd hefty challenge and just get up and get on with the game.

let's hope the haven't decided to replicate the men in this frustrating practice of rolling about like they have been sniper shot.

Meh, can't say I will watch any of it, but good luck to them.

Having read about men's U16 teams turning over national women's teams, it must be like watching SFL3. At least they're more honest than the writhing actors and diving cheats of the men's game.

But the BBC is giving this the full propaganda treatment as it if was worthy of equal treatment. It's not.

1 hour ago, Shuggy said:

Meh, can't say I will watch any of it, but good luck to them.

Having read about men's U16 teams turning over national women's teams, it must be like watching SFL3. At least they're more honest than the writhing actors and diving cheats of the men's game.

But the BBC is giving this the full propaganda treatment as it if was worthy of equal treatment. It's not.

More to do with physicality than ability. By 15/16 boys average about 6 or 7 inches taller than women and what, a good few stone heavier? Combine that with the greater speed and women don't have a prayer against males from that age upwards. The technical ability in these tournaments is pretty good from what I've seen, certainly not SFL3. Except for goalies, that I would agree are weirdly terrible.

Also, if the BBC choose to buy the coverage, they're not exactly gonna downplay its importance. Not really about it being equal to men, more trying to play it up in it's own right. Not sure why anyone would take exception to that. Nowt wrong either with trying to play it up to encourage wee girls into the sport either.

20 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

There are a growing number of very skillful technical players, but Hope Solo and others complaining about the prize money compared to the men's game is a fucking joke when you look at the overall standard.

As well as the standard, they seem unwilling and unable to acknowledge supply and demand. When FIFA get attendances, TV Deals and Sponsorship close to what they get for the men's World Cup then maybe that's when you lobby for more prize money?

34 minutes ago, Inigo said:

More to do with physicality than ability. By 15/16 boys average about 6 or 7 inches taller than women and what, a good few stone heavier? Combine that with the greater speed and women don't have a prayer against males from that age upwards. The technical ability in these tournaments is pretty good from what I've seen, certainly not SFL3. Except for goalies, that I would agree are weirdly terrible.

Also, if the BBC choose to buy the coverage, they're not exactly gonna downplay its importance. Not really about it being equal to men, more trying to play it up in it's own right. Not sure why anyone would take exception to that. Nowt wrong either with trying to play it up to encourage wee girls into the sport either.

A woman on average is the same level of development as a 14 year old boy and they regularly get pumped by 14 year old teams, which is nothing to do with physicality. Even if the boys are a bit more developed, it doesn't explain being beaten 8-0.

Having played against the Scotland women's team as a 14 year old boy I can vouch for them being fairly awful technically.

1 hour ago, Inigo said:

Goals should be smaller in the woman's game 

5 minutes ago, TheKingObv said:

A woman on average is the same level of development as a 14 year old boy and they regularly get pumped by 14 year old teams, which is nothing to do with physicality. Even if the boys are a bit more developed, it doesn't explain being beaten 8-0.

Having played against the Scotland women's team as a 14 year old boy I can vouch for them being fairly awful technically.

Aye, I've seen some of the pictures from some of the more famous of those games. U15 teams, which generally mean's boys from 14 to near enough 16. The boys clearly on average bigger and stronger even at that age going from the pics.

Besides, even if there is a quality lag, theres something pretty pathetic about men looking down their noses at women's games and comparing them to the men's... the men's game that has obvious advantages over the women's. Theres something a bit tragic in folk taking exception to women's football getting some limelight.