If we lose Tav, Kent and Morelos...

graeme_4

We’re fucked IMO. 

They’ve a massive rebuilding job over at Torbett towers, but if we lose those 3 then we’re losing our 3 best and are back to being bang average albeit with some money to spend (which we haven’t done wisely in recent years). 

Imperative that we hold onto at least 2 of the 3 if we want 55. 

Wouldn't be good. I think it would require some seriously good recruitment for us to quickly get over losing them.

Certainly couldn't afford to lose any more important starters on top of that.

Kent isn't really our choice, completely up to Liverpool, if they decide to sell instead of a loan then we're out of the picture as the fee will be too high

Tav/Morelos while I agree are the 2 best we have, personally I don't think will ever have a higher value than they do right now. Tav's stats for a right back are insane & Morelos hitting 30 goals again in a season isn't something we can guarantee, especially since next season the media/refs up here are going to be even worse than this season if we're closer to the taigs. Fully expect Morelos to get even more reds & more coverage.

Whilst id rather keep them obviously, we really couldn't be angry at getting 10/15+ million for both of them as long as its reinvested in the squad.

Honestly as long as Tav stays I'm okay with the other 2 going. We played our best football of the season those half a dozen games before Killie on the last day of the season and that was without Morelos. As far as Kent goes, he was brilliant for us but outwith the Old Firm games I don't think he was as important as Tav or Arfield were to the team and we have other players in that position to replace him. 

1 minute ago, Jeffrey said:

Kent probably won't be back and would be OK with the other 2 going if we got the right money.

how many goals did we score last season and how many of those did the 'other two' score and how many assists did the 'other two' contribute

thanks in advance

1 minute ago, thehost said:

how many goals did we score last season and how many of those did the 'other two' score and how many assists did the 'other two' contribute

thanks in advance

Don't know. A lot. Also don't know why you put 'the other two' in quotation marks as if to say I was being derogatory about them.

Just now, Jeffrey said:

Don't know. A lot. Also don't know why you put 'the other two' in quotation marks as if to say I was being derogatory about them.

I think you are being highly dismissive of them and where we would be without them

Kent isnt ours to lose. I can't see Tav going anywhere,  not this season anyway. He strikes me as the kind of guy that wants a trophy.  Morelos has been going for 18 months so I'd be shocked of we haven't sounded out suitable replacements.

1 minute ago, thehost said:

I think you are being highly dismissive of them and where we would be without them

I'd value the two of them at about £25m. I don't think that is being dismissive, I said for the right money we should sell, not that we should be looking to sell.

Is a bid of £8m or more comes in for Tav, i cant really see how the board could knock it back. Think he is 28, and his value will just start to go down.

Money from morelos could really strenghtyen the sqaud.

Tav and Morelos could bring in roughly £22m, that being spent on 5 players would really strengthen the squad.

4 minutes ago, j1mgg said:

Is a bid of £8m or more comes in for Tav, i cant really see how the board could knock it back. Think he is 28, and his value will just start to go down.

Money from morelos could really strenghtyen the sqaud.

Tav and Morelos could bring in roughly £22m, that being spent on 5 players would really strengthen the squad.

Was just about to type something very similar when I read your post. Totally agree that in Scottish football terms 20 to 25m can buy you a lot of quality over 5 or 6 positions. I trust the board to give most of the funds to Gerrad and I trust him and his team to spend it wisely.

26 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

We’re fucked IMO. 

They’ve a massive rebuilding job over at Torbett towers, but if we lose those 3 then we’re losing our 3 best and are back to being bang average albeit with some money to spend (which we haven’t done wisely in recent years). 

Imperative that we hold onto at least 2 of the 3 if we want 55. 

I dont think we can view Kent as "losing him" he was never ours and it will be a massive bonus to get him back but we need to be looking at other players to fill that position...Jordan Jones and Jamie Murphy are two that can do it but even as a big Murphy fan, we have no idea how he will be after such a long lay off or if JJ can cut it.

I would be "happy" to sell Morelos if we got a bid of £15m+, in the past 2 seasons we have spent approx £10m on players and I would expect that level of investment again, regardless of player sales, but to have £10m plus what we make on Morelos would give us a massive pot to invest in 3-4-5 players of real quality!

To be able to go out and buy 4 players at £5m each is something that we havent been able to do for a number of years!

I wouldnt sell Tav unless the bid coming in was £10m+ as he is crucial to the way we play.

Kent was sensational at times but at others average. Not sure we'll get someone cheap that does as well as he did at times, do think we could get someone more consistent and good overall. Think Kent would improve further though, so that would be my preferred option.

Morelos will targeted even more by refs next season. He'll get suspended for fun, not get as many goals as a result, and I think would get completely fucked off with life here. Understandably. Our club dont have the balls to fight this. For that reason I'd sell if we could get say 20m, and reinvesta chunk of that heavily in a striker capable of getting 30+ goals.

Tav would be the big loss for me. I've said my piece previously about the captaincy, but I'll also reiterate that defensively hes improved greatly, and as an attacking force he's exceptional. Out of the 3 he's the one I want to stay.

If the 3 leave, I'd hope we'd have 30m to replace with and invest into the squad.

Gerrard identified Kent, and improved tremendously the other 2, so if they do all go and we get the investment part right we're far from automatically fucked.

14 minutes ago, Brubear said:

Was just about to type something very similar when I read your post. Totally agree that in Scottish football terms 20 to 25m can buy you a lot of quality over 5 or 6 positions. I trust the board to give most of the funds to Gerrad and I trust him and his team to spend it wisely.

Do you? I don’t think he’s spent wisely at all. 

Barasic, Grezda, Lafferty all cost decent money and they’ve been told to GTF already by all accounts. Katic was bombed out for a long period too. 

Worrall, Sadiq, Coulibally and Ejaria were either disasters, didn’t have the right attitude or just weren’t good enough. 

Defoe and Davis were miles off it when they arrived, and while they’ve come good towards the end of the season after the league was over, they totally derailed us in and after the Killie game. 

Best signings have been Arfield and McGregor (who were signed up near enough before SG started) and Kent who’s likely gone.

Not exactly a stellar performance in the transfer market, Goldson and Kamara being the exception IMO. 

Kent we have no say over but would love him to stay.

I would take £30m combined for the 2 if we were offered good money for each player   

Did Villa not let Hutton go?   He could do a good job for us and buy a good top midfielder a top striker and a outstanding winger and still have a few quid left to spend  

Unfortunatly if English premiership clubs throw money around like that then we must take it  and rebuild 

Tavernier is the most important. We lose him then that’ll be that. 

With the money we would presumably get for Morelos we could get a more than adequate replacement, and don’t forget Defoe will do a good job this season. I reckon he’l be looking at around 20 goals and assists for the season from the bench. 

We’ll miss Kent, not badly but we’ll miss the fear he drove into full backs, if we can get a winger that is as almost as good as Kent but contributes assists regularly then we’ll be ok. 

7 minutes ago, jackrfc95 said:

Kent won't be back.

Morelos will go.

Tav I'd be turning down any bids, I think he'd be almost impossible to replace. 

You never know with Kent,.  He was sensational at times after the break but before the break he was okay,. Maybe another season up here is what he needs as if he hits the ground running this season then he could easily get POY and that would greatly enhance his appeal and fee to other clubs. Did he not get YPOY award this season?   But would love him to stay as I think he could be sensational this season for us.

If we get a £12 £14m bid for Tav, then I'm sorry he has to go,. I like Tav, my heart sank for him in the 10 men game at the beggerdome because he was mom up until that pass, but it's a lot of money and grab Hutton if he is avalibke as Villa let him go when they got promoted.  

And I hear Newcastle were sniffing about Morelos