If we lose Tav, Kent and Morelos...

graeme_4

33 minutes ago, Blueteeth said:

I don't know about that, spending more never guarantees you a quality player it just increases the chance. Will the player fit in, be happy, injury free and perform? - those are other variables.

With Tav, Morelos & Kent you know what you're getting unless one of them gets an injury.

Signing 6 x 5m players with say 2 of them being shite, 3 of them being good and one of them being very good doesn't sound that amazing does it? Let's face it, 5m gets you nowhere near the quality you were able to get a decade ago.

Look how much the scum have wasted on their signings, nothing's guaranteed at all and we'd have to be incredibly lucky to get back what we got rid of.

Have faith in Gerrard.  He's getting it.

He now knows the character needed up here, far less the quality.

June 11 could see the opening of the most important transfer windows in our long history.   I think Gerrard has acknowledged in various interviews over the last season that Rangers is essentially a selling club but (naturally) wants to keep the best players.  They'd only be going for top prices.    The point being that if the offer price is right and a player wants to go then the player will go no matter who the player is.   That's the nose and tail of it.

The next questions would be what replacement player(s) are brought in and is the net effect an immediate improvement to the team.   That's obviously the really tricky bit for Gerrard and Allen to deal with.  There's no room for errors or misfits or players who just want to take a lot of time to settle in and all that if the aim is to win trophies next season.   

I think Gerrard has acknowledged that there is much more of a pressing need for Rangers to be winning trophies next season so whoever came in to replace the 3 players mentioned in the OP would need to be of a quality where they more than marginally improved the trophy winning capability of the squad.    It'd be quite a managerial and scouting coup if replacements for any or all of the 3 turned out to be players that improved the side.      So I wish Gerrard and Allen every bit of good fortune, great judgement and fine deal making to replace any or all of these three players with better quality players.      

But if Gerrard and Allen can't achieve that because they don't have enough transfer dosh to do so then the other question that is bound to surface before the transfer window closes is whether Gerrard and Allen think they have enough firepower in the eventual squad to win trophies next season and if they conclude not...…..what then for Gerrard and Allen?  And what then for a Board that might have found itself unable to fund the football ambitions for the Club for next season.

We'll see soon enough who stays and who goes and who arrives.  

Would keep Tav the most personally but I wouldn’t have a problem selling two of them if we were getting proper double figure sums for them (unlikely?) that could be invested in the overall team for next season.

either way we are in our best position since 2012.

Losing players is part and parcel of football but from a position of strength (ie players on long term deals) if we let any our main players go for less than their potential value I’d be disgusted by our club, every board member can hang their head in shame if we sell tav for any less that 10m+ and Alfredo for 15m+ I put the + cos I believe they are worth more, how much more really depends on opinions but the 10m & 15m should be the absolute minimum up front, anything less and we can Start worrying about stopping 20 iar never mind 10 

id hope the club are in a more professional place business wise to get full value but you just never fucking know, anytime in the last few years when it’s looked like we are tuning a corner it’s been take 2 steps forward an 3 steps back 

get it right Rangers whatever the outcome!

even teams like the sheep demanding 10m for McKenna and murderwell demanding 3m for turnbull proves how much we should value our own players

4 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

Do you? I don’t think he’s spent wisely at all. 

Barasic, Grezda, Lafferty all cost decent money and they’ve been told to GTF already by all accounts. Katic was bombed out for a long period too. 

Worrall, Sadiq, Coulibally and Ejaria were either disasters, didn’t have the right attitude or just weren’t good enough. 

Defoe and Davis were miles off it when they arrived, and while they’ve come good towards the end of the season after the league was over, they totally derailed us in and after the Killie game. 

Best signings have been Arfield and McGregor (who were signed up near enough before SG started) and Kent who’s likely gone.

Not exactly a stellar performance in the transfer market, Goldson and Kamara being the exception IMO. 

SG had a say in both Arfield and McGregor, and I don't see Worrall and Barasic as being complete disasters, but as acceptable squad players, and Coulibally certainly has something, which he appeared to lose when he got injured. Katic had off the field issues but early in the season, and to the end he proved he is good enough to partner Goldson. 

So in my opinion he has signed 15 players and 7 or 8 became mainstay first team players, and another 3 0r 4 good squad players, leaving around 4 or 5 who have not worked out. That seems a reasonable strike rate for any manager, especially a novice in his first role. 

If I was to take issue with my comment it would be more of a concern that the funds are fully released by the board than what SG does with it. 

1 minute ago, Brubear said:

SG had a say in both Arfield and McGregor, and I don't see Worrall and Barasic as being complete disasters, but as acceptable squad players, and Coulibally certainly has something, which he appeared to lose when he got injured. Katic had off the field issues but early in the season, and to the end he proved he is good enough to partner Goldson. 

So in my opinion he has signed 15 players and 7 or 8 became mainstay first team players, and another 3 0r 4 good squad players, leaving around 4 or 5 who have not worked out. That seems a reasonable strike rate for any manager, especially a novice in his first role. 

If I was to take issue with my comment it would be more of a concern that the funds are fully released by the board than what SG does with it. 

Don’t understand how sg can be held responsible for every player signed, we have a director of football who has just as much responsibility, as I’m led to believe the way it works is Gerrard identifies a position he wants to strengthen and MA draws up a list of potential options

gone are the days when a manager scouts everybody he signs personally, in the modern era the way a football club works a manager has to have faith in other members of the football clubs staff to do their jobs properly aswell

1 hour ago, HuistraHairDo said:

As long as you don’t start calling him Ta and we don’t have to read your post twice to figure who you’re talking about 👍 only kidding bud call them and whatever you want if it annoys ppl fuck it I would probably do it more myself.

I would much rather keep all 3, as you say they are part of the core but I wouldn’t be panicking if all three went, if MO and TA 😂 did go (and nothing is set in stone as yet) we would get a good price for the two of them and would have to invest in tried and tested players to replace them but there is plenty out there to choose from.

So you think that the club could be selling Mo Ross or Mo Johnstone this summer, are you Doctor Who on a bender??😂

No player is tried and tested to the point that a signing is fail proof. It’s a big gamble to sell our best and hope with fingers crossed that anyone we bring in works from the get go. 

We will survive if we lose all 3 or we lose none.

Nobody's bigger than the club, Kent was a man in total obscurity, Tav was floating about the lower leagues of England and Morelos was scoring goals in the Finnish league.

Its never ideal to lose arguably your best 3 players (arguably because I’d put McGregor and Arfield in with those 3 for our best players last season)

However they are also not Rivaldo, Dani Alves and Batistuta.

I don’t think it’s impossible to imagine a scenario where we buy adequate  replacements for Tav and Morelos and attract another loanee who offers as much as Kent.

3 hours ago, thehost said:

if you get 10 for tav and the 22 that SG has AM valued at you get 32m

can you spend 32 mill and replace high 40 goals and god knows how many assists a season????????? I'd like to think you can but I also recognise you are taking a gamble. If you got 32m I reckon the board might give you 20 of that, on a good day, to spend (inc wages)

If we cant invest 32m to improve us as a team/club in general then the entire footballing department need chased.

2 minutes ago, Bigdave30 said:

We will survive if we lose all 3 or we lose none.

Nobody's bigger than the club, Kent was a man in total obscurity, Tav was floating about the lower leagues of England and Morelos was scoring goals in the Finnish league.

Its never ideal to lose arguably your best 3 players (arguably because I’d put McGregor and Arfield in with those 3 for our best players last season)

However they are also not Rivaldo, Dani Alves and Batistuta.

I don’t think it’s impossible to imagine a scenario where we buy adequate  replacements for Tav and Morelos and attract another loanee who offers as much as Kent.

It’s not arguable at all.

Just now, thehost said:

you are not wrong but still I worry, we are masters at spunking cash for little return

Hard to argue with that and I have a mixed opinion on Mark Allen but I think that sort of money, on top of the money made form Europe and season ticket sales could set us up long term.

Again I'm not pushing to get rid of our best players but if we can get the sort of money we are talking about it wouldn't be all doom and gloom.

I wouldn’t be selling them for any less than £12 Million for Tav and £20 Million for Morelos and with £30 odd Million to spend  like someone else has said I would expect us to try and get 6 quality players at £5m each (on average) then we shouldn’t have any issue challenging for the league if Mark Allen and crew are even slightly competent.

21 minutes ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

I wouldn’t be selling them for any less than £12 Million for Tav and £20 Million for Morelos and with £30 odd Million to spend  like someone else has said I would expect us to try and get 6 quality players at £5m each (on average) then we shouldn’t have any issue challenging for the league if Mark Allen and crew are even slightly competent.

No chance we are signing six players at 5 million each if we sell them for that amount. Some of that money will go into the costs of running the club.

19 minutes ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

If we had 30 million from player sales and got told we could spend 100% of our sales income then we would only be able to spend 20 million of it and 10 on the wages of bought players.

10 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

No chance we are signing six players at 5 million each if we sell them for that amount. Some of that money will go into the coffers to cover the costs of running the club.

Well even 6 players with an average of £4 Million leaves £8 Million left over.

An increase in wages shouldn’t be an issue as it won’t be only Tav & Morelos gone but also the likes of Kent, potentially Grezda, Barasic, Dorrans, Worrall, McAuley, Lafferty, Hardie, Coulibaly, Candeias & Hodson leaving (I would expect at least 6 of them lot to go). Plus the other duds on loan like Pena, Dodoo & Herrera will hopefully be fucking off.

The squad has far too many squad players that need trimmed and some of them will be on good money.

When Gerrard took over he had a lot of players to shift and loads to fill. There's not 1 single manager out there that has got every signing correct and they never will. The bonus this season is he has a squad of his choice to work with and the signings this season will be more about quality than quantity (forget the freebies they are here to bulk the squad up). 

We'll not get Kent back and I'd be happy and confident about selling and replacing Morelos. We need to keep Tav but money talks unfortunately. 

9 minutes ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

Well even 6 players with an average of £4 Million leaves £8 Million left over.

An increase in wages shouldn’t be an issue as it won’t be only Tav & Morelos gone but also the likes of Kent, potentially Grezda, Barasic, Dorrans, Worrall, McAuley, Lafferty, Hardie, Coulibaly, Candeias & Hodson leaving (I would expect at least 6 of them lot to go). Plus the other duds on loan like Pena, Dodoo & Herrera will hopefully be fucking off.

The squad has far too many squad players that need trimmed and some of them will be on good money.

We are probably going to have to pay a lot of money to get rid of a lot of our duds.

It would be gutting if we lost one let alone all 3.... however looking at it financially... we could easily be looking at between £25m - £30m for both.  If we invest even half of that properly then we would still be in a good position to win the league.  That in addition to ST money and other revenue and our club could be looking at it's best financial position in a long, long time.

Always have to consider the positives with these things.  I can understand the bad feeling from the previous 10 years though.