If we lose Tav, Kent and Morelos...

graeme_4

People need to realise that this has to be our model going forward. It’s the same for every big club that play in the non major leagues. The most important thing is going to be our recruitment and scouting because we have to find players to replace the ones we lose and so far the scouting team we have in place haven’t done much that gives me a lot of faith in them.

5 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

People need to realise that this has to be our model going forward. It’s the same for every big club that play in the non major leagues. The most important thing is going to be our recruitment and scouting because we have to find players to replace the ones we lose and so far the scouting team we have in place haven’t done much that gives me a lot of faith in them.

Yup, 20+m for 2 guys we got for under 1.5m is unbelievable business

If we want to realistically stop 10 in a row then selling those know bds of players who are seen as our best is basically throwing in the towel.

I don’t think we would be able to bring in what they give us and I especially don’t think all the money would be reinvested.

I don’t really care about the model we should be following in terms of selling for big profit, stopping them winning 10 has to come first in the short term...well for me it is.

2 hours ago, Tomatasauce said:

Don’t understand how sg can be held responsible for every player signed, we have a director of football who has just as much responsibility, as I’m led to believe the way it works is Gerrard identifies a position he wants to strengthen and MA draws up a list of potential options

gone are the days when a manager scouts everybody he signs personally, in the modern era the way a football club works a manager has to have faith in other members of the football clubs staff to do their jobs properly aswell

Don't disagree with you. My point was that regardless of the process I don't see our recruitment since SG came as being very poor as Graeme was suggesting. 

1 minute ago, Brubear said:

Don't disagree with you. My point was that regardless of the process I don't see our recruitment since SG came as being very poor as Graeme was suggesting. 

It’s not...it’s the market we’re shopping in I’m afraid 

might be decent money for us but it’s the kinda money bigger teams spend on youth players who may or may not be good enough for them 3-5 year down the line after being loaned out countless times

1 minute ago, Tomatasauce said:

It’s not...it’s the market we’re shopping in I’m afraid 

might be decent money for us but it’s the kinda money bigger teams spend on youth players who may or may not be good enough for them 3-5 year down the line after being loaned out countless times

Struggling to tie your response to my comment. Does your "its not" mean you think our recruitment in the last 12 months has been poor or good. I appreciate we cannot compete with the transfer budgets of many other teams outside Scotland, however somewhere in the region of £25m to spend on players required to compete/excel in Scotland is enough to get 5 or 6 players. If we were in the EPL would get you a strikers left foot, but we're not in that market.  

Just now, Brubear said:

Struggling to tie your response to my comment. Does your "its not" mean you think our recruitment in the last 12 months has been poor or good. I appreciate we cannot compete with the transfer budgets of many other teams outside Scotland, however somewhere in the region of £25m to spend on players required to compete/excel in Scotland is enough to get 5 or 6 players. If we were in the EPL would get you a strikers left foot, but we're not in that market.  

I’m saying it’s not as bad as greame is suggesting, when we are shopping in the market we are 

8 hours ago, Inigo said:

Wouldn't be good. I think it would require some seriously good recruitment for us to quickly get over losing them.

Certainly couldn't afford to lose any more important starters on top of that.

I reckon we’d go for windass and waghorn. Instant replacements that know and love the club.

2 hours ago, Rangers_no1 said:

4 or 5?

Of the 19(17) players Gerrard has signed Firth, Polster, Sadiq, Ejaria, Coulibaly, Grezda, Barisic, Lafferty and McAuley for various reasons can't be regarded as a success. Some may turn out to be but for the 18/19 season they've not been.

Many people would argue Worrall was not either especially due to hampering Katic's development and arguably being a massive factor in winning nothing this year. I stand by that McGregor and Arfield were signed without Gerrard.

Jury is still out on Flanagan, Davis and Defoe. I won't be hyping the latter two for a run of 5 games when the title was over and the pressure was off.

Katic, Kent, Goldson and Kamara are the only 'clear successful' signings under Gerrard so far IMO. Hopefully 4-5 others become assets this season.

Not sure we are that far apart on our "didn't work out" list. I see both Firth and Polster as being acquired for the future and never part of last seasons plans so harsh to include them in this camp, I think Firth will become back up to McGregor this season and Foderingham will move on. 

Where we differ is I think Barisic and Coullibaly were not complete failures and were squad players. The rest of your list makes my 4 or 5, have to confess I had forgot about McAuley. 

My successes were basically your 4 plus Arfield and McGregor and to a lesser extent Defoe and Davis.  SG was announced as Manager on the 4th May although didn't take up post officially until 1st June, and Arfield and McGregor signed in mid May. It was reported at the time SG was consulted over the signings, although not sure he could have vetoed if he had wanted to. I am sure he wasn't involved in the selection of these players but as Tomatosauce pointed out in another post, the way modern football works the manager doesn't directly select future signings but has input to the final decision, so I would argue SGs involvement in their signings was no more or less than the others signings through the season. 

10 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

We’re fucked IMO. 

They’ve a massive rebuilding job over at Torbett towers, but if we lose those 3 then we’re losing our 3 best and are back to being bang average albeit with some money to spend (which we haven’t done wisely in recent years). 

Imperative that we hold onto at least 2 of the 3 if we want 55. 

We have to keep hold of Tav and Kent for sure 

The scum are rebuilding and that will surely give us a good chance if we keep stability 

Tav and Kent give us the attacking intent .We can't afford to lose it 

On 04/06/2019 at 11:30, Del said:

I dont think we can view Kent as "losing him" he was never ours and it will be a massive bonus to get him back but we need to be looking at other players to fill that position...Jordan Jones and Jamie Murphy are two that can do it but even as a big Murphy fan, we have no idea how he will be after such a long lay off or if JJ can cut it.

I would be "happy" to sell Morelos if we got a bid of £15m+, in the past 2 seasons we have spent approx £10m on players and I would expect that level of investment again, regardless of player sales, but to have £10m plus what we make on Morelos would give us a massive pot to invest in 3-4-5 players of real quality!

To be able to go out and buy 4 players at £5m each is something that we havent been able to do for a number of years!

I wouldnt sell Tav unless the bid coming in was £10m+ as he is crucial to the way we play.

Scary thing is players at 5m in this period of time can still besub standard players when it comes to scottish football. We dont have the same backup plan as rich clubs when it comes to poor decisions on signings that have been priced according to England rates. 

54 minutes ago, Rambo1872 said:

Scary thing is players at 5m in this period of time can still besub standard players when it comes to scottish football. We dont have the same backup plan as rich clubs when it comes to poor decisions on signings that have been priced according to England rates. 

I agree with you to an extent, but last season we were limited to spending £1-2m on players, like most of our signings last season, and having £5m to spend on a player would surely make a better quality of player available to us?

Kent isn't our player and the price Liverpool want for him pretty much rules us out.  If the club can get a combined £25m-£30m for Morelos and Tavernier then they'll be off.  We can't turn money like that down, it represent brilliant business, and it'll keep the club financially healthy for years to come.

On the pitch, Morelos and Tavernier are our best players and I doubt we could find individual quality like that to replace them.  If we can't replace them then more attack minded players throughout the team to spread those goals and assists around will be needed. 

Our central midfield badly lacked creativity last season and if we can find a couple of guys who create and score goals from that area we'll be off to a good start.  Aribo had 9 goals and 4 assists last season.  Arfield looked far more threatening in an advanced role.  Hastie looks very direct on the RW.  If we get Murphy fit again he can get us goals too.

If Morelos and Tavernier do go I would expect Gerard to get at least half of that money to reinvest in the team.  That wont be a small amount of money but as others have said much depends on our ability to recruit quality players.  It's been very hit and miss in recent years.

tav aye

kent maybe

morelos naw

that said hopefully the club don't punt them on the cheap and hold out for genuine offers. if we get decent money in for tav + morelos then we might be able to get just as good or better replacements. dafty warburton brought tav in and the donkey pedro brought morelos in. i'd trust Gerrard to find suitable replacements.

2 of those 3 names should bring in decent money.  We simply must use that money to buy replacements for them.

If we sell Moreolos for a pile of cash, we need to buy a new RB, at least one new striker, and a new winger ( assuming we don't keep kent)

We would be seriously weakened, but we would only be fucked if we failed to find suitable replacements.

Tav isn’t leaving unless a mental offer comes in. And that mental offer turns into starting price if he replicates this season with a league title and a cup. 

Kent, it will probably be up too him eventually. Klopp might think he’s got what it takes and not want to sell, so he goes on loan, perfect. 

However if he’s deemed not good enough then if the player forces a move here fair enough, can’t see it happening.

Morelos is the one I’ve been resigned to losing unfortunately and I think £16 mill plus will have us sell. I’d love if we held out for £20 mill and released a statement saying Scottish footballs most expensive export but I think the player himself thinks he’s going so I don’t think we have a major say in the price, obviously we won’t entertain nonsense bids but if it’s close to £20 mill he’ll be off

7 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Tav isn’t leaving unless a mental offer comes in. And that mental offer turns into starting price if he replicates this season with a league title and a cup. 

Kent, it will probably be up too him eventually. Klopp might think he’s got what it takes and not want to sell, so he goes on loan, perfect. 

However if he’s deemed not good enough then if the player forces a move here fair enough, can’t see it happening.

Morelos is the one I’ve been resigned to losing unfortunately and I think £16 mill plus will have us sell. I’d love if we held out for £20 mill and released a statement saying Scottish footballs most expensive export but I think the player himself thinks he’s going so I don’t think we have a major say in the price, obviously we won’t entertain nonsense bids but if it’s close to £20 mill he’ll be off

Had a "debate" with a bear in the taxi who is convinced we wont get more than 3 million for Morelos :lol

I think he might be a bit mental.

6 minutes ago, gogzy said:

Had a "debate" with a bear in the taxi who is convinced we wont get more than 3 million for Morelos :lol

I think he might be a bit mental.

Haha that’s madness. My old man seems to be of that variety as well. There seems to be fans out there that just like to be different and moan at everything. 

Tend to be older as well, no ma fault ye grew up wae Gazza and Laudrup and I’ve had tae put up wae Sebo and Bob Malcolm, who weren’t the worst going by 2012-2016 haha

7 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Haha that’s madness. My old man seems to be of that variety as well. There seems to be fans out there that just like to be different and moan at everything. 

Tend to be older as well, no ma fault ye grew up wae Gazza and Laudrup and I’ve had tae put up wae Sebo and Bob Malcolm, who weren’t the worst going by 2012-2016 haha

I'd have bitten your hand off for a sebo or malcolm in those years :lol: