Glenn Middleton Joining Doncaster Rovers On Loan

Bronzy

Rangers winger Glenn Middleton will join Doncaster Rovers on a season-long loan.

Record Sport understands Steven Gerrard has agreed to farm Middleton out to the English League One side as the 19- year-old bids to get regular first-team football.

The teenager enjoyed his breakthrough campaign at Ibrox after arriving at the club in January 2018.

He spent the first half of last season in the Rangers first team before returning to the development squad.

Middleton made 28 appearances and scored five goals for Gerrard's side including one in the 4-3 Europa League defeat away to Spartak Moscow last November.

Rangers now have several options in the wide left position with Northern Ireland winger Jordan Jones the latest recruit to arrive from Kilmarnock.

https://www.BOYCOTT THIS LINK/sport/football/football-transfer-news/glenn-middleton-leave-Rangers-doncaster-16506785

Didn't we sign Middleton from Norwich? Seems a big step down to be playing in League One in England.

With the way he's been in and out of our first team last season, he's probably thinking to himself that he might as well have stayed there. If he had done then he might've seen Premier League Football next season.

12 minutes ago, BouncyBluenose87 said:

Didn't we sign Middleton from Norwich? Seems a big step down to be playing in League One in England.

With the way he's been in and out of our first team last season, he's probably thinking to himself that he might as well have stayed there. If he had done then he might've seen Premier League Football next season.

He played for Norwich under 16s or some shite

14 minutes ago, BouncyBluenose87 said:

You surely don't think Middleton was playing for the Norwich first team prior to signing for us?

14 minutes ago, BouncyBluenose87 said:

He went from a development squad at Norwich, with next to no chance of breaking into the first team, to Rangers. Even if he had signed for Doncaster permanently it would be a step up to playing in a development squad!

19 minutes ago, ShanksRFC said:

You surely don't think Middleton was playing for the Norwich first team prior to signing for us?

Thought he might have been tbh. Thought for a few seasons there Norwich were hardly setting the heather on fire. I reckon, Middleton could've improved them.

Happy he's our player though as I'm a fan, but would rather see him challenge himself at a higher level than English League One.

I hope does well in this loan spell and returns an improved player.  In a way I find this loan move disappointing.  It seemed to me the player had now seen enough of what was needed to become a successful player at Rangers and had done very well in the latter part of the season.   I thought he might have been a player to have built on that experience and become a useful first team squad player for next season.

Clearly Gerrard and the DoF think otherwise and don't yet have enough confidence to elevate the player to first team squad hence this move.  Hopefully they are right and the player goes on to improve his game and improve his eventual chances of first team football at Rangers.   If not, then despite all the scouting and coaching effort signing him risks being a waste of money and effort as far as benefit to Rangers is concerned in which case it'd be yet another scouting signing that was a percentage 'hope for the best' type of signing that hasn't worked out.  

41 minutes ago, BouncyBluenose87 said:

What does where we signed him from have to do with it? The big step down will be from the Rangers first team to Doncaster Rovers.

That said, players need to play consistently to develop. If we can't offer that to him here from the beginning of next season then he should be finding first team football on loan, I would imagine we'll have a recall option should we want to use it. 

Game time is crucial to his development. He'll still be involved in our club as the loan manager will be in close contact, and will be driving for Rangers standards to be met by him down there. But first and foremost he needs to fight his way into regular starts like Greg Doc has.

9 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

What does where we signed him from have to do with it? The big step down will be from the Rangers first team to Doncaster Rovers.

That said, players need to play consistently to develop. If we can't offer that to him here from the beginning of next season then he should be finding first team football on loan, I would imagine we'll have a recall option should we want to use it. 

I'm a fan of Middleton. He was the only winger we had last season that would be able to beat a full back with his pace and get a ball in from the bye line. He was something a bit different to the other wingers we have, who all tended to cut inside and play everything in front of the opposition defence. Think he's a brilliant wee player with so much potential.

After finding out that he was going out on loan, I was hoping a higher calibre of club would come in for him than Doncaster Rovers though. Bit underwhelmed by that. Was hoping for English Championship level or staying at a club here in the SPL to help take points off our enemies. Anyway, it'll be what it'll be for now and I hope he does well.

52 minutes ago, ElBufalo20 said:

Don’t get these loans to lower league English clubs.

Get him at Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs in the league where we actually play and can see if he’s good enough for it.

Would also help take points off the tarriers as well as not being able to play against us.

It’s looks the way forward, gets the players used to playing in the league against the players they are going to be up against if they make it to our first team, it gets a pair of eyes and ears into opposition dressing rooms, It would hopefully make things harder for the bead rattlers and would come with a clause so they cannot start against us.

1 hour ago, BouncyBluenose87 said:

He didn’t game any where near the game time at Norwich than he has done here. Don’t know if he even got a single appearance, whereas he’s started Europa league games for us. He’s also a bear. Don’t think he will regret joining us at all.