Welcome Greg Stewart

12 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I’m not trying to make it sound like a bad goal though am I? It’s a good finish but do you think any player that plays for us is getting the space and freedom that he did there to do that?

Yes.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

People said that when we signed MOH too and he could barely get any space to run into because every team packed 10 men behind the ball.

Jordan Jones is going to face the same issue IMO.

MOH could barely get any space because he was shite and running like a headless chicken was his only strength.

Stewart and Jones have far more technical ability than that cunt.

1 hour ago, DBBTB said:

People said that when we signed MOH too and he could barely get any space to run into because every team packed 10 men behind the ball.

MOH was just a tarrier version of Gregg Wylde. It was plain to see that would never work out. Still baffled by the decision to sign him to this day :confused:

I wouldn’t put Stewart in that category though because: 1. he’s not a rabid bheast and 2. he has some technical footballing attributes. He doesn’t necessarily need acres of space to be effective - he’s quite neat and tidy from what I’ve seen. 

2 hours ago, DBBTB said:

I’m not trying to make it sound like a bad goal though am I? It’s a good finish but do you think any player that plays for us is getting the space and freedom that he did there to do that?

It's maybe a 20 second clip. are you saying that there has been no one in SPFL games for us this season that has had that space for 20 seconds?

2 hours ago, DBBTB said:

Middleton the very same , agree I saw jones in the same bracket as MOH wylde and Middleton to 👍🏻

19 minutes ago, Burts91 said:

It's maybe a 20 second clip. are you saying that there has been no one in SPFL games for us this season that has had that space for 20 seconds?

Of course I’m not saying that but generally speaking games involving us are nowhere near as open as that. It’s a different game entirely when you are playing for us.

At the end of the day cute little gifs of him scoring a great goal doesn’t really tell us the whole story, just like YouTube videos don’t, because nobody is going to make videos highlight a players bad points are they?

From what I’ve seen of him, Stewart has talent and he will probably be fine as a squad player but I think he’s 1) too much of a luxury player and 2) lacks the mentality to become anything more than that for us.

I'd hope (given that he supports us and wanting to prove that he belongs with us) that he would turn up to pre-season in absolute tip-top shape and proves a fair proportion of our support wrong (like Kamara has). 

15 hours ago, JackAlex93 said:

So many knee jerk reactions. Youd have thought the signing of Greg Stewart had guaranteed celtic 10 in a row. The window has barely been open. I trust Gerrard knows what he is doing. 

This. The comments from Rangers fans on Instagram when the club announced the signing was embarrassing with every second person spouting pish like 'announce Kent' and 'that's not how you spell Kent'. 

Really hope Greg does well for us. 

27 minutes ago, siamthedanger said:

This. The comments from Rangers fans on Instagram when the club announced the signing was embarrassing with every second person spouting pish like 'announce Kent' and 'that's not how you spell Kent'. 

Really hope Greg does well for us. 

The announce Kent patter Is howling

“I’d play him off a front player because he can open defences up and score. For me he has more than enough ability. I know he is as good as anybody on his day.

But he can also play in the wider area and he will offer Rangers good versatility. He has scored over 45 goals in his spells at Dundee, Kilmarnock and Aberdeen.

I don’t think that’s a bad return because he’s not a No. 9.”

Paul Hartley (I know, I knows) thoughts on his position and he’s the manager who’s got the most consistent form out of him in his career so far.

If Stewart is meant to exemplify the intention to obtain quality in preference to quantity then it is, imo, not a conclusion I would be reaching.    on 16 May - barely a month ago - Allen and Gerrard asserted to us that signings were to be about quality.    None so far, imo, are in the bracket of signalling an improvement in quality.   Clearly there is a way to go yet in the transfer window and doubtless players will also be transferred out so those coming in may help as squad replacements...…...but by no stretch of any imagination I can muster up are the signings of Stewart, Jones and Hastie an improvement on quality.

If those are the sorts of signings Gerrard is hoping will be enough to shift into higher gears and actually win trophies next season then its an admirable level of optimism.   There must surely be other signings who arrive who, when allowance is made for any players who depart, lead to a plain and readily defensible conclusion that the quality of the squad has been improved.    Right now there is no improvement imo but final view is reserved until the summer transfer window closes and we see which other players arrive (and which players depart).

Archived