Kris Boyd retires

G.E.C.

Shame it never worked out for him the second time around. I think Boyd needed a strong manager and we were a shambles being run like a Butlins holiday camp by McCoist.

Utterly bizarre that he scored 22 goals in the SPFL and then couldn’t score in the Championship for us a few months later.

28 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Shame it never worked out for him the second time around. I think Boyd needed a strong manager and we were a shambles being run like a Butlins holiday camp by McCoist.

Utterly bizarre that he scored 22 goals in the SPFL and then couldn’t score in the Championship for us a few months later.

Couldn't adapt to the strict skelpy arse training regime under Ally. 

All the best to him. Terrific finisher. Gave me some brilliant moments. 

His second spell was a disgrace, but did enough in his first for it to be forgotten about. 

1 hour ago, DBBTB said:

Christian Daily starting in midfield and Lee McCulloch upfront. Some of Smith’s choices were baffling but more often than not it seemed to work out for him.

Think he gave players like those two specific roles, then they carried them out to the letter to the betterment of the team effort.  

Lovely mixture of football awareness & man management gave somewhat limited players a purpose on the pitch.  

Best wishes in retirement from playing football and thanks for the huge contribution during his time at Rangers.

It'll be interesting to hear the lines he takes about Rangers in a pundit career going forward now that he has retired from playing.    And whether he plays the 'controversial pundit' game to add yet more unhelpful provocation towards his former club.  Or will we see Boyd looking to add some pro-Rangers counterbalance to the Scottish punditry anti-Rangers stances we so often see and hear, including from our former players.      He'll now presumably have an opportunity to redress some of the punditry imbalance and it'll be interesting to hear what approach he takes. 

17 minutes ago, Amokachi said:

Think he gave players like those two specific roles, then they carried them out to the letter to the betterment of the team effort.  

Lovely mixture of football awareness & man management gave somewhat limited players a purpose on the pitch.  

Exactly. It wasn’t always the most pleasing on the eye but his roll of honours won speaks for itself.

4 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Should have done more IMO, particularly during the 9IAR era.

You could say that about a lot of managers though. Sir Alex Ferguson for example arguably could have done more with Man Utd, particularly in Europe, but that doesn’t mean what he did achieve isn’t great. Smith is the same.

8 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Exactly. It wasn’t always the most pleasing on the eye but his roll of honours won speaks for itself.

Agree wholeheartedly.  

Would take us winning games, titles & cups any fkn way tbh.  

Never forget a European home performance by Edu, he’d been playing dross for weeks & the fans were getting on his back.  Walter put him in a specific role in midfield to combat the opposition  & he was outstanding that night.  

4 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Some goal scorer. One of the best natural finishers I’ve ever seen.

One I vividly remember was in 2009 against Motherwell. I was back in Glasgow on holiday and sat in the Club Deck and saw him hit one on the half volley from about 25 yards.

I forgot about that goal until I read your comment. Fucking outrageous goal!