Hastie and McCrorie update

TMB

Gerrard has revealed that he’s got no plans to send new boy Jake Hastie out on loan.

The young winger, snapped up from Motherwell, was reportedly going to be farmed out, with the likes of Jordan Jones, Sheyi Ojo, Jamie Murphy and Daniel Candeias all competing for places.

But Gerrard has been impressed with Hastie’s attitude and ability at their pre-season camp in Portugal and wants to give him a chance in friendly games against Oxford United, Marseille, Blackburn Rovers and Derby County.

Hastie’s international team-mate with Scotland U21’s, Ross McCrorie, could face a different scenario with Gerrard admitting he might struggle for game time this term.

The Rangers boss said: “Jake has just walked through the door and this will be a big change for him.

“The idea now will be to keep him here, to get him used to Rangers and his team-mates.

“He will get opportunities to play and shine, then we’ll go from there.

“I’m delighted to have him, he’s got a huge future.

“With Ross, I’ll have a conversation with him as the pre-season goes on.

“It will boil down to what Ross’ ambitions are. A lot of boys think differently to the way I think. 

“It will come down to what will satisfy Ross over the course of the season.

“If he’s expecting to start every single game, that won’t be the case.

“But I’ll speak to him before deciding what to do next.”

Personally, I'm not a big believer in the loan system. I would rather train next to Defoe in the best facilities in the world than learn my trade at Alloa. I believe I would've  become a better player without actually playing. When I was young like Ross, this would have been my choice. Rossiter went out on loan and where did that get him despite getting ten MOTM awards.

45 minutes ago, Sash tap said:

I’d look to loan him out to a club like Hearts.

McCrorie has a lot to offer but he isn’t Gerard’s type of midfielder - we’ve known this for a while now.

He also isn’t as poor on the ball as made out.

Nowhere near as bad. 

7 hours ago, Bearsden bear said:

I like Mccrorie but it seems he is further away from the 1st team now than ever.

Got to trust Gerrards judgement on this one.  It could be loan or punted, squad is massive and hes as well getting games than sitting in the stand imo.

I like him too but the question has to be asked as to how much he’s kicked on in the last 2 years. The quality of our midfield is improving all the time and while I see a role for him I cannot see him as a regular starter with what we have. 

Imo mccrorie was written off as a centre half too quickly after a bad old firm game. Prior to that he looked quality at centre half when he was played there. As others have said he does not have the ability on the ball to make it to the top as a midfielder. I’d be interested to see him get some game time on loan in the spl at centre half. 

6 hours ago, King Jela said:

Nowhere near as bad. 

I have to agree with you on that one. I reckon though compared to the other guys we have playing there such as Kamara and Davis he is not as strong as they are on the ball but he more than makes up for it with his aggression and tenacity. 

If we get through to the group stages in Europe then McCrorie becomes a key squad player - great at sitting just in front of the back four to break up play and add strength to the midfield particularly against stronger teams away from home.

Plus, who else do we have to go in goals when shagger loses the plot  😃

I’d like McCrorie to stay.

He’s different to the rest of midfielders we have and there will be some games we need him in.

If he does stay then dont see the point of another CH as he could fill in if required and we’d still have Goldson, Katic and Edmundson.

10 hours ago, bluenoz said:

Personally, I'm not a big believer in the loan system. I would rather train next to Defoe in the best facilities in the world than learn my trade at Alloa. I believe I would've  become a better player without actually playing. When I was young like Ross, this would have been my choice. Rossiter went out on loan and where did that get him despite getting ten MOTM awards.

Im sure some of our loans in the past have continued to train with us but play for the other team

If a McCrorie loan is his desire, then it has to be another SPFL Premiership team where he'll play every week or a good championship team in EFL.

Sending him to the minors won't do us, or more importantly, him any good.