****Rangers Goalscorers and Assists Tables 2019/20****

Broxi

50 minutes ago, Broxi said:

Not going to award an assist for the Aribo goal, it was a solo goal, he skinned 4 players before shooting. 

He doesn't get the opportunity without the one-two. That makes no sense to me mate but no other outlet gave an assist either.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, bluenoz said:

He doesn't get the opportunity without the one-two. That makes no sense to me mate but no other outlet gave an assist either.

The chance isn't made if Davis doesn't head the ball to Aribo either. The stats should show meaningful actions of creating goalscoring chances. Imo if you give an assist for every 2 yard pass at the halfway line that a player then runs 50 yards past the whole team and award an assist for it then how useful are the stats? Hagi played a nice one two but didn't create a goalscoring opportunity, Aribo created the chance for himself by then going past a further 4 players.  I think the stats are most useful when they actually indicate creativity in setting up a goal and not necessarily just "they played the last pass". It's subjective at the end of the day but the official assist rules follow this logic too and given nobody else has awarded it as you said I think it's the correct call personally. 

46 minutes ago, Broxi said:

The chance isn't made if Davis doesn't head the ball to Aribo either. The stats should show meaningful actions of creating goalscoring chances. Imo if you give an assist for every 2 yard pass at the halfway line that a player then runs 50 yards past the whole team and award an assist for it then how useful are the stats? Hagi played a nice one two but didn't create a goalscoring opportunity, Aribo created the chance for himself by then going past a further 4 players.  I think the stats are most useful when they actually indicate creativity in setting up a goal and not necessarily just "they played the last pass". It's subjective at the end of the day but the official assist rules follow this logic too and given nobody else has awarded it as you said I think it's the correct call personally. 

Tbh, I respectively disagree. In fact, I believe football should recognize two assists the way they do in ice hockey. There are also opposites to your arguement. For example, Kent could make a mazy 50 yard run, pass to Aribo, who makes a two yard pass to Morelos who scores. Kent gets no mention.  This is no slight on you mate, I love this thread and check it always.

9 hours ago, bluenoz said:

Tbh, I respectively disagree. In fact, I believe football should recognize two assists the way they do in ice hockey. There are also opposites to your arguement. For example, Kent could make a mazy 50 yard run, pass to Aribo, who makes a two yard pass to Morelos who scores. Kent gets no mention.  This is no slight on you mate, I love this thread and check it always.

That’s my point mate, it’s why I wanted to make it a key pass stat this year instead of assists. Assists don’t really mean that much half of the time. 

Archived