Andy Firth

DaleFo8

3 hours ago, Robb said:

Just curious. Does anyone wear no.13? 

A load of pish i know. Just asking. 

Back in the day when the players were numbered 1-11 , the Rangers subs were 12 and 14 . Couldn't tell you if it's been used since squad numbers were introduced . 

8 hours ago, born a blue nose said:

Retired after the disaster.

Wes Foderingham currently has the number 13, which he had last season also. I think that was the first season for a long time we had a number 13, but I'd have to check it.

9 hours ago, Negri's lovechild said:

It's just a number. The retiring of the number 13 at least has significance as a gesture and comes from a place of respect to those we lost in that horrible tragedy. 

As stated earlier, retiring 12 was just placating the fans at the time and it really means nothing. 

Quite like Firth's attitude though. He knows chances will be few and far between and really seems to appreciate how big this club is.

Sorry to tell you., mate, but the number 13 has been used by Wes Foderingham for the past 2 seasons since McGregor returned.

The number 12  hasn't been fully  "retired"  since at least 1997 (possibly earlier) because since that season the likes of Jonas Thern,  Claudio Reyna,  Bob Malcolm, Ugo Ehiogu, Steven Davis, Lee McCulloch,  Richard Foster,  and Lee Wallace,  have used that number before we were demoted from the Premier League.  Lee Wallace was our last player to have the number 12 jersey in the 2011-12 season until now when Andy Firth was apparently given it.

***** Since season 2012-13 Lee Wallace has worn the number 5 shirt.

10 hours ago, DBBTB said:

A keeper had to wear it in Europe a few seasons ago IIRC but generally speaking it’s not a squad number that we allocate.

I'd have to disagree with you, mate. From at least the 1997-98 season  (or possibly before that)  Jonas Thern,  Claudio Reyna,  Bob Malcolm, Ugo Ehiogu, Steven Davis, Lee McCulloch,  Richard Foster,  Lee Wallace,  had that number before we got demoted for season 2012-13 It's never been used since then until now when given to Andy Firth.

2 hours ago, Ozblue said:

I'd have to disagree with you, mate. From at least the 1997-98 season  (or possibly before that)  Jonas Thern,  Claudio Reyna,  Bob Malcolm, Ugo Ehiogu, Steven Davis, Lee McCulloch,  Richard Foster,  Lee Wallace,  had that number before we got demoted for season 2012-13 It's never been used since then until now when given to Andy Firth.

That’s all fine and well but I was talking about the number 13, which I can only remember two players having in my lifetime. :lol:

1 minute ago, DBBTB said:

That’s all fine and well but I was talking about the number 13, which I can only remember two players having in my lifetime. :lol:

That's the problem with threads that start off with a topic such as this about Andy Firth having the number 12 jersey and get morphed into a completely different topic about the number 13 jersey. :headwall: The only one I'm 100% sure of who wore the number 13 shirt  (apart from Foderingham) was Antti Niemi.  I also seem to remember Boni Ginzberg wearing that number around 1991 but I wouldn't put my money on it.

7 minutes ago, Ozblue said:

That's the problem with threads that start off with a topic such as this about Andy Firth having the number 12 jersey and get morphed into a completely different topic about the number 13 jersey. :headwall: The only one I'm 100% sure of who wore the number 13 shirt  (apart from Foderingham) was Antti Niemi.  I also seem to remember Boni Ginzberg wearing that number around 1991 but I wouldn't put my money on it.

Alexander had to wear it in Europe at one point too, but yeah I can’t remember many players wearing it in my time.

27 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Alexander had to wear it in Europe at one point too, but yeah I can’t remember many players wearing it in my time.

Yea mate, I remember we had to have that number in Europe if needed but it was never mandatory in domestic games (or when we played in the lower leagues, possibly)  Fucking hell, back in my day when there was no such thing as substitutes, an outfield player just chucked on the goalie shirt over his own and got on with the game.