Our midfield setup

We badly need to have at least 2 of them further up the park forcing back opposing midfielders and generally pushing the game towards the opponents box, davis, Jack and aribo play far too deep and not only does it invite players on to us, meaning one slack pass puts us in trouble, but it also isolates our main striker, especially when arfield is stuck wide left or right 

I dont think davis and jack are too similar, id drop davis, play arfield and aribo right up the park and id actually play halliday out left, jones just hasnt clicked yet for me

Look at arfields goal against the tarriers, a midfield runner going beyond the striker, we dont have that now as all 3 centre mids want to be the one playing the initial pass

Our midfield looks like a defence playing the offside trap when we have the ball, so many times the last two games you could draw a straight line through them going across the park. Don't know how Gerrard expects to break teams down if this is the shape that's being drilled into them. 

4 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

What has happened to the midfield formation towards the end of last season, that was working a treat ?

It did rely on Kent being an out ball though, a player we don’t appear to have replaced in terms of what he brought to the team.

I’d like to see Davis and Kamara in the same midfield though - I thought they complemented each other really well.

It would then allow Aribo to play in the more advanced role.

I’d also go with Arfield playing off Defoe and stick Jones out left to see how balanced that looks.

We just don't seem to have the same balance going forward at one point we had three midfielders and a defender near the touchline playing tippy tappy with the ball. We need to be more direct but more worrying for me is the manager thought we played well. I thought we were slow and  one paced with us giving the ball away a lot or playing the ball side to side and very wasteful in front of goal and it was boring to watch a lot of the time. Happy with the win but we need big improvements throughout the team if we are to be successful this season.

Got to play arfield,Davis and aribo against teams like killie who just defend all game.

that gives us much more of a attacking threat then our midfield today even though I thought jack had a good game.

what is evident is we still need a attacking player added but window closes 

15 minutes ago, Sub Genius said:

It did rely on Kent being an out ball though, a player we don’t appear to have replaced in terms of what he brought to the team.

I’d like to see Davis and Kamara in the same midfield though - I thought they complemented each other really well.

It would then allow Aribo to play in the more advanced role.

I’d also go with Arfield playing off Defoe and stick Jones out left to see how balanced that looks.

Who plays right mid lol

4 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Who plays right mid lol

Davis, or Arfield, depending on your viewpoint.

We played this way at the end of last season - the Xmas Tree formation - with Davis and Kamara sitting deeper and Jack getting forward, but I think Aribo looks far more suited to that role.

It’s not 4-3-3, more 4-3-2-1, or if you like, 4-2-1-2-1

1 hour ago, King Jela said:

He’s frustrating as fuck in these types of games. Hasn’t a creative bone in his body. 

Imo today is exactly the type of game jack is suited to. Tough team on a plastic pitch who want to make it a scrap, he picks up a lot of loose balls, battles their shitey midfielders etc. I’d drop him for the games against smaller teams at Ibrox as, like you say, he isnt very creative. 

30 minutes ago, Teddybear123 said:

Imo today is exactly the type of game jack is suited to. Tough team on a plastic pitch who want to make it a scrap, he picks up a lot of loose balls, battles their shitey midfielders etc. I’d drop him for the games against smaller teams at Ibrox as, like you say, he isnt very creative. 

I wouldnt, he provides the centre half cover for when the defence have to cover the maurading fullbacks, 

Jack, aribo, arfield is my midfield 3, but we need wingers, i think the candeias sale will haunt us the now

I wouldnt, he provides the centre half cover for when the defence have to cover the maurading fullbacks, 

Jack, aribo, arfield is my midfield 3, but we need wingers, i think the candeias sale will haunt us the now

How will it haunt us? He was here for two seasons and we won nothing with him playing.

That’s a fair point re centre backs, but to be honest I’d hope that a midfield of Davis kamara/docherty and aribo would mean we can get a few goals regularaly at Ibrox and Davis being the only sitting midfielder won’t be too much of a problem.

Definitely need another winger. Can’t think of a single positive thing ojo did today. Not writing him off but it’s still cause for concern judging by the last 3 games. Would like to see jones start the next game. 

4 minutes ago, jjbscotty12 said:

How will it haunt us? He was here for two seasons and we won nothing with him playing.

Because imo ojo is a different winger to candieas, jones is the same as him and isnt playing well, if you think cause he didn't win anything with us means we wont miss him, then the same can be said for morelos etc

If we had candieas the now id play ojo on the left, make him and candieas play right on the touchline and stretch teams, ojo on the right cutting in, and arfield on the left cutting in narrows the game and stifles the space for others 

7 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Because imo ojo is a different winger to candieas, jones is the same as him and isnt playing well, if you think cause he didn't win anything with us means we wont miss him, then the same can be said for morelos etc

If we had candieas the now id play ojo on the left, make him and candieas play right on the touchline and stretch teams, ojo on the right cutting in, and arfield on the left cutting in narrows the game and stifles the space for others 

Candeias was chronic last season domestically.