Why hasn't Gerrard targeted a midfielder who can shoot?

the_r_sole

15 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

You can see how Klopp has tried to evolve it a bit but signing Keïta and Oxlade Chamberlain but Keïta is taking time to settle and AOC is obviously coming back from injury.  

I think now we are into his second season Gerrard is looking to develop the team a bit in the same way with the addition of Aribo.

I also think it’s interesting that  Liverpool have Shaqiri on the bench who can come on and be that sort of x factor in any of the front positions or off the front for them if they are struggling and I think we’ve signed what is obviously a poundland version of him in Stewart to perform the exactly same role in the squad for us. 

Everything Gerrard does for us is inspired by what Liverpool are doing and that’s obviously because he wants that job in the future and if all goes well they have a succession plan in place for when Klopp leaves.

I get what your saying and klopp is one of the very best to emulate as such but very rarely does a manager be successful trying to copy someone else's recipe for success. 

Sooner or later Gerrard must become his own man and decide for himself what's best for the here and now, if not he risks becoming another warburton

2 minutes ago, rabc10000 said:

I get what your saying and klopp is one of the very best to emulate as such but very rarely does a manager be successful trying to copy someone else's recipe for success. 

Sooner or later Gerrard must become his own man and decide for himself what's best for the here and now, if not he risks becoming another warburton

A slight exaggeration with the Warburton reference but I agree with what you are saying. He should learn/listen to Klopp while adopting his own style.

38 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

As much as I love the player Ryan Jack, can we please no mention him in the shooting category from distance. He is really poor at it.

I predict Edmundson scores a screamer this year!

He should watch the replay of Ray Wilkins goal against the filth. 

I still watch it. 😁

Not sure I agree with this. 

Ryan Jack has evolved over the past 6 months to someone who likes having a dig and for an industrious midfielder he’s popping up with a few goals. 

Aribo, barring one good and one excellent save would’ve have already scored 3 with all of them outside the box. 

Aribo will be that guy 

12 minutes ago, Amokachi said:

Big Katic hit a screamer in one of the friendlies, almost snapped the bar in two.  

That was against Oxford Utd. and had to have been a 30-35 yard bullet. If the 'keeper hadn't have got a slight fingertip to it, that was the goal of the season right there. I think the crossbar was still shaking at half-time.

Think the OP is looking for a problem that isn't there. As has already been said Aribo and Ojo (maybe others too) have scored from outside the box in recent weeks.

My concern is that we don't shoot from outside the box often enough, but believe that's because Gerrard doesn't want us to play that way.

19 minutes ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

Bring back Ally’s training tactics.........hit the bum shots. :craphead:

But we do seem to have a lack of players who are able to shoot from distance.

The scum have a good few who are capable, always annoys me that we don’t.

I listened to an interview on ClydeSSB last night and they had Ryan Christie.  He said Lennon has told them to “shoot on sight”.  The new full-backs they have are apparently getting forward and just firing it in to the box.  They’ve taken a very direct approach to things.  

Against Kilmarnock this Rangers team we’re passing it side-to-side far to much.  

Just now, TMB said:

I listened to an interview on ClydeSSB last night and they had Ryan Christie.  He said Lennon has told them to “shoot on sight”.  The new full-backs they have are apparently getting forward and just firing it in to the box.  They’ve taken a very direct approach to things.  

Against Kilmarnock this Rangers team we’re passing it side-to-side far to much.  

That is a very specific tactic, albeit one that I absolutely hate with a passion as much as the shoot on sight target it. 

I fully get the philosophy Gerrard is going for and while many of the top European teams can play this I don't think we have the players to do it with the success Gerrard thinks or expects it to bring and quite frankly at its best is boring as fuck to watch and if this is the way we will play all season it could well turn into a real borefest. 

Worst part is I hate Liverpool FC with a passion but no one can deny they are one of the most exciting and dynamic teams to watch in world football lately

8 minutes ago, BouncyBluenose87 said:

Think the OP is looking for a problem that isn't there. As has already been said Aribo and Ojo (maybe others too) have scored from outside the box in recent weeks.

My concern is that we don't shoot from outside the box often enough, but believe that's because Gerrard doesn't want us to play that way.

Did you think the killie game showed a different approach to the many occasions we dropped points last season?

I'm not talking about in games against poor opposition or friendlies, I'm talking about games where we have good, well drilled teams sitting in - like most games where we dropped points in the last couple of seasons. We need a perceived threat from outside the box so that opposition teams have to work hard to come out and stop shots, at the moment a lot of teams are happy to let us have the ball up until 25 yards then they start defending with everyone behind the ball because we telegraph how we are going to try and attack and move the ball slowly, looking for short intricate passes to shoot from a few yards out from a cut back...

Players that consistently score from outside the box tend to be players of a high standard generally. Last ones we had were probably Gio, Mendes and Albertz. They're mostly going to cost a helluva lot. 

Just now, Inigo said:

Players that consistently score from outside the box tend to be players of a high standard generally. Last ones we had were probably Gio, Mendes and Albertz. They're mostly going to cost a helluva lot. 

Cant see any of those 3 players costing too much too come out of retirement to play for us however still reckon they would still do a job for us atm

32 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Albertz is one of my favourite Rangers players of all time but he would have to up his game big time to play these days. 

Was economic in his work rate at the best of times 😂 

2 hours ago, rabc10000 said:

I think what Liverpool might be trying to do now is implement a Ajax/Barca type thing where it’s a one philosophy club and then try to school people associated with their club into it and in years to come Klopp will be seen as the sort of Godfather of it.

Agree with you on Gerrard 100% though Was saying that on a thread somewhere after the Progres game.  He needs to learn to be more tactically flexible and figure out how to change things up. Personally speaking I would like to see us try a 4-2-3-1 more with a more defensively minded full back behind a winger who hugs the left hand line and Aribo playing ahead of Davis and Jack/Kamara rather than beside them.

2 hours ago, the_r_sole said:

So you dont think it was very clear in the game against killie that we couldn't draw a team out because we dont have a goal threat outside of the box?

The killie game showed the same issue we suffered all last season and the season before, it just so happened that they were the best team defensively we've come up against so far and we offered nothing different to the problems which plagued us previously. 

We are more likely to play teams like killie most weeks than st Joseph's or progres... If you dont believe it's a problem in our team I think you're watching different games to me, maybe I'll be proved wrong by the end of the season but at the moment it looks very much like we will run out of ideas quickly against half decent defences

Funnily enough.. just went through Midtjyllands forums and they are saying, after watching games/highlights of our games, that we are a team that shoot a lot from outside the box and from places you might not expect it.. 

We have played one game so far in the league and it is FAR too early to say... especially against a team like Killie, which we struggled with big time last season. We were all over them this time and were unlucky not to score more goals. They have a good keeper!!

Reckon Aribo will grab his fair share this year - more concerning for me is lack of players with the ability/confidence to take someone on in a 1 v 1 situation.  Was noticeable  Kent was streets ahead in that department last year, was hoping Aribo could be a that sort of midfielder but doesn't really look like it so far.  Tav at least goes for it, Barisic did against us so maybe could if he wasn't so terrified to make a mistake.  One of the main reasons we end up with so much side to side passes and struggling against teams that sit deep IMO, here's hoping Jones, Ojo can step up.

Probably about the 10th person saying this but Joe Aribo? Nearly single handedly won us the game with his shooting on Sunday. A wonder save from the Kilmarnock goalie stopped him doing just that!

Greg Docherty can shoot from outside the box to.