Welcome to Rangers Brandon Barker

DeanMK

5 minutes ago, josmc said:

Can’t believe some folk are writing the boy off before he’s kicked a ball for us. Kent wasn’t pulling up any trees before he came to us. Fuck sake, give the lad a chance. If he’s shite then I’ll join in with the crucifixion. 

I really don't understand why people keep making this point. Kent hadn't played in the SPL before - Barker has. He's not an unknown quantity - you can watch footage of him playing against most of the teams we'll be playing this season and it's very clear he's not as good as Kent. People are frustrated because we needed to improve this summer and, in this position, we've clearly taken a step back. 

12 minutes ago, josmc said:

Can’t believe some folk are writing the boy off before he’s kicked a ball for us. Kent wasn’t pulling up any trees before he came to us. Fuck sake, give the lad a chance. If he’s shite then I’ll join in with the crucifixion. 

5 Feb 2018 - Brandon Barker is set to be sidelined until April after it was confirmed that the Hibs winger suffered a torn ... Brandon Barker was injured at....

4 Apr 2019 - Preston North End's Brandon Barker could have played his last game for the club after being ruled out for the rest of the campaign......

He could be the next Ronaldo but if he's injured for months at a time every season he'll be a useless addition to the squad. Here's hoping he's over the worst.

26 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

Looks like we're to be given a dose of Barker for this season and beyond when it was a repeat dose of Kent that everyone wanted (Gerrard included).    

It wouldn't necessarily be Barker's fault as it depends on how much Gerrard is prepared to play him and how well Barker himself performs when he's given the chances to play but if this season turns out to be yet another season without any trophies then it seems to me to be very possible a lot of Supporters may well look back at this signing as being the point at which the Board watered down its ambition to win trophies ie failing to find the means to sign a player in Kent who we know can be a very effective player for Rangers and betting instead on a 'maybe' player.   

The difference between knowing that someone can cut it for Rangers in this league in games that really matter (ie Kent) and someone who is untried and unknown in delivering the sort of quality needed at Rangers to win games.    It seems for now that when it came to finding the means to back the ambition to win the league title / cups the Board decided it would not find the money and chose instead an attempt to get there on the cheap.    We'll see how this signing (and lack of signing Kent) pans out over the course of the season but right now I don't think we have anywhere near as good a player in Barker as we would have had in Kent.     

I wish the lad all the best obviously, but it does seem that he is Kent's replacement. IF that is the case then I believe we are weaker than last season on the left side and I would have liked us to try and get a player nearer to the quality of Kent, if he is indeed not available. Surely if Kent was available then Barker would not have been needed.

I have no idea if Stevie has been told that we cannot afford anyone more expensive or he is happy to go with Baker, but I also hope it is not a miscalculation by who ever decided not to bring in a better left sided winger. Only time will tell on this situation I suppose. 

Well with such low expectations from everyone, the only way is up.  Here's hoping he turns out to be decent and surprises everyone.

I'm sure I read online that he's two footed so might be the reason SG wanted him to have an option of someone capable of going down the wing and cutting in.

Thought he look ok against us when he played for hibs.  Don’t know his stats or anything but I still don’t think the squad we have is title winning material.

tbh if we sign Kent I still think we’re short as I’m pretty sure the stats on him weren’t that great either despite the hype around his performances against the filth.

1 hour ago, Marky. said:

Should do more than Grezda did, SHOULD be more quality than he was.

Over-stacked out wide now though without anyone that has the quality to make the position their own.

We could sign a double amputee and it would be hard for him not to contribute more than that imposter Grezda.