Left back

GOAT

2 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Good, weird that you count Flanagan as a left back but not Halliday though

I just said earlierFlanagan was brutal tonight. Just because we don't have a good LB doesn't make Halliday good. Flanagan is not a LB. But neither is Halliday even though he is left footed. 

1 hour ago, tannerall said:

Glad Gerrard resisted the temptation to play Steven Davis at left back tonight.................

To be fair, it does work occasionally (Beasley, Valencia, Ashley Young etc) but there aren’t many and they were mostly converted wingers as opposed to “oh fuck, I’ve bought a dud and Big Peter will kick my arse if we get gubbed” panic decision to move the greatest midfielder in the world.

Now, if he could just pass like Scott Allan.....

:pipe:

Barisic has to come good, he just has to.  I think he needs an extended run in the team to build his confidence - if that’s what’s lacking. He has shown that he has ability and I think we’ll see it more regularly if he gets a run. 

As the only natural LB he needs to make the position his own - and if he can’t - we need to go out and buy a LB in Jan. Halliday is a great squad player - he gives everything but cannot be the long term solution. 

20 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I just said earlierFlanagan was brutal tonight. Just because we don't have a good LB doesn't make Halliday good. Flanagan is not a LB. But neither is Halliday even though he is left footed. 

Andy is not a natural left back, but is the best of the three.

Against the scum Flanagan gets wrong footed and left for dead with Forrest  and Barisic goes into hiding looking for a spine. 

That's the measure.

1 minute ago, Blue Avenger said:

Andy is not a natural left back, but is the best of the three.

Against the scum Flanagan gets wrong footed and left for dead with Forrest  and Barisic goes into hiding looking for a spine. 

That's the measure.

but that's the thing BA, the best of three still doesn't mean good. Tbh, and I hate to say it but Borna is the best of the three.

5 minutes ago, James Rolle said:

Barisic has to come good, he just has to.  I think he needs an extended run in the team to build his confidence - if that’s what’s lacking. He has shown that he has ability and I think we’ll see it more regularly if he gets a run. 

As the only natural LB he needs to make the position his own - and if he can’t - we need to go out and buy a LB in Jan. Halliday is a great squad player - he gives everything but cannot be the long term solution. 

Correct, he isn't and I doubt we will be bringing another LB in, so in the meantime you play the best you in the position and that's Andy. 

The Flanagan pal's act with Gerrard will prove costly, so let's hope he is now seeing it, before we really get hurt in the league.

9 minutes ago, James Rolle said:

Totally agree.  Barisic needs to get a run of games.  No point in one game then out for 3 then off the bench or whatever.  If we aren't going to play the guy then off-load him.   He should be a starter on Sunday at East Fife.

1 minute ago, bluenoz said:

but that's the thing BA, the best of three still doesn't mean good. Tbh, and I hate to say it but Borna is the best of the three.

Borna is the best technically of the three, but he is spineless.

The measure is against the scum. On the right Tav struggles to get back and his positionng is also poor. Barasic is just spineless and up against Forrest.

The scum know well our weakness and in a scum game, you need to be up for a fight and thus far Barasic aint that and a spine is dufficult to grow if you aint born with one.

We cannot afford anyone who isn't up for the fight. Pretty much Gerrard's own words as the challenge to all the players.

As for Flanagan, yes he's tough, but on the wrong side of the park, slow as a week in the jail, hesitent and can't go forward. Easily turned by Forrest.

In the meantime it's makeshift with the best you have got for the position.

2 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Borna is the best technically of the three, but he is spineless.

The measure is against the scum. On the right Tav struggles to get back and his positionng is also poor. Barasic is just spineless and up against Forrest.

The scum know well our weakness and in a scum game, you need to be up for a fight and thus far Barasic aint that and a spine is dufficult to grow if you aint born with one.

We cannot afford anyone who isn't up for the fight. Pretty much Gerrard's own words as the challenge to all the players.

As for Flanagan, yes he's tough, but on the wrong side of the park, slow as a week in the jail, hesitent and can't go forward. Easily turned by Forrest.

In the meantime it's makeshift with the best you have got for the position.

If it against the scum only then for me it is Flanagan against nae neck. I actually like the thread about trying Polster. Maybe East Fife?

2 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I take it Hellander can't play full back?

He is left footed and I think I heard some mention he could play various positions when he signed.

Would be ideal if he could as it will be hard for him to displace the current centre backs on form.

really ? He doesn't seem to have pace but early days so I could be wrong. would be great if he could.

2 hours ago, Big Al II said:

Yes, was about to say Halliday would have been better, but to be fair Flannigan had some tremendous challenges on the big lad in the air

Sadly for Flanagan defenders (unlike strikers) are judged on their mistakes and Flanno's mistakes have cost us goals recently.

Halliday should be first choice LB every single game. Genuinely don't know why he's not considering the competition.

It's an area we need to strengthen but right now Halliday is easily the best LB at the club right now.

14 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

If it against the scum only then for me it is Flanagan against nae neck. I actually like the thread about trying Polster. Maybe East Fife?

Flanagan against them puts us down to 10 at some point in the match. Halliday has been excellent against them since Gerrard came in. His tackle against Ntcham last December at Ibrox set the tone for the entire game.

1 minute ago, Jamie0202 said:

Flanagan against them puts us down to 10 at some point in the match. Halliday has been excellent against them since Gerrard came in. His tackle against Ntcham last December at Ibrox set the tone for the entire game.

I will agree with you with the slide tackle. It sent a message and that is why he is a valuable squad player but good teams/players expose him for his limitations.. See it for who he is instead of what you want him to be.