Left back

GOAT

Jesus wept. Halliday being put forward as our best left back. 

I'm sure he would be a starter for Croatia if his grans name was Ivana..... 

In all seriousness. Lb is a problem area but I feel Gerrard isn't helping by continually rotating them. For me Barisic needs a run of games, it's plain to see he has ability he needs to be bedded into the team and be given the opportunity to adapt. If he continues to unimpress then move the guy on. 

On another note I'm actually waiting for katic to make one mistake so Gerrard has his excuse to pap him out the team too. 

55 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

Halliday should be first choice LB every single game. Genuinely don't know why he's not considering the competition.

It's an area we need to strengthen but right now Halliday is easily the best LB at the club right now.

Gerrard watches Flanagan, Barisic, and Halliday, everyday in training.  If Halliday was easily the best LB at the club then he would be playing at LB.  That’s clearly not the case.

29 minutes ago, BigBearButt said:

Jesus wept. Halliday being put forward as our best left back. 

I'm sure he would be a starter for Croatia if his grans name was Ivana..... 

In all seriousness. Lb is a problem area but I feel Gerrard isn't helping by continually rotating them. For me Barisic needs a run of games, it's plain to see he has ability he needs to be bedded into the team and be given the opportunity to adapt. If he continues to unimpress then move the guy on. 

On another note I'm actually waiting for katic to make one mistake so Gerrard has his excuse to pap him out the team too. 

dont think Barasic suits our style of play. At his best he whips in balls to...who? We dont play in a manner that suits him. Watch the games where he plays and we just pass to him who ends up whipping in balls to no-one. As limited as Flanagan is at least he gives it instantly to more creative players and we build from there.

14 minutes ago, TMB said:

Gerrard watches Flanagan, Barisic, and Halliday, everyday in training.  If Halliday was easily the best LB at the club then he would be playing at LB.  That’s clearly not the case.

I can only judge on when I see them play and Halliday consistently performs better than the other two. Couldn't care less if Barasic is scoring overhead-kicks on a daily basis in training, it only matters in the real thing.

7 hours ago, Burts91 said:

Bring in Greg Taylor. 

I agree and not just because he is linked with septic I think it's only possible if a few fringe players leave. But King loan deal came out of the blue. However Taylor does appear in earlier threads to divide opinions just like the 3 in question 

Flanno, I'm sorry but hes utter pish. Puts us in trouble with his passing and has already cost us alot of goals.

Halliday, for me has not done badly in this position but he has his limitations and the gaffer clearly doesn't see him as first choice.

Borna, Croatias left back, clearly has a very cultured left foot but tbh hes been terrible for us. Looks afraid to play.

What do we do here? Do we put our faith in borna and hope it happens for him or do we need to sign someone? Taylor from killie is a decent player but how much would he cost? 

7 hours ago, Jamie0202 said:

Sadly for Flanagan defenders (unlike strikers) are judged on their mistakes and Flanno's mistakes have cost us goals recently.

Halliday should be first choice LB every single game. Genuinely don't know why he's not considering the competition.

It's an area we need to strengthen but right now Halliday is easily the best LB at the club right now.

Yes all very true, but sometimes you pick the best player for the battle at hand. Halliday may not have allowed that cross to come in, but he may have lost the ariel and physical battle against the big man.

Them and us seem to have an issue with this position. Square pegs in round holes. Barasic should be more than capable but has no confidence and struggling to cope with the pressure. Flanagan is the go to man when steel is required but lacks the finesse when it comes to passing etc. Halliday will always do a job in the blue jersey but not sure he can go up a level. We plod on with what we have as we no doubt continue to search for the man with the golden boot.

People are already making the same excuses for Barisic that they were making last season. How long do we give him to “bed in” and get “up to speed” before we say enough is enough?

He’s 26 years old, has played international football and we paid a decent sum of money for. If he’s not doing it after a year then the chances are he’s probably never going to, and to be honest, I don’t think he has the heart for it and that’s something that can’t be taught on the training pitch or worked on in the gym.

6 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

People are already making the same excuses for Barisic that they were making last season. How long do we give him to “bed in” and get “up to speed” before we say enough is enough?

He’s 26 years old, has played international football and we paid a decent sum of money for. If he’s not doing after a year then the chances are he’s probably never going to, and to be honest, I don’t think he has the heart for it and that’s something that can’t be taught on the training pitch or worked on in the gym.

Time is running out for him, he's got until January for me. 

Flanagan is terrible. He has a couple of average games and people seem to think he's alright for the job, he's shite. Puts in  a decent tackle once in a while and wins support for that.

If Halliday had been a new signing without people judging him based on previous seasons we'd probably be happy with him. He starts for me every week, it's his place to lose. He's definitely not the answer but at the minute he's the best we have until either we spend or Barasic realises this potential that I personally don't see.

3 hours ago, DBBTB said:

He’s 26 years old, has played international football and we paid a decent sum of money for. If he’s not doing it after a year then the chances are he’s probably never going to, and to be honest, I don’t think he has the heart for it and that’s something that can’t be taught on the training pitch or worked on in the gym.

+1

5 hours ago, DBBTB said:

100% bang on